Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #1
sdoziernc1
Bad Email Address

Default Changes on Milton's BG website

I was just over on Milton's "Galactica website. It's amazing that he has access to all this production news that no one has heard anything about. The "Galactica" logo on the home page has changed - it has a "Z" figure drawn behind it in the background, and the foreground title now reads "Battlestar Galactica 2003". It should be retitled "Galactica 1980 Redux". Also, has anyone noticed that the picture of the Galactica on that same home page looks like a cross between Voyager and a Dirt Devil dust buster? It no longer looks like a crocodile with an attitude (I heard that description somewhere and I thought it was pretty good); the whole tail-end of the ship has been cut off.
Old April 20th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #2
sdoziernc1
Bad Email Address

Default Also,

It strikes me funny that this very same website hasn't been officially sanctioned by Universal Pictures as a representative site of the new production - it is just more-or-less a (Ron Moore) fan website. There's not even a mention on the SciFi website about this being another website to go to to get additional information about the "upcoming" production. Wouldn't it make sense that either Universal or SciFi would create a website dedicated to the production to create interest, especially considering the enduring popularity of this property? But then again, nothing about this whole thing makes sense...
Old April 20th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #3
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

I still haven't seen anythign official about Universal endorsing this new project!
Old April 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #4
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Changes on Milton's BG website

Quote:
Originally posted by sdoziernc1
I was just over on Milton's "Galactica website. It's amazing that he has access to all this production news that no one has heard anything about. The "Galactica" logo on the home page has changed - it has a "Z" figure drawn behind it in the background, and the foreground title now reads "Battlestar Galactica 2003".
I could tell you what that silver stain is but I'd get banned!

I've got a diploma in graphic design, and I don't know what the frell that stain's supposed to be really. My nephew could come up with something better than that and he's four!

Peter (BSG fan semi-retired)
Old April 20th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Oh, what a wretched logo. Iggy. (15 years as a professional designer just grossed out).
nuff said.
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
Old April 20th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #6
newt
Warrior

Default Flashdance

Reminds me of Flashdance. Guess the preference is towards 80's type big hair. "What a feeling" might have produced that Z, uh...er, what Peter said
Old April 20th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #7
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Nothing to add here except...

Peter, love the Eagle Avatar. One of my favorite scifi ships... right next to the Viper.

If this reimagining goes forward and kills all that is Galactica, the rumored 1999 continuation project will at least be something to look forward to. Hopefully it won't be turned into a 1999 reimagining with an alcoholic Alan Carter, drug pushing Tony Verdeshi, war mongering Commander Koenig and station slut team of Helena and Sondra. Hell, if SciFi gets hold of it I'm sure they would redesign the head of the Eagle into something, well, more penetrating.

Sorry, that paragraph took a bad turn.

Dave
Old April 20th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Just saw the 'new logo'...OMG, I agree with Jewels' description --
WRETCHED!!

These folks are REALLY going out of their way to be insulting.

It's hard to believe that they breathe the same air that we do. Maybe it's the water...

You know, if I had a birdcage (and a bird), I'd print up a copy of that logo and line the bottom of the birdcage with it!

KTFF,

BST
Old April 20th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #9
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BST
Just saw the 'new logo'...OMG, I agree with Jewels' description --
WRETCHED!!

These folks are REALLY going out of their way to be insulting.

It's hard to believe that they breathe the same air that we do. Maybe it's the water...

You know, if I had a birdcage (and a bird), I'd print up a copy of that logo and line the bottom of the birdcage with it!

KTFF,

BST
I made that logo...
Jerk...

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old April 20th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #10
Dennis
Bad Email Address

Hito, I like it a lot. The only thing I'd really like to see different, for purposes of the BBS, is to have it done in gold rather than silver chrome -- keeping the splash behind the lettering silver.

Thanks.
Old April 20th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #11
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Default Hmmm.....

Sorry, Hito, but I'm not crazy about it, either.

Too busy - like an overdone '80s car logo.

It's got some good points, though - I like the silver metal look. Maybe if that splash behind were simplified and darkened, and the 2003 were a little less prominent it might work better.

Just my opinion.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old April 20th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #12
sdoziernc1
Bad Email Address

Default Peter...

I really like your avatar..."Space: 1999" was one of my favorite shows growing up, too. You know where I can download some more from that series?

Hopefully, if the "Space: 1999" continuation is produced, it won't get anywhere near the SciFi Channel...maybe it would be produced in England, so therefore SciFi may be able to show it, but not have anything to say about its' production content. But since SciFi despises outer-space SciFi (ie., "Farscape" and you might as well say "Galactica" ), maybe they won't show any interest in the new production and it'll be sold into local station syndication (like "Andromeda" & "Starhunter") or maybe to another cable network - Spike TV, anyone?
Old April 20th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #13
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
Sorry, Hito, but I'm not crazy about it, either.

Too busy - like an overdone '80s car logo.

It's got some good points, though - I like the silver metal look. Maybe if that splash behind were simplified and darkened, and the 2003 were a little less prominent it might work better.

Just my opinion.

I am
Dawg
Thats fine Dawg.
It's just people dogging out my work based on a belief that it comes from a produciutohn they dont like instead of it's merrit.

Especaly when they prolly couldnt do any better.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old April 20th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #14
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Hito,

I don't like the silver splash either but the rest looks pretty good. I especially liked the touch of red on the 2003 text. It looks phat.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 20th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #15
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Right, I like all of it except the squiggle (the chrome on chrome is distracting, especially for slightly astigmatic folks like me.) If it had a red flare effect behind it instead I bet it would be rad.
Old April 20th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #16
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Hito, I'm sure nobody wanted to hurt your feelings. If we had known it was yours there probably would have been a much softer critique of it.

That being said, I'm sure some people didn't criticize it because it is allied with the Nouveau Galactica project. Jewels for an example is a professional, so she has very high standards when it comes to art. The opinions of the people who oppose the new show are still just as valid.

As for my critique I would say there are signs of craftsmanship in the production of the logo, but I would also say I'm not agreeable to how the seperate pieces relate to each other. Visually a bit jarring compositionally.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
Old April 21st, 2003, 12:26 AM   #17
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Can a Graphics Artist give a critique?

OK Hito, the biggest critique I could give is to add some differentiation between the molten chrome thing in the back and the front icon.

Also, some coloring enhancement to the icon (more gold, maybe?), and just a wee bit more of the "stressed texturing". You might also want to bump the magenta in the letters just a hair, not much, just a tiny bit, so it reads a bit better OR make it a more matching red to the tone of the glow you added to the 2003. Also, add just a bit of a drop shadow between the icon and the chrome thing.

Asside from that, although I detest the Project you built that for, and I have absolutely no regard for 99% of the Folks you built it for, it's OK.

Gee, Hito, you've been a Moderator here for How Long? How many Graphics have you built for this place?
Old April 21st, 2003, 03:55 AM   #18
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Peter...

Quote:
Originally posted by sdoziernc1
I really like your avatar..."Space: 1999" was one of my favorite shows growing up, too. You know where I can download some more from that series?
I got it off www.space1999eagle.com. That CGI eagle is fantastic.

If you want to search for something from Space 1999, the simplest thing to do is an image search on google.

Regards,

Peter
Old April 21st, 2003, 04:02 AM   #19
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

The silver squiggle IMO ruins the logo.

It looks like some sort of Cylon fluid! :upchuck:

The red glow around the 2003 is a nice touch, red reminding you of the Cylon eye.

Peter
Old April 21st, 2003, 06:10 AM   #20
newt
Warrior

Default Sorry but it's too 80's

Hito, IMO the silver Z is just too 80's; you're combining a 70's logo with an 80's flair. I'm not a graphic designer or really visually artistically inclined at all, but that was my reaction when I saw it.
Old April 21st, 2003, 06:42 AM   #21

I personally think Hito did a tremendous job. Thank you Hito for the wondferful new logo.

Old April 21st, 2003, 06:46 AM   #22
adjudicator
On Vacation...

Default way to busy

Sorry it is way to busy for me... I think it has potential though.

"BSG, is like your american salad bar, I take what I like and scrap the rest." The Ron Moore version
Old April 21st, 2003, 07:06 AM   #23
Dennis
Bad Email Address

I couldn't be more pleased to have Hito creating graphics for and contributing to managing http://galactica2003.subspacebbs.com . His stuff is first-rate.
Old April 21st, 2003, 07:08 AM   #24
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Can a Graphics Artist give a critique?

Quote:
Originally posted by LordStarFyre
OK Hito, the biggest critique I could give is to add some differentiation between the molten chrome thing in the back and the front icon.

Also, some coloring enhancement to the icon (more gold, maybe?), and just a wee bit more of the "stressed texturing". You might also want to bump the magenta in the letters just a hair, not much, just a tiny bit, so it reads a bit better OR make it a more matching red to the tone of the glow you added to the 2003. Also, add just a bit of a drop shadow between the icon and the chrome thing.
Much better said and more constructive than my initial reaction. Sorry Hito. And my main problem is there is just too much happening with too similar textures for different items. The test of a truly good design is if you can take something off and it still holds together: you really didn't need the thing you took off. (but if it falls apart without it: you did have something perfect). I think the sqiggle can go. And some sort of red glow like Micheleh suggested, could work if you still want something for more depth. The detail in the chrome squiggle competes with the chrome detail on the letters right now though.

The metallic chromes are really well done, craftsmanship is fine. Like Thomas said it's a composition thing.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
Old April 21st, 2003, 07:49 AM   #25
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

No offense to those who loved it, to those who hated it, or to the guy who created it, but Gee Whiz, it's the words "Battlestar Galactica" combined with the date "2003." How can anyone work up any kind of reaction at all? I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I've had more emotional responses to traffic signs.
Old April 21st, 2003, 01:07 PM   #26
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Re: Can a Graphics Artist give a critique?

Quote:
Originally posted by LordStarFyre
Asside from that, although I detest the Project you built that for, and I have absolutely no regard for 99% of the Folks you built it for, it's OK.

Gee, Hito, you've been a Moderator here for How Long? How many Graphics have you built for this place?
Uh... we're being a little unfair here. We don't need to go here.

But for the record, the graphics have been set for a long time. There has been no need for more graphics, Just a ton of work reducing the bandwidth and fixing the html.

Old April 21st, 2003, 03:54 PM   #27
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default I'm NOT saying he wouldn't

Old April 21st, 2003, 05:51 PM   #28
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I made that logo...
Hito,

I owe you an apology.

I don't blame you for being angry, and no, I couldn't do any better since I have never studied the art of computer graphics and I do mean ART, because it is an art. I was looking at the entire picture when I made my rather bold critique. The logo, itself, is good..maybe a shadow effect with the lettering to contrast better with the silver metal background but, otherwise, it's good (and I'm not patronizing, I truly mean it).

What really set me off was the ship and the incredibly DARK background. I'm sorry to whomever designed the ship, but there's no damned good reason to change the Galactica. That, for me, was the final straw. It was bad enough to re-write all that occurred in TOS, but to re-design the ship? That is what I consider spiteful!! Just like nearly everyone on this forum, I have had this new production shoved down my throat and I've just had it!!!

Again, I'm sorry.

BST
Old April 21st, 2003, 05:57 PM   #29
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think we are all justified in our frustration at the new production. The people in charge have continually insulted the fans of the original show. And at the same time the want to make a profit off its name.

Closed Thread