Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 19th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #61
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Well Viperman

I for one am trying VERY hard not to Let my instincts take the best of me, and unload my verbal weapon on a few choice Moore Fans.

May the Lords help me succeed in that task...
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #62
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default Re: And the "pro-Moore" fans are already at it

Quote:
Originally posted by viperman
Your recent post here is starting another firestorm, Damage control, please... Which way do we run? Don't think the fans can do do nothing. It's obvious that the the pro Moore fans think they can do something. We need a target, even if it is just to vent at. Otherwise, I'm afraid a lot of ill will could raise its ugly head again.
Understood.

I was talking with some people tonight about recent events; some of you might call them insiders. Anyways, one of the items I heard about today was that Universal changed it's mind again and sanctioned the remake/re-imagining. The previous changes would be dropped; things would "return as they once were."

The item further mentioned it would have been too embarassing to lose two "major" stars with Oscar credentials (who made headlines in The Hollywood Reporter, as one example), plus the producer, plus the script. In a move to save face, Universal dumped all of their changes en masse. Essentially the remake scored the luckiest reversal ever and won the game.

Not so fast.

There have been a LOT of things set into motion in the past couple of months, particularly this month. Some folks have discovered they didn't wield the power they thought they did. In fact, even when the writing was on the wall, they didn't take full notice. They might feel they're being treated worse than prior production teams as some things were stripped away from them; I don't know.

Some people are petty, spiteful and vindictive when they don't get their way. They're not going away without causing some problems and pain. I've mentioned leaks and how there may be targeted leakage to disrupt, misinform and even trace where the leakage comes from; Two-Brained (Sandy) has mentioned similar things. We know there are folks who were given information by the production to make established fans look bad. (Whatever. If people want to act cowardly and can't interface and speak for themselves, a la jms, to set things straight, that's their problem, not ours. We're only trying to figure out what is happening with developments as we wait... and wait... and wait...)

There were various inconsistencies since getting today's newly supplied "new wrench thrown into the works" rumor and "It's over" rumor (which I mention above) and what some insiders are aware of. I think some folks are playing dirty to cause some pain and anguish. (For example: Imagine if your script was taken away and being redone by someone else -- making it a shell of it's former self. You'd be unhappy.) They suddenly weren't getting their way; they fought for things recently; they involved some of the actors to help them save things; and now they may have another chance.

You may be interested to know:

1.) Some folks are reading these posts and could take the time to diplomatically interface with fans directly and publicly -- and don't. (Let's not forget: They want others to say things for them, to remove any potential liability. Yet some of them may be here and won't say a word themselves as themselves.)

2.) Some folks are desperately trying to save their prior work -- even their involvement.

3.) Some folks don't wield the power they once did, but want you to think they still do.

4.) Some folks are hellbent on provoking fans, including myself, to make comments which skewer ourselves. They're hurting, so they want us to hurt, too. I know I'm being provoked to say things; look at this posting as one example.

5.) Some folks are being told to get connected better with the fans. I think they're waiting until after the first rounds of April announcements before doing this.

So, I'm not giving the new rumor ("It's Over") any credibility yet. And I'm giving my prior "wrench in the works" posting a lower confidence rating. There are far too many examples cited by my contacts which speak to the contrary. I'm not the one who's praying that minor script rewrites which are being turned in any day now will save (your) ass, and not realizing that (they) need to make a decision on (your) ongoing involvement which won't be too significant anyways.

Is is personal? Nah. But some other folks have made it personal themselves.

I expect to see more disinformation and provokings released, all of which try to elicit responses. Some folks are going to push buttons to get responses like this one, hoping for too much information divulging or shooting one's self in the proverbial foot. Some folks want to make others look bad; some folks also want to see what we know. (Yes, I know you're reading this.) I think I'll wait for the official announcements to see what the final results are.

- If you want to sign the SCI-FI Channel/Studios USA Boycott petition, please do so.
- Send snail mail letters to Universal directly, c/o BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.
- Keep your dignity in the face of those who seek to unsettle, rattle and create upset with individuals.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:28 AM   #63
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Micheleh
I doubt it. Michael would never joke about something serious.
That's me: Mr. Intense. Mr. Serious.

I kid you not. (har-har)

Couldn't resist, especially at this late hour. God, I need a vacation break...
Michael
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #64
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Default Re: Wrench=April Fools joke early?

Quote:
Originally posted by newt
I hope so......
You might have missed an earlier posting by me: April Fools Day pranks only apply to April 1st. I'll proceed with one again this year, but it won't be as intricate as prior ones.

On that note: Even Tom DeSanto had a great sense of humor, participating an item to the prank from a couple of years ago. ("The continuation of G1980" prank. hehe. See: http://www.battlestargalactica.com/af/af2001.html )

Michael
:jestor:
Old March 20th, 2003, 01:10 AM   #65
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

I should add: With regards to the Boycott petition, fans of "Farscape" have issues with SCI-FI's abandonment/cancellation of the series. The boycott applies to that fanbase, too.

The boycott isn't solely about the BG remake. At least, that's my personal take.

Michael

Last edited by michaelfaries; March 20th, 2003 at 01:25 AM..
Old March 20th, 2003, 02:19 AM   #66
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Well you got bed, and then the next morning all hell's broken loose!

Whatever happens, I think we'll be vindicated!

Just remember: Payback's a bitch!

Peter
Old March 20th, 2003, 03:40 AM   #67
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Did anyone read siress13 posts

She is apparently the beginning of the flood of optimisim on Milton's board and I was wondering if she could be pulling their leg?

siress13
Siress
(3/19/03 4:57:11 pm)
Reply Re: Thank you Siress13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thankyou all of you for creating an atmosphere worth being a part of.

Now for some news. I recieved an answer from David Eick after asking some questions on the new scifi site.

He tells me that Michael Faries is spreading alot of bull.
The production is going just as planned and doing well.

Thankyou again and I hope more of you will e-mail Mr.Eick.
We certainly will learn more from contact with him than on the scifi forum and all the agenda & drama there.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #68
newt
Warrior

Default Re: Re: Wrench=April Fools joke early?

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries

You might have missed an earlier posting by me: April Fools Day pranks only apply to April 1st. I'll proceed with one again this year, but it won't be as intricate as prior ones.
Nah, I knew that, but given the significance of April 2nd, I thought you may try to catch us off guard by starting early:walmart:
Old March 20th, 2003, 06:01 AM   #69
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Methinks the Siress will get a fast lesson in what it is to be used as a PR mouthpiece (unpaid). (PR = Paid Restyling of Reality, apologies to anyone in the profession but you know what I mean too well.)

Every other time since Dec. they've fought this hard it moved the ball closer to our direction. Desperation does strange things. We can always flood Mr. Eick with email: but be courteous if you choose to do that. I like the just write Battlestar Galactica at Universal option Michael mentioned. (Touched by an Angel ran 8 seasons, I believe 5 or 6 yrs. as a top 10 show, because of a snail mail campaign at the end of season 1 and a producer (Martha Williamson) who like JMS, stood their ground HARD).

And Michael: I hope you remember that thing I told you a while back about darkness, what it sometimes really is. There still can be something amazing coming. Its just more than we could handle to see completely as it progresses. But when it is passed and the news released: we'll see if I am right or not.

I say we keep that truck & keep loading crates of ambrosia. Call it a leap of faith if you must. I think we will get to make that delivery or deliveries. 'Cause they're fighting too hard again.

Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 06:02 AM   #70
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default How is the Question

That is the question. I can't see them filming the show when not all of the major roles have been cast. It would cost double the money to have to film extra scenes and insert them in because the studio would have to pay for traveling arrangements for the actors who missed there scenes due to the fact they hadn't been cast. So far all they have cast is:

William Husker Adama.
Laura Roslin.
Kara Starbuck Thrace.
Lee Apollo Adama.

Uncast:

Paul Tigh.
Geius Baltar.
Billy.
Number Six.
Sharon Boomer Varelli.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #71
dah66
Warrior

Universal wants so "save face" by moving forward with the remake. Why should a business decision being reworked cause embarrassment? Look at what's happening with Superman over at Warner Brothers. Deals fall apart all the time. It's the nature of the business.

Business is the key word here. Obviously, Universal must have some trepidation about the remake or they would not be exploring other options. There must be executives at Universal that see the business sense in preserving the original mythology. These are the people that need our support. The best show of support is letters.

Damn. I am so sick of buying stamps.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #72
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Hmm!

This could be a load of spin doctoring on someone's part. I do think the time for writing letters is over, if they haven't realised by now, the current TPTB are never going to get it.

This could all be the final dying gasp of a neutered production team.

Or it could be the truth.

Whatever. We will know on Monday or the week after.

If it is bad news, I think we will have the last laugh.

Also remember, in the next few months, Universal and the Sci-Fi Channel will most likely be entirely different entities to the ones we know now. As regards the Battlestar Galactica property it could be a whole new ball game.

Remember there ARE good folks still working at Universal who recognise the value of the franchise.

And there are folks here and there who entering the industry who are fans of the original and who could be in positions of power one day.

A few years from now we could see a BSG production that although not a continuation, would follow the spirit and intention of the original far more closely than the RDM travesty.

Just my two cents.

Peter
Old March 20th, 2003, 08:11 AM   #73
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Has Universal given it an official stamp *yet*? If not, they're probably blowing smoke again.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #74
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Michelle, I think you're right-on-the-mark: They haven't. Not publicly at least.

Michael
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #75
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Michael, I'm almost afraid to read your posts with the apparent turn of events.

Trying to keep the faith
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 02:55 PM   #76
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Default Some observations

Allegedly there is going to be some casting news next week according to some posts on Milty's board, their source is email they've been getting back from the askdavideick email addy off the scifi BSG2003 site.

It's funny but they all talk about the emails but won't post them because Eick slammed our Michael in some of them. Gee, the fans on Milty's board have more class than Mr. Eick or whoever is doing his email responses.

Still keeping the faith. Still holding to the harder the propaganda war is fought, the more someone is losing their grip and the closer Galactica is to her former glory and more. BSG doesn't need "almost Oscar winners" we need a cast who's good at their craft that is committed to OUR show's vision. What I wouldn't give to tell Ms. McDonnell and Mr. Olmos our side of this story!
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:07 PM   #77
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Jewels,

We can tell Mr. Olmos.

Go to www.edwardjamesolmos.com.

It is the "Official" page, and there is an e-mail contact...
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:17 PM   #78
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I don't know if Michael's still dancing, after all he'd be knackered if he'd been dancing since this thread started.

Me I'm doing the Funky Chicken right about now!

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:17 PM   #79
jewels

Colonial Fleets

LSF, YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM   #80
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I couldn't dance if my life depended on it. I have two left feet.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:43 PM   #81
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default I do not know but I do ask questions, nobody here

really knows for sure? (If so, I don't know, so if you do send me a HINT!)

I wonder from what has been posted if everyone @ The Scifi Channel is singing from the same songbook, or if some think the Ronald D. Moore remake script strays to far from the TOS, I also wonder if Scifi/Universal has brought in script doctor's? To help keep 'US/those' pesky letter writing fans happy?

I have asked these questions of production people that work for our local WB show Dawson’s Creek. After looking @ the 'gossip' on this & Scifi's forum, that is how I learned what a ‘script doctor/doctor's’ are, go figure. What really got em going was Ron Moore's good reputation & his reaction to his script being 'fine tuned' with him being an executive producer of BSG?

What really got the production folk's interest in Ron D. Moore peaked, was his shot @ Braga & Berman, and the decline of current Star Trek. My Dawson’s Creek & NC Film Commission friends think he maybe angling for a future doing a new Star Trek.

The last movie & UPN's Enterprise ratings are in toilet & Moore was an executive producer of Roswell along with co evecutive producer Jonathan Frakes, so the thinking goes that next Trek movie will be sans Captain Jean-Luc Picard/Patrick Stewart but with Captain Riker/Jonathan Frakes. If Ron D. isn’t called to help out Enterprise, his buddy Frakes might ask him to help out a write/co-produce a new new generation ST:TNG movie.

Movies are much more prestigious & profitable that TV. This is all pure speculation, but some of my WB/NCFC guys &/or gals used to work for ST:TNG & DS9.

Ok some more semi informed speculation by some people that do this for a living, something is amiss with the current BSG production, why not any real definite final word on the current BSG production, you do not hire Mary McDonnell and not use her, she will get paid no matter what, her agent/agency has good lawyers. So it would be folly to piss her off, so something close to her Ron D. Moore character will be on Scifi.

Last edited by dvo47p; March 21st, 2003 at 06:48 PM..
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 08:34 PM   #82
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

I read something today on Eonline.com: I did a "Battlestar Galactica" search and came up with a couple of entries from 2001/2002 that talk about reviving BSG (these were the DeSanto days, before he left, apparently, to do "Dangerous Minds").

There was a brief reference to the BSG rights "passing" to StudioUSA from Universal; whether this is actually part of Vivendi/Universal I have no clue, but it was interesting.

dvo, you never cease to amaze me. For a cynic, you sure sound hopeful. I can see Ms. McDonnell, though, as a civilian representative (or even President) of the Quorum, at odds with Adama (as much of the Quorum was during the series), with a bit of sexual tension under the surface. I like her work, she's good, and, if it's done right, she could be an asset.

My thoughts on the subject.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:14 AM   #83
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Dawg,

StudioUSA is part of Universal, and is currently for sale as is the SciFi channel. At this time Battlestar Galactica is in SciFi's hands.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 12:53 PM   #84
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Amazing, eh? TRUE & MUCH MORE!

Dawg I have been pestering these people for insight for over a year about BSG. (we frequent the same watering holes) Remember they think something like Ron D. Moore's concept of BSG is what we are going to get. Ron D. maybe put out by script doctors, but his name still will be the one listed as the writer.

I like the speculation that Ron D. might be positioning himself along with his buddy Frakes for a shot @ helming Star Trek, it needs help. What it really needs is an entirely new cast, not a remake with the usual suspects & same technobabble & bumpy headed aliens of the week.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg There was a brief reference to the BSG rights "passing" to StudioUSA from Universal; whether this is actually part of Vivendi/Universal I have no clue, but it was interesting.
dvo, you never cease to amaze me. For a cynic, you sure sound hopeful. I can see Ms. McDonnell, though, as a civilian representative (or even President) of the Quorum, at odds with Adama (as much of the Quorum was during the series), with a bit of sexual tension under the surface. I like her work, she's good, and, if it's done right, she could be an asset. I am Dawg
Dawg this current show isn’t a continuation, ergo I am not happy.

At http://tv.universalstudios.com they have the Children of Dune listed among Universal’s TV shows, I guess this helps clear up who is in charge of Scifi.

OK, Dawg, Universal TV did BSG the TOS for ABC, I have the BSG 'movie' Saga of a Star War,(the first three episodes) & it has the usual movie Universal logo & stuff. Plus after Universal in Australia announced they were relapsing BSG on DVD lots of fans in the US planned on buying DVD players that could play the OZ region PAL format, then nope they didn't have the best footage & Universal TV plans on releasing BSG & other shows like Magnum PI but I have not heard much since then, I guess if they ever do it Michael will put it on his BSG, site What’s New News, not his ‘What’s New Old News’ site.

I am the perpetually amazing dvo47p!
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote