Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 3rd, 2018, 02:12 PM   #1
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Default Leslie Stevens: The Unsung Hero of Battlestar Galactica by Justin Murphy

Glen A. Larson is often credited with the creation of Battlestar Galactica, based on his earlier Adam’s Ark concept. Yet this may not be as true as one thinks. Leslie Stevens was a writer and producer had a great to do with the show’s early development. At different times, he had success as a Broadway playwright, film noir director, and co-creator of The Outer Limits with Psycho screenwriter Joseph Stefano. While credited with Larson with other efforts such as It Takes A Thief, The Name of The Game, The Men From Shiloh, McCloud, and Buck Rogers And The 25th Century. Yet has not received full credit for his efforts for Galactica.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leslie-Stev...dp/B07JFY92ZN/
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:43 AM   #2
Jayworld
Warrior

Default Re: Leslie Stevens: The Unsung Hero of Battlestar Galactica by Justin Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post

Glen A. Larson is often credited with the creation of Battlestar Galactica, based on his earlier Adam’s Ark concept. Yet this may not be as true as one thinks. Leslie Stevens was a writer and producer had a great to do with the show’s early development. At different times, he had success as a Broadway playwright, film noir director, and co-creator of The Outer Limits with Psycho screenwriter Joseph Stefano. While credited with Larson with other efforts such as It Takes A Thief, The Name of The Game, The Men From Shiloh, McCloud, and Buck Rogers And The 25th Century. Yet has not received full credit for his efforts for Galactica.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leslie-Stev...dp/B07JFY92ZN/
I've wondered about this, too, as I felt it "too-coincidental" that Larson was the creator (and is still viewed as such) of so many television series "hits" (and some not-so-hits). One has to wonder about Magnum, P.I. too
Old January 15th, 2020, 03:07 AM   #3
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Leslie Stevens: The Unsung Hero of Battlestar Galactica by Justin Murphy

I've seen his name connected to so many of the shows I like, the first time I've seen his face.

Larson is like Roddenberry for hoarding the limelight for himself

Harlan Ellison once referred to him as "Glen Larceny" because of his notorious reputation for stealing ideas from films and other series.

Harlan Ellison I cared little for, TV and earlier Movies have always been "Inspired" by earlier ideas, hell, the transporter in Star Trek was seen in Buck Rogers 1939, though not beaming up, more across a city beaming
but if you take scripts bound to annoy someone. opps speaking of

According to "The Garner Files", the autobiography of James Garner, Garner once got into a physical altercation with Larson on the Universal lot. After Larson had copied a number of scripts from The Rockford Files (1974) and used them for his own shows, Garner's company complained to the The Writer's Guild who proceeded to fine Larson for plagiarism. However, this didn't deter Larson who then ripped-off the theme tune from The Rockford Files for one of his own shows.

When Larson approached Garner and asked him if there were any hard feelings, Garner claims that he punched Larson so hard that it knocked him right across a curb, into a motor home and out the other side (The Garner Files, p.129, ISBN 978-1-4516-4260-5.).

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Of course Harlan's low opinion of people stealing other's work for themselves for some reason never extended to Ronald D. Moore. Which is why Harlan was always the biggest hypocrite who ever walked the Earth (and truth be told, his original draft of "City" isn't very good.)
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 03:08 PM   #5
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
Of course Harlan's low opinion of people stealing other's work for themselves for some reason never extended to Ronald D. Moore. Which is why Harlan was always the biggest hypocrite who ever walked the Earth (and truth be told, his original draft of "City" isn't very good.)
agreed

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote