Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old June 25th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #31
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

They do but they aren't as virsitle as they are here in the States. From what I can gather, it is all privately funded. The Government is discussing what should be done because it seems that the whole country lets their cats roam unspaded or unneutered and it is quite a problem. When I told that guy that he should take responsibility for himself and that it all starts with one person, he said that why should he spend the money if no one else will bother. I knew at that point that he was not going to listen to good advice and my one question is how does this guy have the intelligence to even work a computer......
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #32
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by emerita
To show you how sick I am, I spent yesterday on another board screaming at a guy from Finland because he kills his cat's newborn kittens vs. getting his cat spade, because it is cheaper to kill the babies. I was outraged and offended and let him know as much and I left the forum for good, because the other posters were giving him sympathy....but then I come here and I looked at the bloody avatar and even though I thought it extreme, it did not bother me as much as killing helpless animals...... Where oh where has my humanity gone...have I given up on it?
That is a horror story. Truly saddening. Many places will spade an animal for a reasonable price. Where I live I often see stray cats. Some must have been pets but where disguarded when they came home pregnant. So the owners toss them aside and it doesn't solve anything.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #33
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I agree with you jjrakman...as much as I love the human race, we bring our disasters upon ourselves and animals don't have a choice. But this is an old arguement with me....So who do you save from drowning....the man or the dog. I have made many enemies by saying the dog and I say that for the simple reason that a man can follow instructions to help himself and an animal panics......I guess I should add this to my unspoken topics along with religion and politics....
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:00 AM   #34
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Yes, Paul. There are a few states here that go out and collect people's stray cats and sterilize them, give them their shots and then release the healthy ones back out. This saves space for the sick and injured and keeps them from overpopulating. It appears to be working. If there are collars and tags on them, they contact the owners. Unfortunately there are no leash laws for cats and they are allowed to roam, but I hear that is trying to be changed also.
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #35
jjrakman

Emerita-

For me, the dog. Definitely the dog.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:33 PM   #36
Senmut
Strike Leader

I agree, y'all. The dog. After all, I've never had a dog lie about me, stab me in a back, ruin me at work, or steal from me (except for the brownies I left out, once!). As to religion and politics, Emerita? keep 'em coming. After all, R&P are part of what BSG so fun!
And, yes. Anyone who kills babies, of any species, is a sicko!

"Just shout my name. It will stop any opera diva in her tracks."- Wo Fat
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:57 PM   #37
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Em, I can't tell you how infuriated I am about that jackass from Finland. If I met that idiot on the street,.........

What is the trouble in having a pet spayed or neutered? It's not like to have to re-finance your house to afford the price. We have 2 cats, a male and a female. Both are on a regular schedule with the vet and each has been cared for with regards to reproducing. We're glad that we did it but, looking back, it would have been nice to have at least 1 litter from these two. They're both a couple of lovable little furballs!! Both are American shorthair - the female is snow-white and the male has grey and white patches. They're not pets anymore, though, they're part of the family.

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:40 PM   #38
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

What I got from the conversation, it is common practice for pet owners to do this over there and their only reasoning is that everybody does it. I left that forum and I won't go back. I couldn't make him understand that the solution starts with one person. He thought I was saying that he should be responsible for everybody's pet. I know there is a communication barrier when it comes to other countries, but to see it in writing, I can't see how he could misinterperet it. Oh Well, I can't afford to go there and lobby for the spaying and neutering so I said my peace. I hope some of them will understand.....I think my last sentance before I closed my account was asking what did they do with their unwanted children, seeing that they had such little respect for their animals...
Old July 3rd, 2003, 05:29 PM   #39
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

That's the way I feel. I keep my pets in the house also. I keep my house clean and bathe my pets once a week. They are company for me and they never complain....... I know that my big dog would kill an attacker if they came into my house to hurt me. She is my protector, but is very friendly, until a hand is raised against me.

I do know that back in the 1500s in China they use to kill girl babies if they were born first. Having a son first was the most important thing. I imagine other countries did that too. No wonder alien species won't make an offical first contact. This planet is still to barbaric...well, that is my opinion anyway......
Old July 3rd, 2003, 11:35 PM   #40
Bug-Eyed Earl
Shuttle Pilot

Ever seen "Equilibrium," Jjrakman?
Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 06:42 AM   #41
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
See there is an old system of politness that says if you have a problem with a particular thing, but do not wish to insult the person with whom you have the problem. Instead of attacking them directly, you use a vague stance, allowing them to decide if they are or are not the offending party.
There's also an old system of talking to the person offline rather than announcing it to the world. Maybe that way, this would all have been settled without involving everybody else.

FWIW, I personally don't care for the slanderous avatar's either, especially those that promote violence against any specific individual, but I'm not in favor of establishing the avatar police either.

I love JJ's avatar though.

Two-Brain
Old July 17th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #42
Senmut
Strike Leader

Yes, no avatar police! Life is too regulated as it is!
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #43
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

See, I just see it like sticking a person's picture on a dart board. You wouldn't actually throw darts at the person but you can take out your anger on their photograph.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #44
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

well.....maybe in my ex's case but no, not to a perfect stranger....and I like jjackmans new avatar....
Old July 17th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #45
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Picture on a dart board .... good analogy. Although if I walked in someone's house and saw they had a picture of Ron Moore or Bonnie Hammer on a dart board I wouldn't think any less of Ron or Bonnie but I'd sure think less of the person who owned the dart board. To me, something like that just makes you petty and small.

Two-Brain
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #46
jjrakman

Quote:
and I like jjackmans new avatar....
Yes Emerita, but if you read the sign he's holding, you'll see he's gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Last edited by emerita; July 17th, 2003 at 02:24 PM..
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #47
jjrakman

Quote:
but I'd sure think less of the person who owned the dart board. To me, something like that just makes you petty and small.
I don't know. To me it's just satire. A picture on a dartboard isn't any more provoking to me than a target hairs on Saddam T-shirt. Someone else likened it to a bugs bunny or 3 stoges kind of humor and I think that's a pretty good analogy. I think people are looking way too much into it. It's just parody: no one is suppose to take it seriously. But that's just my opinion.
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #48
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman
Yes Emerita, but if you read the sign he's holding, you'll see he's gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I thought it was in reference to Starbuck being a girl....opppps.
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #49
jjrakman

Well I suppose it could be. Tell you what, you just let it be whatever you want
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #50
Senmut
Strike Leader

How about the bullet they fired, to murder the essence of the character?
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #51
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

JJ -

Your avatars in the weeks that I have been on CF are indeed unique and expressive. As sort of an artist, I beleive that everyone should be able to express themselves freely.

I must say that your current one is wonderful - you have managed to cover all of the bases without offending any groups that I can think of....

Keep up the creative work!
Bryan
________
Lovely Wendie99
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #52
jjrakman

Thanks Bryan, here's a new one for ya.
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #53
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I like Ron Moore as Lucifer.
Jonathan Harris is probably already haunting him. Especially if he's watching the old episodes--finally

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote