Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 10th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default The Battlestar Galactica Movie

For the new folks here who may not know.

Glen Larson has said that if people still love the old show, they can not only have a new BG TV show based on the OLmos Adama, but they can have a BATTLESTAR MOVIE based on the original cast!!!!!!!

Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds?!?

All Glen's backers needs to know is that folks still WANT to see the old cast return!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #2
ViperAce
Bad Email Address

I say ... although it would be a little odd to have both at the same time ... bring on the originals!!!
ViperAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

only odd at first. But won't it be FUN!!!!!

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #4
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

ST:TNG aired along with the ST films with the original series cast members.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

And Paramount is still raking in dough from that (dvds, TNT's syndication agreement)

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #6
jjrakman

Make sure people check out the What Dreams May Come Section at Colonial Fleets for details on this.
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #7
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Bring back TOS cast and work out in a dignified manner the old Adama. Anything less would be a disservice to Lorne Greene and his contribution to the series.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #8
Dean Martin
Warrior

Belloby, you are a mini hater. There is another forum for you to vent in.
This is the good mini forum.
Dean Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #9
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Default Re: The Battlestar Galactica Movie

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g

Glen Larson has said that if people still love the old show, they can not only have a new BG TV show based on the OLmos Adama, but they can have a BATTLESTAR MOVIE based on the original cast!!!!!!!

All Glen's backers needs to know is that folks still WANT to see the old cast return!
So how do we show Larson that, outside of buying the BSG1979 DVD a couple dozen times each and sending them all out to family and friends?

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #10
Dean Martin
Warrior

Well good DVD sales for the series could be instrumental.
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #11
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

well... my suggestion is to start here. Instaed of forming a scrimmige line with the two sides warring over which galactica is better, just except the fact that there are now two. Can't deny that fact after all.

And both sides need to stop saying what was wrong with the other show and say what was right with theirs. That's a small start. But you have to begin a journey with the first step.

Old December 13th, 2003, 05:17 AM   #12
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

I like both incarnations. If the miniseries becomes a weekly series, I will watch it. But I am also writing Larson, DeSanto and anyone else that I can think of to let them know we also want a continuation movie. We could end up with a bigger franchise than Star Trek with two versions of the show to watc. Plus, think of the fan fic we get get.
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #13
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default both

I like both and itd be neat to see both running... then for the most part we'd all be happy! (at least content perhaps?) :baloon:
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #14
malachi42
Bad Email Address

I actually have to admit that I have never seen the old series but I truely like the new series. I am very wrapped up in BSG. And you know what? I think it's cool that Starbuck is a girl. I think it's cool because it shows that women are can be the best or to be in charge. I don't understand why that is so bad. Is it because it's different from the old series or is it because she's a woman??
malachi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #15
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
I think it's cool that Starbuck is a girl. I think it's cool because it shows that women are can be the best or to be in charge. I don't understand why that is so bad. Is it because it's different from the old series or is it because she's a woman??
Nothing wrong with showing strong women. They could have brought back ANY one of the original FEMALE characters to accomplish this.
The reason Starbuck being a woman is unacceptable is because Starbuck was one of the main characters and a key reason for people liking the original show. The fans wanted these basic things intact, Ron Moore knew the fans wanted these things and decided HE knew what was best. It is an insult and and this point I still don't see the reasoning behind it. She acts like a male character. Not that it would be a horrible thing mind you, but there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it.

They could have used Athena, Cassiopea, Sheba... Any one of these characters could have been used in ADDITION to Starbuck being intact.
Old December 15th, 2003, 04:23 AM   #16
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

I agree Dean. Obviously Ron did not know of the strong female characters in TOS, since he himself admits that when he wrote his own script, he had only seen Saga of a Star World, the Larson Pilot.
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #17
jonahlee
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by GalacticanCajun
I agree Dean. Obviously Ron did not know of the strong female characters in TOS, since he himself admits that when he wrote his own script, he had only seen Saga of a Star World, the Larson Pilot.
It did seem strange with such good female characters to pick from, to decide to change male characters into female. That makes much more sense.

As for having both, that is great as long as it works out, and doesn't serve to completely confuse the non-fans. Both being named BATTLESTAR GALACTICA might be a tad confusing, in my experience working on the LORD OF THE RINGS SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION DVD'S is that most non-fans had a huge deal of trouble just figuring out the Theatrical and Extended Edition DVD's and this is the same movie, so there might be some confusion with 2 different Franchises with the same name, and same character names.

I am up for it, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #18
xenagabby99
Shuttle Pilot

Default Hmmm

I think it would be great if Larson did another Battlestar movie with the original cast. Would love to see old Starbuck still hitting on the young ladies, maybe get the new Starbuck to guest star as Starbuck Jr, LOL! Even if they had the original cast just wouldn't be the same without good old Lorne Green, now that man was awesome!
xenagabby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #19
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

A BSG Movie and a Re-imaged BSG Series at the same time. Hmm....

Why not?

Admittedly, it would be a bit weird and unusual. Almost like when Armeggedon and Deep Impact were produced and released at the same time. Same basic premise, different perspective/approach to telling the story.

In the case of BSG, I think it might work because there are definitely 2 different camps of fans (with some overlap), so the producers would be appealing to essentially different audiences.

I personally wouldn't have any problems with watching both.
baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #20
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Exactly Baafan... 2 camps and having both would apease both! (some more than others tho)

callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #21
sdwebguy

Default Re: The Battlestar Galactica Movie

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g

That would be fine with me. But can the market bear two BG's and will there just be confusion amongst the general public..i.e. - a movie will not be made if they don't think it will sell or if people are confused.
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #22
lordpenquin
Shuttle Pilot

Step 1: Sell TOS on DVD

all the "old-timers" (like myself) buy it, as well as a new
generation. DVD sales prove there is still a market.

Step 2: Bring out silver-screen version reunion

interest grows in seeing more

Step 3: TOS returns to TV via syndication.

Always a plan, but a long shot.
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #23
sihirvyth2

The ST comparison is a good indication of what would happen. Even though there has been no re-imagining of ST:TOS (yet), there's plenty of little things that have been 're-imagined' in Trek over the years.

Remember, the people making these decisions don't really care about continuity or what makes sense. They just care about how much money they'll rake in.

They had no problems putting out the DVD set at the same time of the Mini to take your money. They had no problems putting out a video game which takes elements of both the mini and TOS to take your money. So if the series is popular, they won't have any problems making a movie with Benedict and Hatch, which would be a surefire way to fill the seats and take your money. They're probably drooling at the extra marketing dollars because then they could sell TWO different versions of every action figure! Not sure how parents are going to explain to their kids why one Starbuck has boobies and the other one doesn't, but again, they don't quibble about details just dollars.

I'm going to check out the series when it comes out, and if there was a BSG movie with the original Apollo and Starbuck, I'd gladly fork over $$ to see it.
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #24
Antelope

Default Prequel

Make a movie with the old cast and old story line. When the movie is done have it end in a way that makes it a prequel for the new Battlestar mythos. I have seen some ideas on how to pull it together. It would serve as a way to unite all Galactica fans and would probably have great ratings.

Possible ending: They never find Earth. They stop running far away from the original home worlds. They name the new home planets after the old. A small group refuses to quit and continues on. Rumor returns that Earth was found but no one knows for sure. The new Galactica starts 10,000 (pick a number) years after the end of the proposed movie. The old story is now a legend.
Old December 17th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #25
Soulmage
Shuttle Pilot

I've been lurking here and on other forums for a while now (since a couple days before the premier) reading what folks on both sides have been saying. I thought I'd just offer my two cents.

I don't think its realistic to expect that anything will ever be done with the old series at this point. With Sunday's numbers proving that Sci-Fi has a huge hit on its hands, it would take major blunders on their part at this point to keep the new series from being very successful.

Consider this, if the new series goes more than a single season, it will pretty much be THE Battlestar Galactica franchise. Relagating the older show in the minds of the American public to "that other show in the 70's."

I hope that a year from now, all the various BSG fans will by and large be united under one roof. Sure, the new show will take some getting used to, but if they do the series well, it should still be good sci-fi for us to enjoy.

Certainly there will be folks that will never move beyond the old show, but I think they'll wind up being increasingly irrelevant. How often do you hear from folks these days who are completely against anything but ST:TOS, rejecting Next Generation and all its sucessors as sub-par dreck.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the old show and own the original movie on DVD. I think I still prefer the look of the old galactica. It just seems that the american public has indicated with its viewing that they're ready for something new. Folks will either adapt themselves to that reality or not. But it probably won't change things much either way if they don't.

Oh, in another thread somebody made the comment that ST they didn't dare to do a "Re-imagining." In Trek, they didn't need to. They could update the show all they needed just by moving it forward 84 years. There was no way that they could take that approach with Galactica.

The destruction of the colonies is the foundation of the whole series. There's no way a show could hope to gain an audience if they didn't deal with that core event that drives the show. How could the lay viewer identify with something that's supposed to profoundly affect every aspect of the character's lives on the show, when that event was never even addressed within the show they're watching and that instead they must watch some other show that's 25 years old to get the backstory for the characters they're watching today.

You also couldn't very well have the human colonies wiped out AGAIN in a continuous universe. In that case the humans would pretty much have it coming if they allowed the cylons to get the drop on them twice.

No, really the only option was to re-imagine the series to update it to be contemporaneous with society today. That meant changes and big ones. There's just no getting around it.

Anyway. . . I've rambled enough.

Last edited by Soulmage; December 17th, 2003 at 02:10 PM..
Soulmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #26
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

There is no rule that says that the TOS universe has to be the same as the mini.
TOS can be updated and still retain original themes and character relationships. All it takes is the will to do it.
If Tom Dsanto gets to helm the movie it will happen.
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 05:16 AM   #27
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default TOS universe ISN"T the same as the mini

And I hope all you TOS fans get something like what you want.Would a reunion movie be enough?

And I hope the retell goes to series.