Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:27 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Star Wars Battlefront..INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

Well...I have rented Star Wars Battlefront (LUCASARTS for PS2, Xbox, PC) and I am playing the PS2 version.

I will say this: You will definitely feel like you are a part of the vast Star Wars universe. Lucasarts got this title right. Otherwise, the only other games I would recommend are Jedi Starfighter (for consoles), and The Xwing/TIE Fighter series (including X Wing Alliance) The title I would give honorable mention to is the Jedi Knight Dark Forces series.

So far, the game in singleplayer mode is okeeday fun. Not the best First Person shooter I've played (actually, much like SOCOM US NAVY SEALS..you can switch between first and third person views in foot combat).

The game get progressively tougher. Playing as an Imperial, or a Rebel is a blast. And in some of the battles (most notably the Battle of Hoth) you do get kind of the epic scale that Lucas was gunning for (no pun intended) in the original movies.

Hell, I even managed to bring down an AT-AT with some ground cannon fire. The best place to hit an AT-AT (the big mofos) is in the neck section. And from the distance in which you fire one of the cannons (yes, you can actually use cannons, and whatever vehicles are available throughout the sixteen levels), you definitely have to lead your target.

You can play in one of two eras: The Repblic era, or the Galactica Civil War era (which I am currently playing.)

There are four factions: In the Rep. Era you have Clone Troopers, and Federation Battle Droids.

In the Civil War, obviously you have Rebels and Imperials.

The weapons in the game do have unique characteristics and purposes.
Blaster Rifles --basically sub machine guns as far as their rapid fire goes.
Scatter Guns -- Laser shotguns
Sniper Rifles -- MY favorite. Pick enemies off from a distance...and I mean a CONSIDERABLE distance.

There are more blaster type weapons, including rocket launchers. These weapons are unique to the character archetypes you pick. Each archetype carries four weapons. A primary and a sidearm, and two secondary grenade type weapons. Secondaries are usually thermal detonators and concussion boms. Your sidearm is almost always a blaster pistol.

Example: If you pick a scout class character on either side (either faction) your primary weapon, is the Sniper Rifle. If you pick a Rebel Vanguard, or heavy trooper, your P.W. is a Rocket Launcher.

The best strategy if you find yourself suddenly in a reload situation is to switch to your sidearm so you can continue to fire. When you switch back to your primary weapon, it will be fully reloaded. (Nice.)

On the graphics side...the environments are NICE. Very very NICE. The characters themselves look rather dated when compared to other FPS games. The blaster fire is F***ing BEAUTIFUL. You feel like you are actually firing a Star Wars weapon. Explosions and particle effects are also wonderous.

Audio wise..well...it's all Star Wars, and it is masterfully done in the game. It fully enhances the Star Wars experience. On the Playstation 2, the audio is presented in DOLBY Pro Logic II. (Not exactly Dolby Digital 5.1, but then again, all I have is a 5.5 inch PS2 monitor screen, so I just plug in headphones for true stereo.)

The game play is fairly smooth for the most part.

Now here is something that might bring some of you down. I am sure we all remember Doom, and Doom II. Remember when firing the Plasma Rifle (the blue energy spewing cousin of the chaingun), that if you tried to fire it too close to a corner, the wall would eat up your gunfire? Well...that happens here in this game...so do NOT fire a weapon from corner cover if you can help it...there is at least an 80% chance that you'll be wasting ammo. However, if you are firing from a rampart, you will fare much better.

Cloud City is BEAUTIFUL..and looks as if it was ripped straight from the movies (as did Hoth). And you get a true sense of scaling. I mean the AT-AT's are BIGGGGGGG!!!!! You get up close to one...stay the hell out of its way...'nuff said! Safest to admire from a distance.

I still have yet to partake of the online experience. And I do know that , like SOCOM, you can use a PS2 headset to communicate with your teammates. NICE.

I will try a technical breakdown like this:

Graphics:
Characters and animation: 8
Weapons fire and explosions: 10
Vehicular appearance and animation: 9
Environments and Environmental elements: 10
Overall: 9.25

Sound:
Music: Hey, it's Star Wars 10
Effects: Hey, it's Star Wars 10
Voice overs: 10
Overall: 10

Controlability:
Movement: 7
Targetting: 8
Button response: 10
Configurabilty: Total 10
Intuitiveness: 10
Overall: 9

Artificial Intelligence:
Enemy A.I 7
Friendly A.I. 7
Overall: 7

Environmental Interaction:
Manned Weapons: 10 (weapons respond as they should, and pack a punch)
Vehicles: 10
Sniper Points: 8 (depends on what kind of cover you are firing from)
Overall: 9.3

Is it fun?
Immersiveness: 9
Authenticity: 10
Replayability: Singleplayer 8
Multiplayer unknown (haven't tried)
Can I kill EWOKS? Yes. 10
Can I kill Gungans? Yes. 9 (Hey, I kinda like Gungans..and it's my review so )
Overall: A conditional 9.2

OVERALL GAME RATING (Based on Overall Scores in each category

It ain't perfect....but for ground combat, and reenacting a few of Star Wars most epic battles (and HOLY S*** I cannot wait to see what the Clone Wars are like), it comes damn close. I would highly recommend it to any and all Star Wars fans who feel like being heroes (or Villains..muha ha ha ha hah aha)

I would love to see what other players think. I will be buying this game, ASAP.

May The Force Live Long and Prosper With You,
Martok2112 (now..let's go kill me some EWOKS)
Old September 26th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #2
cranky1c
Warrior

So there is a single player mode? I'm never sure with these games.
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1c
So there is a single player mode? I'm never sure with these games.
Yeah...so far I only got to play Historic Battle Mode, which allows you to fight on places like Hoth and Endor. And I am here to tell you, even on medium difficulty...Endor is DIFFICULT!!!!

There is also Instant Action mode..which just lets you jump right into any battlefield..I guess.

And there is also Galactic Conquest mode, where, the better you do, the bigger bonuses and power ups you get. (Like Darth Vader if you are an Imperial Force. Vader will fight alongside you and wipe out the oppositiion with his lightsaber.)
I think you can even summon the Death Star when you really kick butt.

Jeez, can ya tell I love playing the EMPIRE?

Multiplayer online is alright. A little choppy and laggy sometimes, but overall it was cool.

I drove an AT-AT into this ice city on Hoth, and had two gunners with me...it was hilarious to say the least.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Man, that sounds cool. I think I am going to get this game. I have to drive an AT and I have to fly a snowspeeder!!!

By the way, if they were adapting the ships to the cold and then they were called "snowspeeders", what were they called before?? and what were they used for before Hoth?

They seem to be atmospheric flight ships which is why we didn't see them in any space battles, but it would have been cool to see the snowspeeders again in the trilogy...maybe we'll see some in Ep. III?

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I keep trying to rent Battlefront at the local Blockbuster - they've got like 12 copies, but they're aways out (at this point). I'm gonna keep checking each day until I get one so I can try this baby out!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis
By the way, if they were adapting the ships to the cold and then they were called "snowspeeders", what were they called before?? and what were they used for before Hoth?
They were called airspeeders, at least according to the Star Wars roleplaying game that used to be published by West End, and that info was based in canonical Lucasfilm archive info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
I keep trying to rent Battlefront at the local Blockbuster - they've got like 12 copies, but they're aways out (at this point). I'm gonna keep checking each day until I get one so I can try this baby out!
Wow, Bryan, that's a shame because ususally they have some kind of "always in"guarantee with hot titles, but perhaps they didn't feel that BATTLEFRONTS was a hot title, or they underestimated its initial hotness.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #7
Ian_W359
Warrior

It's quite rare for me to buy PS2 games so soon after they're released (I usually go for 'Platinum' titles - at a budget price). But I was sold on Star Wars : Battlefront (especially as the retailer was offering Jedi Starfighter free with purchase!)

I've been looking forward to this for a while now, and it's everything I expected - It's like a lot of the other Star Wars titles rolled into one giant conflict, with the only downer that you can't fight as a Jedi....

I'm currently going through the Clone Wars (in Historic Battle Mode), and Geonosis is a toughie! Although sometime soon I hope to go online and take on some flesh and blood opponents!

Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Wow, Bryan, that's a shame because ususally they have some kind of "always in"guarantee with hot titles, but perhaps they didn't feel that BATTLEFRONTS was a hot title, or they underestimated its initial hotness.
Steve -

I'm persistent! I went to BB at lunch and they had one copy of the PS2 version just come in - they had plenty of the XBox version in stock. I guess that PS2 is more popular in the local area.

I intend to play the heck out of it for the next week! I'll let you know what I think!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Cool... Everyone let me know what you think. I do plan to buy the game so I can go online again with it.

Ian, I didn't play the Republic Era in Historic Battle mode, but, since Geonosis was the final battle of Episode II, and Endor is the final battle in Episode VI, then I am guessing you are in for a very tough road.

By the time I had to take my rental back, I still had not beaten Endor level on Historic mode.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #10
Ian_W359
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Cool... Everyone let me know what you think. I do plan to buy the game so I can go online again with it.

Ian, I didn't play the Republic Era in Historic Battle mode, but, since Geonosis was the final battle of Episode II, and Endor is the final battle in Episode VI, then I am guessing you are in for a very tough road.

By the time I had to take my rental back, I still had not beaten Endor level on Historic mode.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
I think there is another battle in the Clone Wars Era - after Geonosis - it could be the Battle of Kamino (from the Clone Wars comic books).

Tougher still!

Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #11
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359
I think there is another battle in the Clone Wars Era - after Geonosis - it could be the Battle of Kamino (from the Clone Wars comic books).

Tougher still!

Ian W359
gulp

With great trepidation,
Matok2112