Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #1
braxiss
Major

Default heros

ever wonder why we're at war?
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #2
kitty
Bad Email Address

That was very moving.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Bombadil

That's good, Braxiss. Thanks.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

ya know... that's THE thing that's really important in our iives right now.

its alot more important than all the arguments over a tv show. (In my very Humble opinion). Not that I don't love BG. I do. But well... worrying over whether hatch is on a TV show, or even if Starbuck is a girl, those grate us. But ya know, how do you compare a work of fiction to hearing on the news everyday that some young kid who wasn't even alive when we watched BG the first time is now dead from some Iraqi carbomb.

I can't get angry over Katee anymore. I don't like her. I don't care for how Moore and Scifi disregarded us fans. But well... Its just seems so distant when ya hear the news everyday from Iraq.

God Bless the United States. And protect her from harm.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I remember waking up on 9/12 and telling my 5.5 month old (at that point) that she would grow up in a much different world than I had grown up in.

The quotes in that are beautiful and strong reminders of what this democratic, republican experiment took to begin and will take to continue.

Thanks for sharing that.

God bless and keep all those serving our country whether with arms, aid or as contractors rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure. And God grant us wisdom as we chose who would best serve us as leaders against this fluid foe.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #6
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thanks for sharing that, a reality check is good for everyone. Sometimes we get so caught up in our everyday life we wear blinders and turn our focus away from what is going on in the world around us.

We all tend to forget what really made this nation so great <<< Our freedom>>>Its true freedom isn't " free", the price is high.

May God continue to bless our leaders, our nation and our military.

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #7
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Amberstar said:
"May God continue to bless our leaders, our nation and our military"

Jewels said:
"God bless and keep all those serving our country whether with arms, aid or as contractors rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure. And God grant us wisdom as we chose who would best serve us as leaders against this fluid foe."

Amen.

Thanks for posting this, Braxis.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

braxiss,

Thank you so much. That video left me with tears in my eyes, again. It was a horrible day, that can not be easily forgotten, nor should it. As a customer service rep, I was talking with people in NYC who were telling ME what was happening. I couldn't believe it at first.........until I went on break and saw the news. It was a life-changing moment for me. Never before had I been witness to such horror and I found that my biggest challenge was how to explain the events ("why it happened") to my very impressionable, compassionate 11 year old daughter. It was difficult at first, trying to find the perfect words but, after a bit, I quit trying to sugar-coat it and just told her the truth.

Events like this shake me to the very core and I find it necessary to seek some type of closure, in order to move forward. Most times, I find it necessary to journey to the site and try to make peace with the events. I've been to Oklahoma City and to Shanksville, PA. Hopefully, in the near future, I will be able to get to DC and NYC. For me, only then, will the true healing begin.

Thank you, again, for this reminder. THESE are the events that are defining our lives, not some "realistic" show on television.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 03:29 AM   #9
bsg1fan1975
Major

my children will grow up in a world where we used to think we were still unreachable in our nation and we found out the hard way we were wrong.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 03:48 AM   #10
kitty
Bad Email Address

As a Brit growing up in Londons outskirts, , I grew up with terrorism (IRA), seeing the destruction they reaked. It was great when it stopped, and you began to feel safe.
It was unbeleivable that something on the immense scale that happened on that dreadful day, could ever happen.
Now no where is safe, and its a shame, to me its regression rather than progression.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:22 AM   #11
doc834
Bad Email Address

In my 16+ years career in the Navy, I have never felt so vulnerable. I have always felt safe in the knowledge that We were the best that the nation had to offer. But, unless we can rely on our foriegn allies, we are vulnerable.

I have faith in our system. I have faith in my military. I have faith in my country. I have faith in humanity. We will find a way to heal all our wounds.
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:59 AM   #12
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

That is the third time I have been to that site and every time it brings tears to my eyes and raises the hair on my arms.

My boss gave me a tribute to 9/11 CD-ROM provided to him by some colleagues at the NYPD that contains some very moving and disturbing images and I'd be happy to make a couple of copies and send them out if anyone is interested. Some of the slide shows contain images that I have seen elsewhere, but a lot of it appears to be found nowhere else, including copies of radio transmissions from the emergency services personnel that day. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 12:40 PM   #13
bsg1fan1975
Major

the horror of what happened that day will stay with anyone who is old enough to remember what happened. We can only learn from it and try our best to safeguard our country. We lost our innocence that day and will never regain it.

Old April 27th, 2004, 01:37 AM   #14
Senmut
Strike Leader

Let's just hope we stay worthy of the Divine Blessing.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:00 AM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
ya know... that's THE thing that's really important in our iives right now.

its alot more important than all the arguments over a tv show. (In my very Humble opinion). Not that I don't love BG. I do. But well... worrying over whether hatch is on a TV show, or even if Starbuck is a girl, those grate us. But ya know, how do you compare a work of fiction to hearing on the news everyday that some young kid who wasn't even alive when we watched BG the first time is now dead from some Iraqi carbomb.

