Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old May 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #1
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Default A question for our UK friends

I read a lot (too much according to Mrs WHD), and lately I've read a few books where the characters were in the UK and specifically mentioned going to the pub for a Ploughman's Lunch.

What on Earth is a Ploughman's Lunch?

This particular mechanic's lunch is usually a ham and cheese sandwich, potato chips, and a glass of iced tea.

Thanks for the help!
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #2
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I'm not from the UK, but here's what I found, from: http://www.outlawcook.com/Page0117.html

In the country, and I don't mean the garden counties around London, but in the West Country, in Somerset, Devon, and Hereford -- in fact all over rural England -- the pubs serve one of the finest lunches ever devised, incredibly simple, rustic and plain, yet a meal that can be memorable given the right conditions. Called a "ploughman's lunch," it consists of a cut of Cheddar, a home-baked bread roll, pickled onions and a pint of beer ..... Adrian Bailey

That is, if you're lucky in your choice of a pub. The ploughman's lunch is easily the most universal pub snack but it is often a travesty of its namesake: a slab of factory Cheddar, a piece of "French" bread, and some over-pickled onions. When ploughmen actually ate such a lunch -- then simply called "bait" -- the cheese would have been equal in size to the bread and both would have come from the farm whose fields were being ploughed. And the onion would have been both fresh and raw and eaten like an apple.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #3
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Thanks!
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2022, 07:01 PM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: A question for our UK friends

How many varieties of beer? It is always cheddar?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote