Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old May 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #1
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up What Is Your Favourite Film sound track/score

This is a topic I am very intrested in I love film music from many types of film
Sci-fi, action, comady, etc and I would like to know what is your favourite tune's
and composer's.

Quote:
1.name the film
2.name the composer
3.why you like the music
1.The film tune I am nominating is Ladyhawke with Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer, Matthew Broderick, Leo McKern. A haunting adventure fantasy about a pair of cursed lovers who are transformed into animal shapes during alternate periods of the day. (also Rutger Hauer is one of my favourite actors of all time).

2.Music by: Andrew Powell

3.the music at frist seems out of place some people say it is too modern for the
film and they are right and I admit it, never the less the music is great a little of action, drama, romance and wonder. the music should grab you and make you want to get up and race off and rescue someone.

The choice you make can be from any film and it not Necessary to be in any kind of order of choice, It can be because the music made you laugh or cry.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”

Last edited by gmd3d; May 22nd, 2004 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: making a change
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #2
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default favorite film scores

The very first film soundtrack I ever bought was "Jaws" on LP in 1975. I had seen the movie that summer, and although the music wasn't being played on the radio so I wasn't familiar with it beforehand, the one time I saw the film the music really impressed me. I was 14 at the time. Some of the music still gives me chills. The composer was John Williams, of course, and I think it might have been his first really well known theme music.
The soundtrack I've played the most is probably James Horner's "Apollo 13" from 1995. I own it on cassette for the car, the regular CD and the gold CD with the dialogue. This is my all-time favorite movie and I am glad to hear the main theme occasionally utilized in other programs.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Mary -

That's not an easy question..... I can tell you that my first Film Soundtrack that I ever bought was Star Wars back in 1976. I think that I played it almost every night before bed (turned down low) for a while. I moved on to Superman - The Movie and then Battlestar Galactica and Alien. My next major soundtrack was when Star Trek - The Motion Picture came out. It has been one of my all time favorites to this day - I bought the 25 Anniversary CD set and it gets lots of play. I've bought a lot of Soundtracks over the years and the composers are varied - Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, etc...

If I had to pick a favorite, the best I could do is narrow it down to 2 or 3 at best. I would have to chose Star Trek - The Motion Picture, Battlestar Galactica and both the soundtrack albums for Space:1999 (Series 1 & 2). These are the "classics" that get the most play.

I do have a more recent entry that has been spending a lot of time in my car CD player. It's the soundtrack to the 2003 version of Solaris. The music has an interesting, dreamlike quality and is just plain fun to listen to. I couldn't find it in stores, so I had to buy it from Amazon.com. It was worth every penny!

Best,
Bryan
________
No2 vaporizer reviews
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #4
gmd3d
Major

skippercollecto
YEAH Jaws still gives me the chills and I still give my bath a second look before getting in, never mind the sea John williams is one of the top composers in my short list. Superman is an other good film track I love it when Superman and lois are flying above the city and her poam.

Gemini1999
Star Trek - The Motion Picture, when Kirk and Scott are approching the Enterprise and Kirk see the ship for the first time it my favourite in that movie
mainly when see the Enterprise in all her glory.
I have not seen Solaris yet! I will rent it out

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #5
cranky1c
Warrior

The best cinematic use of music in a science fiction film is a tie between ST:TNG (especially that approach scene to the refurbished Enteprise) and Star Wars. Both scores added emotional weight to the scene that would not have been present without the score.

My favorite musical score outside of genre is the theme from an old Jeremy Levin film called "Creator." (Peter O'Toole, Vinent Spano, Muriel Hemmingway, David Ogden-Steirs)
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:51 AM   #6
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Uhm I have too many to just limit it to one...

1 Star Wars (need I say more?)
2 Braveheart
3 First Knight
4 Last of the Mohicans
5 The Patriot
6 Moulin Rouge (sorry but ObiWan can SING!!!)
7 Labyrinth
8 LOTR
9 Dancing with Wolves
10 Pirates of the Caribean
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:22 AM   #7
gmd3d
Major

darkjedi you can have as many as you like.

Your first choice is one of mine (they all are really) and what I would like to know is why.

for example
*Star Wars
*John Williams
*When I was Star Wars it was a huge event all around the world and I remember setting in the theatre with my Father ,Sister and Brother I was 7 at the time and as you will remember the 20 century fox Title apperars on the screen.
then da da da music, the hair on the back of my neck stood up, and then explosions, music and a small space ship flying across the screen, wow Then a new ship appered and it just kept on getting bigger and bigger I was hooked
I loved it.
And so begain a life long intrest in film music

Old May 21st, 2004, 02:32 PM   #8
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

I think that Star Trek : The Motion Picture has a beautiful soundtrack, enhanced by the use of the 'Blaster Beam' instrument (used for V'Ger) - I've heard some descriptions about it being made from artillery shells, but have never seen any pictures of it. It's a shame that more films didn't make use of it (It may have been used to a smaller extent on Wrath Of Khan & Search For Spock and on a few others).

I don't really own that many soundtracks outside the Sci-fi genre (most of it consists of Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Alien, plus one or two others). Notable favourites include Jerry Goldsmith's The Mummy (some really nice tracks, but others to skip), and Laurence Rosenthal's Meteor (Was this film a flop? One thing that stuck in my mind all these years was the excellent music).

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:18 PM   #9
gmd3d
Major

Ian_W359
Quote:
Laurence Rosenthal's Meteor (Was this film a flop? One thing that stuck in my mind all these years was the excellent music).
I had forgotten Meteor and I think it was a flop at the box office but who cares when you have Sean Connery playing the lead, I like meteor and its sound track
if I remember right the music has a kind of a haunting sound I will have to look that one up again.

your other choice was going to be my next The Wrath of Kahn by James Horner
a great sound track one that has some Star Trek fans close to tears (me anyway)
is when I first seen it in the pictures is the scene with Kirk and Spock in the engine room and Spock is dieing and the line i love "I have been and all ways shall be your friend" and James Horner music playing in the back round,
and Scotty playing the bagpipes when launching the coffin into the planet.
wonderfull stuff.

Does anyone have a kleenex for the love of god give me a Kleenex

sorry about that pre mid life crisis syndrom

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:48 PM   #10
Stray Viper
Warrior

Yeah, pretty much anything by John Williams is memorable ... Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, Jurassic Park and ...

E.T. Which I will name as my favorite. It really adds to the film. It's simply dripping with emotions from sadness, adventure/excitement, anger etc. I will always remember it.

A close second would have to be the film score to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Howard Shore did an amazing job and the music blends perfectly with what's happening in the films. Inspired.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:16 PM   #11
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

There are so many I could never pick just one! John Williams, James Horner, Stu Phillips, Danny Elfman... there are just so many!

Perhaps my all around fav is because it stirs happiness in me each time I hear it... the Theme from Flight of the Navigator by Alan Sylvestri. Tied together with the saucer/frisbee opening and the great catch by that dog (whose owner posted a link on the net! He was a prize-winning aussie shepherd, who sadly passed away soon after the movie), it's just so great. I used to watch it over and over just to hear the music.

And boy am I glad it's almost June... Disney is FINALLY releasing it on wonderful DVD!!! Ah, my favorite theme in DD5.1, nirvana!!!

Now if they'd only release Cloak and Dagger...
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:59 AM   #12
gmd3d
Major

Pick as many as you like please don't stop at 1 or 10 choices.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:36 AM   #13
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default john williams theme music

My favorite piece of music from the Star Wars movies is Darth Vader's theme song. It's the reason I own the "Empire Strikes Back" soundtrack instead of the original "Star Wars." I think "Empire" has the best music of all of the Star Wars films.
Although, personally, I think John Williams' best composition is the theme from "Schindler's List." It's very difficult to get through that piece without tears streaming down my face. It isn't just because it's from a sad movie; it's just such an emotional tune in and of itself.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote