Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 16th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #1
Cosmic Cleric

Question BSG - Rebellion -- Should I buy this?

Hello all. Need your advise.

I've bought the previous three Richard Hatch books, and am trying to decide if I should spend ~ $20 for Rebellion.

Amazon.com's reader reviews really nuke the hell out of it. 1 1/2 stars to be exact; not a good sign!

Anyway, my inclination is to NOT get it, but I'd hate to have a hole in my understanding of the story line, if a fifth book comes out.

If I liked the previous three books somewhat, would I like the fourth enough not to feel ripped off by buying it?

Or did the Amazon.com reviews get it wrong?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #2
Apothis
On Vacation...

Definitely buy it...I loved the book.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Yes, buy it! It's a lot better than Resurrection.

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #4
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default I have it

Go ahead & buy it, keep up to speed.

I think Hatch is working on #5
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Artemis
Warrior

If you don't want to spend $20 you can get it for $13.22 at half.com, well it is more like $16.50 with shipping. I enjoyed it and didn't feel ripped off for buying it at full price.
Remember, frequently the loudest voices are the negative ones.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I liked it, though thought it the most difficult read of all 4 (to this day I have some questions....oh, well!) I'd still recommend it, there are definately things that point towards possibly needing to know them for book 5.

There are comments on the review barge too if you look over there.
Jewels

Last edited by jewels; January 16th, 2003 at 02:13 PM..
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #7
crash4587
Bad Email Address

Cool The reason I bought Rebellion

It sends a message To TPTB: A) We want new BG product, B) we want a continuation, and C) Even though I don't agree with every thing Hatch does with Galactica, it gives me the BG fix I need.
crash4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #8
reckless
Shuttle Pilot

I'm one of those reviewers on Amazon. The book sucks, makes a mockery out of canon and fails even if it weren't a BSG book (i.e., if it were a story about random characters). One of the members of a BSG fic mailing lists actually posted a chapter-by-chapter synopsis of the book. Had the original book contained her editorial comments, it might have been bearable.

Definitely skip or, if you are truly desperate to read it, pick it up in a bargain bin for $3.99. If you want good BSG stories, try fan fiction. Most of it is far better than Rebellion.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

Reckless seriously any chance of the Battlestar Galactica fanfiction stories produced over the years by fans to be published in a huge hardcover/paperback book with various writers permission to do so? I agree with you alot of what i've read in incredible but if fans are so passionate would their be a realistic chance of this happening.

Would take time to do and research to produce it! Because it sounds so good to do or try even. Either a huge collection of fanfics or a independant produced novels would be great to see in a book shop!

I have to admit though, Richard Hatch's first two novels are o.k. though, barring of course the dumb "Kobollian pure blooded only" can lead stuff? and Rigel sex changes made? and i think enough Pegasus fans were pissed with what he did with Cain and his ship in the third story, but it was a gutsy thing to do though?

KJ

We need more books and comics of Battlestar Galactica damn it!
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #10
Cosmic Cleric

Thank you all for your opinions. I appreciate it.

It looks like the majority of you think I should get it.

One more question for all of you. Peter Noble said that it's a lot better than Resurrection. Would you all agree with this? The reason I ask is because since I've read Resurrection, comparing it to Rebellion will give me a yard stick to measure it against, in making my decision.

Thanks again to you all for your comments/advice!
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #11
Cosmic Cleric

Quote:
Originally posted by reckless
I'm one of those reviewers on Amazon. The book sucks, makes a mockery out of canon and fails even if it weren't a BSG book (i.e., if it were a story about random characters).
Is it THAT much worse than the other books?

Would you spend any $$$ to purchase this book? If so, how much?

What about this book that makes it so bad? The story line? The writing? Or is it just the typos that gave it a non-professional feel?

Details! Anything you could add would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 17th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #12
dah66
Warrior

Cosmic Cleric,
The basic story line is not bad. I'm thinking that Richard came up with a decent outline and then it was turned over to a writer that had no real understanding of what Galactica was all about.
There are tons of typo's and grammatical errors that detract from the flow of the novel. Making matters worse, the author constantly reiterated the characters and conflict every couple of pages. For example, Jinkrat, was the leader of the rebellion. Every time this character was mentioned, the author felt the need to clarify that he was "the rebel Jinkrat". Since there was only one character named Jinkrat, and he was obviously leading the rebellion, it became frustrating to have this point constantly repeated.
Also, there were some passages that made absolutely no sense. I read these sections again and again trying to puzzle out what the author was trying to say with no success. Obviously, the publisher chose to print the book "as is" with no editing or basic proofreading and it shows. The final work reads like a rough draft that was not intended for publication. This is the same problem that made Resurrection such a tough read.
Do I think you should buy it? Yes. If you can get past the coarseness of the narrative, there are some decent moments and some of the story elements presented in this novel will provide the foundation for Richard's next book.
If you do read the novel, and then agree with my comments, I would recommend sending the publisher a polite e-mail indicating your displeasure with the lack of professional editing in regard to the last two Galactica novels.

Thanks,

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #13
KJ
Strike Leader

Don't know Cosmic Cleric i haven't read the 4th book yet. The typos in the novels aren't as bad as people say although there are more in them as the series goes along, prehaps their rushed too much, to get released early every year?

Richard Hatch should expand the rights he has doing those novels, so a hold slew of fanfiction writers and novelists can finally get out their stories to the masses. Star Wars, Star Trek, B5, Dr Who and other franchises take advantage of the novels ability to expand on the series or movie with stories so why not BG!

All i can say on the novels is he has done wonders as well as some bizarre stuff to the Galactica Universe?

Examples: Good and bad elements in the Hatch novels!

Without too many spoilers

*Good

Colonials - Strong character relationships! Twists and turns with them

QSE Technology! - Would love for this to be in a new production. like the Seraphs ships of light, the Colonials and Cylons have modified Vipers and Raiders that phase in and out of dimentional planes i.e. in and out of reality (would make for interesting and original dogfights never before seen)

Use of Borellian Nomen - Nuff said

More ruthless Cylons - Not sure how to put it but more dangerous

Mythology of BG expanded on - Kobol not only or wasn't the first place man came from* see page 60 to 62 of Armageddon

Boxey/Troy fleshed out more - Rites of passage journey for him and his fellow Warriors from the Academy

Fleshed out Athena - Stronger presence

New characters - Gar'Tokk, Zimmer, Dalton

New upgrades to ships and vessels - Scarlet/Duet Vipers, Dark Cylon Raiders,

Tougher Warriors - Cain doing one arm push ups?

New enemies - Chitain?

The Bad?

Count Iblis origin - ? what......!

New Battlestars - and then what? underdog feeling slightly lost here.

Only pure blooded Kobollians can lead - Maybe thats why Tigh's President instead of a Commander?

Rigel's a guy? - huh?

Apollo and Cassie? -Right?

Back to Kobol - interesting but strange?

Borellian bodyguard? - So much for thinking humans are weak now you protect them?

Lost pilots syndrome - Starbuck lost in beginning of Armegeddon, yes we know fighter pilots can be lost during dogfight, but we've seen it too many times already during the old show? old plot device.

Bio Organic Cylons - With human D.N.A. no less?

There you go Cleric, a little point of view from me no less.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #14
Cosmic Cleric

Thanks everyone for your comments. I put a order in yesterday for the book. I figured that since I purchased the other three, I'd might as well keep it as a set, even if I end up not liking the book that much. But now that I know what to expect, I can keep my expectations in check, and hopefully I'll enjoy reading it that way.

Thanks again!
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:48 PM   #15
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by dah66

If you do read the novel, and then agree with my comments, I would recommend sending the publisher a polite e-mail indicating your displeasure with the lack of professional editing in regard to the last two Galactica novels.
You nailed my pet peeve for both books (copyeditor asleep at the wheel)
any idea of iBooks email addy for comments?
Jewels
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:09 PM   #16
dah66
Warrior

Jewels,

I got this from the Ibooks website: info@ibooksinc.com

Dave
Old January 22nd, 2003, 07:42 PM   #17
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Thanks, Dave. I emailed them already. I've just worked for too many perfectionistic copyeditors/writers in my career. I appreciate your research.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 05:08 AM   #18
dah66
Warrior