Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old March 21st, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Wink Hilarious Humor in Super SciFi

Yes folks, I thought I'd start a thread devoted to all the classic shows we love so well, but instead of lauding them, having a bit of fun with the sometimes ridiculous props and time-dated mores.

Today's tickler - in episode 4 of Lost in Space, hundreds of light years from home, surrounded by future technology, we see Maureen carrying - a plastic laundry basket!!! Yes, billions of dollars to send a family into space, and they bring a $2 white plastic prop just like at home! Giggle, giggle! And of course in typical 60's chauvanistic fashion, the two men go off and leave - WHO - in charge? The mom? Nope. The 20 year old sister? Nope. The 12 year old girl perhaps? Uh-uh. They leave WILL in charge - the 7 year old!!! Why? Cuz he's a GUY!!! Oh, how droll! Not only that, but the men have all these scientific skills (including tiny Will), but the 3 women do what? HOUSEWORK!!! Gimme a break!!!

More fun! Everyone loves to poke fun at Saga of a Star World cuz of their use of bubble wrap for curtains (which actually was extremely rare then, so they could get away with it). But did you notice in one of the Star Trek movies, they use CARPET PADDING on the walls of the elevator? Yes, good old run of the mill green foam carpet padding. Too funny. Ooh, one more Lost in Space funny. The Robinsons are laying down their grass matting for their hydroponics and it is - furnace filters! Yep, wonders never cease.

Got any giggles of your own? My personal fav, although not SciFi, is the old black and white Gunga Din. When the chief or whatever is crying over the body of his dead son, the "dead" son wiggles his toes at the camera!!! And they didn't cut it!!!

Please add yours tpo this thread!

Cheers all!
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #2
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

How about drugged-out hippies in space on the Star Trek: TOS ep "The Way to Eden"?

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #3
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

And the salt (or was it pepper?) shaker they used as a hypospray in ST: TOS?

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old March 24th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #4
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

And the ENTIRE episode of "Spock's Brain". There were too many laughs to list individually.

And remember, I was laughing at it, not with it!

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
How about drugged-out hippies in space on the Star Trek: TOS ep "The Way to Eden"?
These are good ones UWW!
Ya know, I actually LIKED the hippie episode - and we should bear in mind that just as Nomad was the inspiration for Trek Movie I, the hippie ep was the inspiration for Trek Movie 5 (and of course everyone knows Trek Movie 2 sprang right from "Space Seed").

I liked the hippie ep cuz I knew some (hippies), and I felt TOS not only was being "hip", but portrayed them in a very understanding light. I loved it when Spock played along with their group and really enjoyed the song - although now when I see it, I realize it was kinda silly. But at the time, this ep was one of the top TOS eps on my list...

Am I silly or what?
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #6
kat

I love the hippie episode but I think I would consider them "flower children" rather than hippie. I wonder why there aren't episodes with all the different funky groups out there now. Like the goths and punks etc.
Old March 27th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #7
braxiss
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
I love the hippie episode but I think I would consider them "flower children" rather than hippie. I wonder why there aren't episodes with all the different funky groups out there now. Like the goths and punks etc.
the world is to politicly correct, you can't show different types of people or groups without some one becoming upset