Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old September 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Default Are there any great sci-fi films of the last decade?

My wonderful other half and I were 'discussing' the subject and we couldn't think of any truly great sci-fi films from the last decade.
In fact the closest I could come up with was 'Serenity' which I'd give an 8 out of 10.
There are a few 7's... But nothing really AMAZING!
How can that be?
What are we forgetting?
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Are there any great sci-fi films of the last decade?

Basically your right, nothing really significant.
Part of it is that there are really only just so many stories to tell, after that everything is really just a re-hash of something else.
Also the bar has been raised fairly high now.

I did like Star Wars episode3 Revenge of the Sith. But I think Ep1 and 2 Stunk up the Star Wars franchise so much that it really didnt get a fair chance to be stand out.

Really probably the greatest thing made in the 2000-2010 decade was probably the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But thats Fantasy not Sci-fi. If you've never watched the special features extra's that were on the special edition LOTR you should. They put an unbelievable amount of work into these. Without a doubt more than anything thats ever come before.

I'd say that the 2000's were a fairly lame decade for Sci-Fi movies.
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #3
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
Basically your right, nothing really significant.
Part of it is that there are really only just so many stories to tell, after that everything is really just a re-hash of something else.
Also the bar has been raised fairly high now.

I did like Star Wars episode3 Revenge of the Sith. But I think Ep1 and 2 Stunk up the Star Wars franchise so much that it really didnt get a fair chance to be stand out.

Really probably the greatest thing made in the 2000-2010 decade was probably the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But thats Fantasy not Sci-fi. If you've never watched the special features extra's that were on the special edition LOTR you should. They put an unbelievable amount of work into these. Without a doubt more than anything thats ever come before.

I'd say that the 2000's were a fairly lame decade for Sci-Fi movies.
It's pretty miserable isn't it?
With the advances in SFX and the movement to cheaper, better CGI you'd have expected to see a lot of calssic previously unfilmed sci-fi novels turned into movies.
But it's been the opposite.
Endless rehashings of old movies none of which are an improvement and new material thats either carp or derivative.

The LOTR trilogy was a great achievement, pretty bloody sad that it didn't encourage more 'epic' productions of the same scale.
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

Very few films I would bother watching again.

Stories fail even when based on a well known sources
To many remakes sucking the life out of time.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

The real problem with most remakes is that the producers of these things usually seem to want to "re-imagine" them.
I feel you can do remakes of some movies, but should be very careful to not change the storyline or try to insult the original.
The planet of the apes is a good example. The remake from a few years ago starring Markie Mark had great ape costumes/cgi but deviated really far from the original story as a result I hated it! grade D- or maybe F+
OTOH;
The "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" really stayed fairly true to the original storyline and actually offered a better "smart Ape" origin than the idea of Zera and Cornelius repairing a crashed (and hopelessly destroyed) spaceship and traveling back in time to give birth to the first smart ape. In most ways its a remake of "Conquest of the planet of the apes". They made a point of hinting at the loss of the "Icarus" spacecraft during this movie and it fits well with the original. A+ in my book, this is how do to a remake.

Another example is "The Island". Most people didnt see "Body Parts: the Clonus Horror" but is was basically the same thing but made in the 70's on a fairly low budget. The island was a great remake, updated nicely and expanded on a lot. It didnt crap on the original storyline. Where they failed miserably was in not acknowledging the original film at all, and in fact it was considered an "un-authorized" remake and I think there may have been a lawsuit involved. Remake A+, prop's to original F.

Another remake I really liked was the 1990ish remake of "Night of the Living Dead" It stayed VERY true to the original and was basically an update consisting of color film and better makeup/special effects. A+ The other remakes of Romero's "Dead" movies all fell short.

The Conan remake is pure crap, enough said.
The Sci-fi channels remake attempt of Flash Gordon really sucked hard!
"The Andromeda Strain" remake didnt thrill me
oh I could go on and on endlessly....

I would like to see a GOOD remake of both "Logans Run" as well as "The Forbidden PLanet"
Either one could be really good if done right, or really bad if not.

But seriously They should be looking at the vast assortment of really good Sci-fi novels for ideas. A series of "Hammers Slammers" movies would be fun. or you could go super epic and do "The Forbidden Borders" By Michael Gear.
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Quote:
With the advances in SFX and the movement to cheaper, better CGI you'd have expected to see a lot of calssic previously unfilmed sci-fi novels turned into movies.
That just reminded me. The did do "Princess of Mars" a little while back. Low quality production and bad acting by none other than former teen Pr0n actress "Tracy Lords". C- but it was nice to see such an old classic get noticed

That movie may have sparked something in somebody because I see that Disney is now doing "John Carter" scheduled for release in 2012.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #7
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

One problem, good sci-fi takes good imagination, something very lacking in Hollywood.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #8
gmd3d
Major

^ yeah . I agree.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:33 AM   #9
Andromeda

The only one i can think of that was worth sitting all the way thru was "the chronicles of Riddick" it's more fantasy than any thing else ( a little bit of sci fi thrown in)

The best thing I've seen, It's not a movie, (but it's the only sci fi i can think of in the last decade that's worthy of mention.) Is the DVD of Live on stage "Jeff Wayne's war of the worlds". That puts Spielberg's attempt to shame.
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
That just reminded me. The did do "Princess of Mars" a little while back. Low quality production and bad acting by none other than former teen Pr0n actress "Tracy Lords". C- but it was nice to see such an old classic get noticed
That was a fun enough movie. Came across as one of the more mediocre Hercules episodes or something. I consider that the warm up/testing the water to...

Quote:
That movie may have sparked something in somebody because I see that Disney is now doing "John Carter" scheduled for release in 2012.
I agree. I think the prior might have done something, and I am DEFINITELY looking forward to the John Carter movie!

As for other Sci-Fi right now, I really enjoyed the Star Wars: Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. Human Target last year was a lot of fun (more fiction than science fiction though).

Let's see (scratches head, puts in 2010 and science fiction in a google search and gets this page...)

http://www.listal.com/list/science-fiction-2010

Hot Tub Time Machine.... now that was a lot of fun.
Current Doctor Who with Matt Smith... Excellent!
Tron: Legacy ... had fun watching that.

Hmmmm...

http://jason-glover.suite101.com/sci...f-2011-a248012

Transformers : Bark at the Moon was .. alright.
Green Lantern - The preview did not do it justice. Loved the final fight scene.
Thor - Excellent.
Captain America - Excellent and then some.
Cowboys and Aliens - Fun
Harry Potter - Last Movie - Pretty darn good.

Eagerly awaiting the John Carter and Avenger movie, and then the last website had this to say:

"2011 is the Year of Science Fiction and Fantasy

For fans of the two genres, 2011 is looking like being a golden year and 2012 looks set to continue that when movies like The Hobbit and The Dark Knight Rises hit the big screen alongside Star Trek 2 and MIB 3."

THE HOBBIT!!! I would SOOOOO love to see that. (Hmm perhaps more than the John Carter movie? Whoa!)

Star Trek 2... love the new idea for Star Trek and the recasting.
MIB 3.... Oh yeh, those guys are hilarious.

Soooo... been some good movies this year and some good ones coming up.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #11
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion Draco View Post
It's pretty miserable isn't it?
But it's been the opposite.
Endless rehashings of old movies none of which are an improvement and new material thats either carp or derivative.

The LOTR trilogy was a great achievement, pretty bloody sad that it didn't encourage more 'epic' productions of the same scale.
i think the better CGI is part of the problem. Great SF & F is about story, but execs expect a blockbuster return, so the easy response is to make a wizz bang blockbuster. Its now easier to make a visual spectacle so thats what we get, all sparkly but shallow.

cheers,
Lara
Old October 15th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #12
Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
i think the better CGI is part of the problem. Great SF & F is about story, but execs expect a blockbuster return, so the easy response is to make a wizz bang blockbuster. Its now easier to make a visual spectacle so thats what we get, all sparkly but shallow.

cheers,
Lara
That hits the nail on the head.

With out the "sparkle" the majority of modern movies are dull.
last lot of movies i watched over the last 12 months or so (original versions)
forbidden planet, war of the worlds, day the earth stood still, planet of the apes, 2001, etc ignoring the now primitive looking SFX and makeup, every movie had something in common. better story, bigger more expressive acting with people that have had more theatrical experience.
(Which, is why TOS BSG kicks butt, look at the cast list for for the movie/SoSW) some really big names!..)

That is what a lot of movies nowadays are lacking, depth and guts and oompf. ( thats not CG SFX oompf either ;-) )

cheers.
Old October 15th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #13
Tenement
Shuttle Pilot

A big part of the problem is that the last decade was littered with reboots and remakes. Bond, Batman, Star Trek, Spiderman (Twice. I count the current reboot that went into production last year.), The Day the Earth stood still, King Kong and loads of others. There was nothing new, nothing that blew your mind. There was some great eye candy but no originality. Original writing and concepts have been ignored by the bean counters who hope that nostalgia will bring in the punters. The problem is that they're right. As long as we keep going to the cinema in record numbers then all we're going get is a rehash of material that we've seen many, many times before. Vote with your feet and we'll get the films that we deserve and want.
Tenement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #14
Andromeda

well put