Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 30th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default The Moore trailer convention review

if you saw Moore's railer at con please post a review here:

(I'm writing mine now)

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

The trailer was alot like I expected from the rumors of it.

The special effects were VERY rough. Most was FAR from complete. Some renders of the ship were very boxey (forgive me Noel) and I was surprised at that. Some of the guys woriking on it were surprised at that too cause there were many better more finished scenes to have shown. But still the effects held out great promise. It looked like it would be on a level with Farscape when done.

The scene with Edward James Olmos on Adama was slow but at times very sentimental. The ship is being retired and the crew pulls back a red sheet to unveil Adama's original viper. The one he flew loooong ago. His crew found it and restored it as a very kindhearted gift to their commander. Along with a picture of Zack and Lee. (Does Zack have a real name or is that his call sign?) It was a good scene.

There were some action scenes of a viper failing to launch. It was frenetic and had lots of good energy. I enjoyed it.

But then there was the poker game. The one where Tigh and Starbuck slug it out. The whole thing was lacing for redeemable qualities. Even if you forget that this scene has anything to do with BG it will probably annoy you. All of the characters are written as kinda petty and argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. (The female Boomer isn't cause she hardly talks.) But Tigh and Starbuck start up a fight for no real reason. The arguing sounded like very young children. Their whole antagonistic attitude toward each other didn't even make sense. You can even try to add in a background fill story to try to explain it but it STILL don't work.

Frankly, if this is any indication of the new Starbuck, you aren't going to like her. not because she is a remake of the original, but because her acting is weak and her character is badly written. Sometimes you are drawn to evil villians, sometimes to good heroes, sometimes to plain folk, but Starbuck is none of the above. I don't think I would like her in real life.

I would guess that Moore has a good grasp on action scenes. But is weak on human interaction. And I'm talking in the mini not his presentation (which really had some lows). The old Star Trek Next Generation had a noticable weakness in writing stories for women. Remember Dr Crusher's Ghost Lover? Well... that seems to be continues here. Be prepared to be entertained when vipers are in the air. The designs aren't as good as Desantos or the original. The Cylons ships have faces in the front and biiiig foreheads. But the special effects are top notch.

Since the pilot will be mostly action be prepared to be bored for awhile but then enjoying the action. But when the thing hits series, be prepared to turn the channel cause the dialog will be a turn off.

Old October 30th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #3
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Tom said most of it in his review above. I'll make comments on various items, though.

That Friday night, I watched the entire video presentation from start to finish. Like I said in another thread, I started with an open mind when I entered Ronald D. Moore's panel session.

The video was introduced by Mr. Moore. He mentioned it had been put together by SCI-FI Channel and probably wouldn't show up anywhere else. I think it was gracious of them to bring actual footage to show us. When the video rolled, the camera zoomed across space with an interesting drumbeat sound. A distant object came into focus as the camera sped forward, revealing the new Galactica ship while the titles appeared above it. Nice touch. (Made me think of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.")

I imagine the f/x folks were cringing a bit, as the fully realized shots hadn't been added to the video clips yet. (And they quickly confirmed that afterwards, along with their disappointment on that topic.) We watched short vignettes of scenes from the mini-series as Tom described above. (Everything we saw appeared to be from the first half of the two-part mini-series.)

We watched Kara Thrace doing her jogging sequence in the corridors of Galactica. No portholes, no starfields, just an intricate set of corridors which she jogged up and down through as other Galactica personnel walked past. I commented later to someone very familiar with the mini-series production that Katie Sackoff looked like she couldn't jog! The way she ran was very stilted and awkward; it seemed phony, imho. I later learned from him that the sets were uneven and she had to run up and down steps/ramps -- that made her jogging look awkward. (Explain that to the casual viewer...)

Unfortunately, that jogging sequence began my poor opinion of the actress as she started to open her mouth and speak her lines. More on that below.

Scenes which were interesting:

Edward James Olmos.
Mr. Olmos is an outstanding actor with onscreen charisma and presence. His Adama is a far different person than Lorne Greene's fatherly, elderly Adama. I enjoyed his scenes very much.

The Viper launches.
God Bless Zoic! THEY NAILED IT. Major kudos to them. I wondered what happens after the Viper is loaded into the launch area (with the flat floor surface). Watch as the Viper is moved forward into launch position on the CG rail system and shot into space. Watch the kinetics of the various pieces as they work to move the Viper forward. VERY cool. I said that the ONLY way I will watch the mini-series was if I only saw the special effects reels and nothing else.

What viewers will see in the actual show sounds promising, particularly in terms of real science physics and technology. We saw the retro rockets/thrusters firing on the Vipers for course corrections/maneuvers. It looked great to see.

And, yes, the Galactica is heavily armed, but not with laser cannons. If you grok the abilities of railguns and the potential damage they can inflict, you'll be on Cloud Nine when the Galactica defends herself against incoming Cylons. I'm not at liberty to discuss further specifics right now (are we, Julie? ) As a capital ship, the Galactica can do some incredible damage. We didn't see the full power of the ship in the scenes, although I understand we'll see much of Galactica's teeth when pressed into battle. Again, real world physics and ideas are applied.

I loved the homage to the original series, too, as the Viper launch from their "pod" into space. ("Pod" is their term for the Galactica's "landing bay.") While we're used to seeing the three Vipers (1978-79 era) shooting out of the Beta landing bay sides from above, we're treated to the same type of scene as the Vipers fly out of the new Galactica. Same shot from high above, opposite landing bay, er... pod. Kudos to Zoic if that was intentional.

Vipers and Cylon fighters.
Looked nice. There are other designs I would have preferred, personally.

The music.
Appropriate for this series much of the time, just as Stu Phillips's score is for the original series. (Give me Stu Phillips music any day, though -- I prefer Stu's majestic, sweeping themes, the whimsical passages, and the punctuated dramatic scoring.)

Some things which I had issues with:

The Galactica.
The ship pales in comparison to the original vessel. The original Galactica is an alligator; the new Galactica is a mutated crocodile with a larger belly and different engine layout. We didn't see the landing bays, er... pods extend to launch the Vipers, but we did see the landing entrances to the pods. Unlike the rectangles of the original ship, the landing opening is triangular.

The new Galactica lacks the surface detailing that the original did. (And, imho, that's part of the charm of that ship design.) I hope the folks who worked on her will step up to the plate (only if possible) and describe the process that the new Galactica ship took during it's creation.

It's not a bad looking ship. The problem is: It's instantly comparable to the 1978-79 version -- and the classic still has "it." This ship doesn't. It's passable, but not a great design. What a squandered opportunity to create something incredible... (More development time, more budget, less interference with the design, I'm guessing, might have changed this. I don't know.)

The bridge.
Dear God, what a squandered opportunity to construct a solid, robust bridge set. Yes, it's functional. Yes, it probably borrow from CIC (Command-In-Control) layouts from naval vessels. The camera angles (shown during the Cylon fighter attack) were BAD. They were chaotic, flat and uninventive. In fact, the casting folks (and/or directors) should have been slapped silly for the poor deliveries by background actors. One woman is pushing buttons and moving levers in one part -- and you ask yourself, "Doesn't she know what she's supposed to be doing?!" (I'm not kidding.) It actually shows.

I'm not comparing this bridge to the original bridge on any level. There is no comparison. It's tucked in the bowels of the Galactica for protection; we get treated to loud alarms, flashing lights; lots of people blocking the camera view; and incoming Cylons appear on the radar scopes (akin to some space sonar) while William Adama tries to stay focused amidst the chaos.

Cinematography.
Horrible, just horrible. Most scenes were poorly laid out, imho, especially the Starbuck/Tigh scene, the bridge sequences when the Cylons were approaching, and the William Adama/old Viper scene. The shaky camera idea (where used) is awful, too.

[Mr. Moore, tell David Eick that the selection in cinematographers was one of the WORST decisions made. Michael Rymer's poor direction was one thing (esp. when thinking about the actors and their deliveries), but much of the camerawork stunk.]

The Starbuck/Tigh card playing/insulting/fight sequence.
I cannot dignify this trash with a single positive word. Was it done on the first take? It felt like it. The acting was ridiculously bad; the deliveries were low key and sub-standard; the facial gestures were bad; the addition of Paul Tigh's "Take her to the Brig!" line didn't redeem anything. The entire scene was BAD.

Next to the glowing red spine felgercarb (among other scenes), this Starbuck/Tigh scene destroys the credibility of the show. It's unfathomable that such an incident would occur; it's tragic to think this is a way to establish tension between characters.

By the way, watching Paul Tigh pour liquid from a silver flask SCREAMED "he's an alcoholic!" Stupid, stupid, STUPID!!

And after watching this unlikeable character onscreen, you have no sympathy when you realize his estranged wife may have slept with half the colonies.

Mary McDonnell.
Where (WHERE) was the Oscar worthy acting during her scene aboard the shuttle? Maybe it was this specific clip only, but I was very disappointed.

The Starbuck launch sequence.
Alright, there's a new scene which shows Kara Thrace trying to lift off, except there's a malfunction and the launch crews scramble to set things right. Kara is yelling; the camera is trying to follow the action akin to being in a race car pitstop; and you're supposed to feel "part of the action." Kara is annoying. VERY annoying. (To Ms. Sackoff, I know you were interpreting the character. However, I didn't like your interpretation 99% of the time. Only the scenes during the exterior shots where you were dogfighting Cylons seemed passable to me. Kara Thrace: Eternally angry, devilish and consumately a bitch goddess... that didn't work for me or others.)

Tom, I know you liked it in your review above. I didn't. At least they cut the "Apollo chased by the Cylon down the training asteroid" f/x sequence. It might have looked cool onscreen, but all I can think is "Star Tours"! It didn't work in the script. (And SURPRISE! It was cut, due to budget, so I believe.)

And finally....

$50,000 for a Viper helmet?!
What the Hell were these people thinking when they commissioned that? It's lit, it's air-conditioned... but c'mon! What a waste of $$!

---

That's a quick synopsis of various items. I could comment on more, but I hope others do.

Michael
:colwar:
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #4
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default Btw...

By the way, for clarification:

I stayed for the entire video. I listened to some of the Q&A which followed the video. I got up and left with a couple of others when I recognized the canned responses which Mr. Moore started to reply with. (Not that he had a great deal of choice how to respond, but we weren't interested in staying to listen to more of it.)

Michael
:colwar:
Old October 30th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Tom, I know you liked it in your review above. I didn't.
I see your point. I liked them running around the ship. But yeah, katey was really annoying. I picked up on that too.

I forgot to mention the most annoying thing about the poker scene, when COLONEL Tigh tries to annoy Starbuck by emulating a chicken, "STaaar-BUKBUKBUKBUK!". That felt really weird to hear in a military setting between two officers of different rank.

It sounded more like children being bratty rather than an adult conversation. It ws very surprising to hear.

Old October 30th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #6
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

So if I read your reviews with sci fi channel glasses, I guess you 3 loved it. LMAO

We will have to make sure we tell Bonnie that in her next on line chat with the BSG fans.

How many has she had now ? I think her next one will be chat number 8 and I'm bringing burnt popcorn. he he he he he

As bugs bunny would say, aint I a stinker. lol
OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:31 AM   #7
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Coming from the direction that's related to the effects personally i think it was a mistake to even show the trailer. For one it was badly put together. If Moore wanted to gain fans he lost them in the first 30 seconds.

The new Galactica pales in comparison, having worked on it it's nothing compared to the original. For what there was to work on though it actually is a pretty good ship, just not the Galactica.

One of the highlights was the missle attack on the Galactica itself. The reason i say this is because Sept17th shouted out *yay* when the missle hit the Galactica. And i don't think he was enjoying the effects.

One of the things that stuck out was not Moore's presentation but what was said in the elevator. There were about 16 of us if i remember and one of those people was Jack Stauffer himself. I remember him being not very happy about what he just experienced in Moore's trailer. The thing that hit home the most is his statements that it lacked heart. The rest of us concur with you Jack.
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:05 AM   #8
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Default I totally agree

I stayed for the whole thing - even endured the arduous q&a afterward and thought 'why did I sit in the front row, now I'm stuck' - though I coulda walked out anyway, I didn't want to lose my seat for Glen's session! So I stayed =).

I did enjoy the FX - though they weren't finished - except for one thing. They were too chaotic. The dogfight scenes were all over the place and I was getting dizzy.

I did rather like the effect of the launch.

HATED the Tigh/Kara confrontation (sorry, I refuse to call her Starbuck, Stardoe or anything of the kind.). HATED it. With a passion. Immensely and with whole heart.

I actually didn't like the whole Adama's Viper thing either. I didn't mind the sentiment so much as the little things. For one the whole fraking salute thing. Since when did people in BG salute each other? They don't even salute in Star Trek, for pity's sake, why would people who live on the other side of the Universe salute the same way that we do????? Does Ron really think people are that stupid? Or is he that unimaginative.

Katey? You didn't come close to nailing Starbuck even though you stated you did. Starbuck was never a jerk. Starbuck was never a complete waste of space (he was never a waste of space at all). So don't tell me you 'know' Starbuck because you don't. Go back to your hole, little girl.

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:10 AM   #9
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default All that glitters...

Thanks for all the reviews guys.. But it really doesn't matter. I won't be watching this travesty. And all that you all have said just still confirms that this piece of junk is exactly that... a piece of junk...

We now have the REAL Galactica: the DVD box set!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM   #10
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I've only seen a fan representation of the mini Galactica, but to me it looked like a Duck-billed Platypus on water-skis.

Peter
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:03 PM   #11
JediMasterGynac
Bad Email Address

Big Grin Whew...

I was affraid I'd catch some of the shrapnel from this one. Thanks for making it easy on me, all! Could you tell I wanted to bust up when Sept17th brought out the popcorn? In case some of you weren't aware, that was me up there dodging bullets next to the "guest of the hour" (can't really call him the guest of honor since people like Richard, Glen, Dirk, Tom, Laurette, Terry, and a host of others were there!). I did my best as the moderator and hope none of you will think less of me for it. Really, I just wanted to start things off on the right note.

My review is as follows:

After talking with Ron before the pannel, I've had a change of heart about the man, but not the show! Ron seemed genuine to me when I was questioning him upstairs before we started and I really think his back is against the wall on this one. He did seem a bit arrogant when he was on stage but, it's hard not to be when you're under the spotlight.

My opinion of the show has not changed! I am still irritated by the slants we have recieved, the dialogue -- was there any in the preview we got? I'm affraid I missed it when I yawned -- was dull and lifeless, and as stated before what Jack said was so true. To me, this lacked spirit, it had no heart, and basically felt totally hollow.

I was pleased that we got to see as much as we did. Open-mindedness isn't enough sometimes because to me the proof was in the pudding. I got almost exactly what I expected: great special effects (even if they were rough cut) with no story and no dialogue worth hearing. The only acting worth a second look was from the computer readouts in the ships. Was everyone on set asleep when they were shooting this one? I could have directed more life out of an ice-cube!

Well, those are a few of my initial thoughts. Hope everyone had a great time! See you out there amongst the stars!
JediMasterGynac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:11 PM   #12
originalsinner

Seems to me, from watching him on stage. that he couldnt wait to leave, Moore is just a puppet in Hammers game.
The Moore Mini: Not worth the price of Bum Whipe
The 2nd Coming was the Trailor of the weekend! FOR Richard Hatch