Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 19th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #1
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Default Warrior Jacket on EBAY (X-Mas wish, LOL)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2211644608

Somebody buy it for me? I already know it fits.

http://members.aol.com/raymar3d/VirtualBridge.htm

LOL,

Ken
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 12:20 AM   #2
gunnerk19
Bad Email Address

Holy Frack!! the bid is up to THAT much? Woooooo, and I thought it was bad seeing a pair of collar insignia for $46.00 when you can buy the Military Intelligence branch pins for $6.00 a pair from any military surplus store...
gunnerk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 02:44 AM   #3
dru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by gunnerk19
Holy Frack!! the bid is up to THAT much? Woooooo, and I thought it was bad seeing a pair of collar insignia for $46.00 when you can buy the Military Intelligence branch pins for $6.00 a pair from any military surplus store...
Actually the bidding *isn't* up to that much. That's just the opening bid asked for! And no one has bid on it. I think they're just a little nuts personally. Maybe if it were a Cylon...

Thanks on the tip. I wondered how "available" those pins would be (I didn't know such things were available surplus) or if I'd have to be assaulted by second-hand folks selling them as cast replicas. :O Pff, why not get the real McCoy? :P
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 02:48 AM   #4
dru
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Warrior Jacket on EBAY (X-Mas wish, LOL)

Quote:
Originally posted by Raymar3d

http://members.aol.com/raymar3d/VirtualBridge.htm
Cool. I've been thinking of doing a bridge mesh myself. I'm not terribly skilled but with the blue prints and DVDs as reference it can't be *that* bad.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 03:43 PM   #5
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

I just lowered the reserve to $2000 for all us budgetally challenged folks.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #6
lordpenquin
Shuttle Pilot

Try moving the decimal point around, and you might actually have someone bid on it. A starting price of over $1000 for a peice of questionable "memoribilia" is a bit much. And no disrespect to Mr. Hatch, but I do hope that the photo was not taken at his home. If so, he is in greater financial trouble than I thought...
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #7
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default Ouch!

I agree the price is too far out there.

I remember the old flight jackets advertised perhaps in Starlog in the dark ages.Are these things still around?

Is there some old licensing deal that would keep Hatch from reviving the line? Or preventing mass copies from being sold?
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:26 PM   #8
piperkev

Does anyone know why there are now crimson jackets and green jackets in "The Second Coming" instead of the brown ones used in TOS?? Was Richard Hatch unable to secure permission to use the originals, or are the new colors just something he thought up??

Cheers,
Kevin
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:57 PM   #9
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Hi Piperkev,

The brown jackets are also in the trailer. The red jackets are for scarlett viper pilots. There is only one green jacket, and it was exclusively for Commander Apollo.

When we did the trailer, we very specifically did it with all the original uniforms, props and ships. But, since it was 20 yahrens after the exodus from the colonies, they developed a few improvements over the old vipers, and the scarlett viper is one of them. It's called a scarlett viper, because it produced reddish exhaust instead of blue. They're more efficient ships and make more use of the fuel for other things, like the wingtip cannons. Each scarlett has the original two pulsars, plus one on each wingtip, giving it five pulsar cannons. They're also faster and more manueverable. But, Starbuck still prefers his old style viper (at least in Armaggeddon, Richard's first book).

The cylons too still use their original centurians, but they've added the mechs (15 ft tall fighters with heavy armament) and the human chip cylons, which are designed to be more intuitive and independent. They were based on Baltar's brainwaves.... scary thought, eh? LOL I also created a flying drone for the cylons that had a roving eye, it was designed as local air support for ground troops. You can see the cylons on my website under the gallery, or go to the Battlestar Galactica Newslink and look for links from there if you want to see the designs I did. The human chip cylons have black armor and a blue roving eye. They were based primarily on the Ralph McQuarrie paintings, but were a blend betweent them and the original cylon centurian.

Additionally, in the trailer, we had cylon raiders that look almost exactly like the ones in the miniseries. They had the same forwardsweapt wings, and cannons mounted on the tips, but they also had the single roving eye, because they had no pilots. So, the mini and the Second Coming trailer do share a few parallels, interestingly enough. In fact, Starbuck has a daughter named Dalton, very similar to Kara Thrace (sans the cigar).

Also of interest, Lee Stringer, Gabriel Koerner, and myself all worked on both the trailer and the miniseries. Lee and Gabriel did the cylon fighter for the trailer and the mini. So, the similarity is probably no great coincidence, which may be an homage to Richard's trailer, I don't really know. I have no idea where the designs for the mini came from.

Ken
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:15 PM   #10
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Hey, all of that was cool info, I often had thought of these questions and have never voiced them though. Thanks for the answers.
BlueSquad2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:47 PM   #11
piperkev

Thumbs up Cool!

Thanks for all the great info, Ken!! I didn't know about the different jacket colors, I've only seen stills from the "Second Coming" trailer. Nice to know about all the attention to continuity, and hopefully I'l get to actually see the trailer one day!!

At least thinking of Katee Sackhoff as Dalton helps ease the pain of Kara Thrace!!

Cheers,
Kevin
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:03 PM   #12
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Glad to help!

Ken
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:24 AM   #13
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

I kinda liked the old warrior jackets:

or Cain's jacket:

Reasonable at $250-300, http://www.battlestargalactica.org/
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:43 AM   #14
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Ken
What do you make of this
http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?aid=10102

demaster2

In an attempted coup, **banned.site** reported Hatch'es attempt to steal the Battlestar Galactica franchise from Larsen:

This time the revival would be derailed in a nasty copyright fight and the disastrous Box Office numbers turned in by Todd Moyers Wing Commander made any revival look unlikely. In August of 1999, Universal Studios was coaxed by Richard Hatch to fight for their copyrights of the Battlestar Galactica property by stopping the Larson/Moyer production in Luxemburg. Hatch believed that Universal Studios might back his revival attempt if he proved that the property is valuable to the Universal Studios. The trailer and the rousing support by the fans of the property convinced Universal Studios to stop the Larson/Moyer production. The legal battle was the last straw for the investors in the Larson/Moyer production. They quickly pulled their investment from the production when it became evident that Universal Studios would retain the property. Larson/Moyer would however continue the project as a Battlestar Pegasus Movie since Larson was able to retain the rights to the Battlestar Pegasus and her crew. Without the support of the investors though, Larson/Moyer was only able to field a trailer of their Battlestar Pegasus Movie which was shown privately. The Larson/Moyer production just simply disappeared into the Hollywood abyss. However, this victory by Universal Studios left Richard Hatch still the odd man out with two new teams entering the Battlestar Galactica arena.

Say it ain't so.

Hatch shot all TOS in the foot and successfully prevented a remake that would have met with approval by TOS fans. Hatch recieve poetic justice when he was given the boot from the new BSG project entirely.

Steve

::jewels edit: manually removed that unnameable site::
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM   #15
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Steve, that would be a clone post or a newbie repeating something from the clonemaster's writings.

I beleive that article is utter felgercarb. But that website quoted was headed by a known liar, so there you have that.

And it was Larson's lawsuit for the theatrical rights in 1999-2000 that derailed Hatch's efforts or at least pushed him back to the point that Universal had both his proposal and the very hot Xmen duo of DeSanto/Singer's proposal to choose from.

Steve, no worries about Richard. He was only able to get the franchise back into the light: TPTB took it from there, and then got stupid when Fox backed out.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM   #16
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevew

Hatch'es attempt to steal the Battlestar Galactica franchise from Larsen:

Universal Studios was coaxed by Richard Hatch

this victory by Universal Studios left Richard Hatch still the odd man out

Three really ridiculous things jump out of that article. Hatch was going to steal what he was trying at that time to get Universal to do? And how is it that this huge conglomerate would listen to Hatch in this particular instance? They thought he was important enough to help them stop Larson so they used him, then dumped him? Good God, who comes up with this crap?

This is something I can't figure at all. I could at least understand where the mini supporters were coming from when they were trying to get the mini made and aired. Their tactics were horrendous but they were trying to accomplish something they wanted. Or so it seemed.

We now see the mini is a different property. The Larson movie stands as an entity on it's own. This sounds like they just want to stop the movie out of spite. What is it to them if a BG movie is made? Why hammer [!] away at us? WHY DO WE PAY ATTENTION?

I've given them too much of my time already.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM   #17
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

What does the last 3 posts have to do with Colonial Warrior Jackets??? Sounds like it needs to be pruned out of this thread and given its own discussion topic.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM   #18
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevew
Ken
What do you make of this
http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?aid=10102

demaster2

In an attempted coup, **banned.site** reported Hatch'es attempt to steal the Battlestar Galactica franchise from Larsen:

This time the revival would be derailed in a nasty copyright fight and the disastrous Box Office numbers turned in by Todd Moyers Wing Commander made any revival look unlikely. In August of 1999, Universal Studios was coaxed by Richard Hatch to fight for their copyrights of the Battlestar Galactica property by stopping the Larson/Moyer production in Luxemburg. Hatch believed that Universal Studios might back his revival attempt if he proved that the property is valuable to the Universal Studios. The trailer and the rousing support by the fans of the property convinced Universal Studios to stop the Larson/Moyer production. The legal battle was the last straw for the investors in the Larson/Moyer production. They quickly pulled their investment from the production when it became evident that Universal Studios would retain the property. Larson/Moyer would however continue the project as a Battlestar Pegasus Movie since Larson was able to retain the rights to the Battlestar Pegasus and her crew. Without the support of the investors though, Larson/Moyer was only able to field a trailer of their Battlestar Pegasus Movie which was shown privately. The Larson/Moyer production just simply disappeared into the Hollywood abyss. However, this victory by Universal Studios left Richard Hatch still the odd man out with two new teams entering the Battlestar Galactica arena.

Say it ain't so.

Hatch shot all TOS in the foot and successfully prevented a remake that would have met with approval by TOS fans. Hatch recieve poetic justice when he was given the boot from the new BSG project entirely.

Steve

::jewels edit: manually removed that unnameable site::
AIN'T SO

Ken
Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:16 PM   #19
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by Sci-Fi
I kinda liked the old warrior jackets:

or Cain's jacket:

Reasonable at $250-300, http://www.battlestargalactica.org/
They look great. Price too.

Might just have to check them out. Anyone buy a jacket from them? Were you happy with the turnaround time and the quality?

Ken
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:12 PM   #20
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Wink

I like the old ones too .....but forest green ........well........
it 'is' my color lol
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote