Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #1
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Another Last Post

This is directed primarily at Ernie ... although free for all who care. I hope this clears up a few misunderstandings.

In the "critical error" thread you stated that my apology put you off. Never my intent for anyone but I also do not embrace being labeled as "hateful" or other such slanders when I truly am not that way. Thomas and I disagree on many things and I hope over time he'll come to accept that his definitions do not have any authority over me, just as mine do not have any over him. Thomas is an outstanding artist and a magnificient member of fandom. We disagree on much but I do not want our disagreements to ever affect anyone else.

Everyone in the managements of The Cylon Alliance (Cylon.org) has great respect for Colonial Fleets. In times past, we called ourselves "sister sites" and the like and shared an association that was perhaps too close. For practical and personal reasons the sites and moderators had to go their own paths. Cylon.org still supports Colonial Fleets even though I have been personally told by the members here to go away as I was a bad influence. Ernie, you may have been one of those participants. I'm not sure as I didn't keep track and don't really think its important anyway.

For anyone wishing to join Cylon.org, let me be the very first to repeat the warnings already given. It is not a forum for the faint of heart. A few who went there and thought they could take swings at others and not get hit in return have learned that, Eric being the latest. Different forums have different ways of handling disagreements and troublemakers. At Fleets, the moderators quell trouble before it tips the board off of the scales. At Cylon, we give everyone blasters and rudimentary target practice in the hopes they'll shoot the troublemakers before they rob the bank. Both moderating approaches have their own strengths and weaknesses. I never claim that Cylon is for everyone. Neither is Fleets. Different boards have different appeals. If you like them, enjoy them. If not, move elsewhere. Just as I don't enjoy anyone coming to Cylon.org and launching a whine-fest against Fleets or MediaBLVD, I don't appreciate reading such rants about Cylon elsewhere. Its been my experience that those who "just feel compelled" to complain about other boards were usually the ones causing the trouble. Running any BBoard is a challenging task and I can only think of one element in the BSG fandom that does that with anything but the best intentions. All boards eventually cause some member a bad experience. Its a very rare exception that poor treatment, either through a direct act or misinterpretation, is intentional. Mature people understand that. I hope everyone here keeps that in mind the next time the Fleets mods do something that may seem rash or a bit out of bounds. No moderator or admin can run one of these things without some errors every now and then.

Eric's complaints voiced here concern the "Calling You Out" section. That section showboats the core of Cylon and illustrates just how different it is from a place like Fleets. Concurrent with freedom of speech is responsibility. At Cylon.org, if you've used your freedom of speech in a hostile manner or to spread falsehoods or cause emotional harm to others, you're expected to address that member's concerns/objections if they so choose to "Call you out". This accountability is part of the price of membership and your liberal freedom of speech. Honesty and integrity are valued more highly at Cylon than anywhere else and if you violate them, you will likely be called on it. Every member at Cylon.org is subject to being called out, including the moderators. We've found this to be a very effective checks and balances system. So far, only those the moderators feel were intentionally trying to cause trouble seem to have objected to it. I have personally been called out. Although I didn't enjoy it, I did take it like a man and answer all of the concerns as I'd expect all others to answer them. If you're not willing to stand by your own words, you have no place at Cylon.org. Some people have a big problem with this concept but I really don't care. It works very well for us and has never been used as a "revenge" tactic from what I've seen. We encourage all new members to read the RULES and we make the CALL OUT section very apparent.

My apology here at Fleets caused more turmoil than I'd expected. The responses I gained from Eric and Thomas made me feel needlessly insulted and attacked. Others felt that I was disrespectful in my statements. I accept much of that responsibility for not making the initial apology far more specific. It is never my intention to disrupt another board just as I don't enjoy anyone disrupting mine. I hold Don (the owner here) in too high esteem to ever give him insult, even if only by causing turmoil on his Board. Don is a great guy and its been my pleasure to communicate with him as I have. I've enjoyed our many chats and wish we both had time to enjoy many more.

In the past few months I have stepped away from the mechanics of running Cylon.org. The Cylon Alliance is in very good hands with a moderator staff that I greatly respect. Erik will be revamping the new members procedures in the near future. We had to close the board around Nov/Dec due to the huge bandwidth upsurge we got from lurkers. We were drowning in overage charges. Since fandom has become far more quiet, Erik has planned a membership revamp that should work better in the present environment.

For those who ordered me to go away, none of this was meant as an insult or as disrepect for your edicts. I have not returned to cause you disruption but to address uncertainties about my board. Since I am neither a participant here or someone who is welcome, I would appreciate it if those with a chip on their should (like Eric) could show common courtesy and avoid trashing my board in my absence. Just because it didn't appeal to them doesn't mean that it doesn't appeal to quite a few others.

Sandy

P.S. Still love you Jewels.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

As both a moderator here and a participating member at CA, I take vigorous exception at anyone who would continue to attempt to drag out the argument. I have removed a post I believe does that.

Thank you, Sandy, for clarifying your intent; CA and CF are, indeed, very different boards and there is no reason why we cannot celebrate our differences and still continue to work in concert for the betterment of BSG fandom as a whole.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
Cylon.org still supports Colonial Fleets even though I have been personally told by the members here to go away as I was a bad influence.
Sandy,

Not everyone, here, feels that way. In fact, a lot of us are damned lucky to have you as a friend. You have been there, for Fleets, many times in the past. Some of us DO REMEMBER!

I understand the disagreements that you and Tom have but, many others don't. Mainly, the newer members. There are elements of truth in both your words and Tom's. I have the utmost respect for both of you gentlemen and it tears at my heart to see this unpleasantness between you two. You and Tom need to talk, privately. I believe enough, in each of you two gentlemen, that an understanding can be reached.

Now, to the membership of Colonial Fleets:

Sandy is an honored friend of the Fleet. He has been in the past, is right now, and will be in the future. His post on this thread was to clear up misconceptions from the "Apology" thread.

As if the previous words, above, have not spelled out, I will go on record and say that I am proud to call Sandy my friend.

Likewise, I am proud to call Tom my friend. He has been there for me, so many times, that I've lost count. (Must be senility creeping up on me!)

I'm not in the habit of telling others what to say or think but, before you post a response to Sandy's remarks, take some time to educate yourselves on all of the facts. (Many from last year).
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Hi Sandy,
I'm chimining in on this already closed thread--because I can and because I respect both you and Thomas and the members of both boards.

Cylon may not put up with any whiny, girlie men (their words, not mine), but I have made them put up with girlie women on occasion and they've lived through it. Reminds me, you all need some fresh flowers and my lilacs are blooming their little hearts out.

Both boards are good places with good people at the helms & rudders. Some will like CF, some will like Cylon and some will hang with both. Be warned, hanging with both occaisionally makes you a little bipolar. :laugh:

I'm still nuts about you too Sandy, but I'm about to kick your butt about this "last post" nonsense. Door's always open and you are always welcome to wander in. Peace and love to you and Tom both.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I love having a little jewel of a post to read each day.

Sandy, I appreciate that you come hear to make peace. And as far as I am concerned you are fully welcome to come hear to have fun too.

CF is all about just relaxing and having fun, leaving your troubles behind you.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."

Closed Thread