I can't get angry over Katee anymore. I don't like her. I don't care for how Moore and Scifi disregarded us fans. But well... Its just seems so distant when ya hear the news everyday from Iraq.

DITTO!!!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #16
braxiss
Major

today is a time to remember, may we never forget.

and with gods help may we find peace
braxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #17
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss
today is a time to remember, may we never forget.

and with gods help may we find peace

AMEN Braxiss..........Well said.
Old September 15th, 2004, 03:55 AM   #18
bsg1fan1975
Major

My sister knew someone who went to Iraq and has heard recently that he was home now, uninjured. When I was on my trip Labor Day weekend I had a chance to visit with my late dad's remaining sister and she told me that it looks like my cousin Tommy will be going over there. So now we are praying that he doesn't. I don't want to have to sit and worry for him being killed in a foreign land.

Old September 16th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #19
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss

ever wonder why we're at war?
That was very, very moving thank you braxiss for sharing it.
Old September 16th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #20
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
My sister knew someone who went to Iraq and has heard recently that he was home now, uninjured. When I was on my trip Labor Day weekend I had a chance to visit with my late dad's remaining sister and she told me that it looks like my cousin Tommy will be going over there. So now we are praying that he doesn't. I don't want to have to sit and worry for him being killed in a foreign land.
I'll keep your cousin in my prayers
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #21
braxiss
Major

may we never forget, and may god watch over us
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:21 PM   #22
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Ive seen that video a few times now, and I didnt want to write this. I still dont think I should, but I guess maybe I will. Ive mentioned that I lost friends on the plane that went down in Penn. Who I lost is my own business. Im still touchy about it. Lately Ive posted some strong opinions about the effects that war and loss visit upon those left behind. I dont need to go into this anywhere else, I would ask you respect that this opinion stays here, among a seemingly small group. If so thank you.
Rage. I think its the only word I can assign to the feelings I felt, still feel about how they died. They didnt choose to be soldiers. They were peaceful. They had a baby kitten named poober. He had folded a flag up to give to me for reasons of my own. She had brought my stuffed teddy bear from my home. We had planned to go to dinner and later to show them the wonders of the west coast, then back to home in Arizona.
They had always been part of my life, and now they are gone. And I am angry. I am very angry. So now what? Where do we go from here? Weve killed a lot of people, they had it comming I guess. I dont feel better though. I know that we had to hit them back. I know that its wrong to question why we are still there. I know that Im not in the majority when I question what good we are doing dying for someone elses liberties when back home we need those people badly.
I miss my friends. I miss other friends who are in the Marines. I miss them all the more because Im afraid they are going to die as well. I dont understand how them going over there and dying now will make anything better. Nothing is going to make this better.
When others rushed to join up, to go fight, maybe I was wrong to run the other way, to join those working to save lives, not take them. I dont know how to reconsile my feelings. I fight every day to save just one more life, knowing that people I love are fighting just as hard to take one. Will I know them if they come back? Will we ever be able to speak again? I watched that video again today, and today I wrote this. I dont know what this stupid letter is saying really.
I just want to know when people can stop dying for someone elses hatred. I want to know when I will see the last body pass by my desk with a sheet over the face and blood staining the white. I know that nothing is the same, but have we forgotten something else, have we forgotten how to stop? Maybe Im wrong to even post this, and Im sure I am. Im sorry, its probably wrong, it might seem disrespectful to those who are fighting, to those who died. I dont mean to.
I dont want anyone else to die. Not us, not them, not anyone. People have spent so many hours telling me why we went there, I guess Im just wanting us to come home, and let our families be back together. To learn to love again. To hold onto our mothers and fathers before they are dead. To have just one more chance to be there before there are no more chances. Some people call it closure. Maybe. I just pray for it to end.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:53 PM   #23
fuzzy

Has a volunteer fire fighter and E.M.T I see the worst that people can go threw every time my pager gose off . These things stay with you the rest of your life but you still have to climb on the truck next time and do it again !Seeing all the bad that happens around the world and right here in our on back yards its so hard not to just go numb inside !Yet I find you hold your loved ones closer and enjoy the good times alot more !
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM   #24
bsg1fan1975
Major

Heart

I found out last month from my older brother that my cousin Tommy did go to Iraq and thank the Lord he came home unhurt.

As you can see from the last part of my sig, I am now the proud sister of a U.S. Army soldier. My baby brother just graduated Thursday from Basic. I made the trip to Ft. Knox with our parents to see him graduate and just got back here this morning in the wee hours. And on top of this, his fiance is going through basic as well.

I salute my husband and anyone in my family who has served or is serving in the military as heros because they are putting their lives on the line to keep us safe. God Bless our Military!

Old October 1st, 2005, 09:20 AM   #25
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Arlene it sounds like your very proud of your family and you should be.

God Bless you and good luck and there hurried return safely.

Old October 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM   #26
bsg1fan1975
Major

I have had so many in my family that are either current military or former military that I have lost count. I am looking forward to Febuary when my hubby finally retires after over 20 yrs of service from the Navy.