Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #1
Cylon Eye

Default What if Dirk Benedict played Starbuck's father?

I remember the "BG" epsiode where Fred Astaire played Starbuck's father.

I think it would be an interesting twist if Dirk did an episode where he turned out to be the father of Kara?
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Being that Dirk Benedict was offered a cameo part for the miniseries and turned it down, I just wouldn't count on him changing his mind anytime soon. Better keep working on that casting call....

Regards,
Bryan
________
Michigan Medical Marijuana
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #3
The One
Bad Email Address

Very good idea. That would be neat!
The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Antelope

Default Sheba and Caine

I speculate that Kara Thrace is really based on the "character" of "Sheba" at the end of TOS. You can view her current relationship with Apollo and her loss for Zac as similar to the TOS Sheba's feelings for Apollo and loss of Bojay at the end of TOS season 1.

Since Moore has already talked about remaking "Living Legend", the Pegasus episodes I think it would be great if Dirk Benedict was offered the role of Commander Caine. I also think it would throw the audience for a loop if his call sign was "Caine" but his last name Thrace. It would fit perfectly with the overall mini universe which appears to mirror the end of TOS season 1. If Dirk Benedict was offered a real starring role, which Caine would be, not just a cameo I think he might just bite.

It would be a ratings blockbuster for SCIFI and a great payday for Dirk Benedict.
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #5
Dogface

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini1999
Being that Dirk Benedict was offered a cameo part for the miniseries and turned it down, I just wouldn't count on him changing his mind anytime soon.
Jonathan Harris answered a few questions after the Lost in Space movie was released, and he said that he had been offered a cameo. I believe he said something to the effect of "Do you know what a cameo is? A crappy walk-on, so I turned them down."

I could see any number of actors turning down a mere cameo but going for a larger role.
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #6
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I saw Johnathan Harris in person at what I believe was his last ever convention appearance. When someone asked him why he didn't appear in the LiS movie he replied in a booming voice, "Why didn't I appear in the film you say? Because it was an ABOMINATION!"

He then went on a several minute Dr. Smith-esque monologue about it. He said they kept calling him and offering him more and more money but he kept turning them down. "In Hollywood of course, they always assume it's the money. They simply could not believe that I would not appear in their ABOMINATION of such a lovely televison program. How could they expect any actor of integrity to do such a thing?"

Meanwhile every other suriviving LiS actor was sitting to his right. Most of them had appeared in the movie of course and would visibly sink in their seats every time Harris would shout the word "ABOMINATION!" The crowd roared with laughter though. It was great, one of the best convention panels I've ever attended. I was very sad when Harris died. He was a charming man.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #7
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Sheba and Caine

Quote:
Originally posted by antelope526
I speculate that Kara Thrace is really based on the "character" of "Sheba" at the end of TOS. You can view her current relationship with Apollo and her loss for Zac as similar to the TOS Sheba's feelings for Apollo and loss of Bojay at the end of TOS season 1.

Since Moore has already talked about remaking "Living Legend", the Pegasus episodes I think it would be great if Dirk Benedict was offered the role of Commander Caine. I also think it would throw the audience for a loop if his call sign was "Caine" but his last name Thrace. It would fit perfectly with the overall mini universe which appears to mirror the end of TOS season 1. If Dirk Benedict was offered a real starring role, which Caine would be, not just a cameo I think he might just bite.

It would be a ratings blockbuster for SCIFI and a great payday for Dirk Benedict.
Now THAT is one delicious idea! Mr Moore, are you lurking?

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #8
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Sheba and Caine

Quote:
Originally posted by antelope526
I think it would be great if Dirk Benedict was offered the role of Commander Caine.
I second Anelope's motion. All in favor?
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #9
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

I feel Moore’s grand re-invention should stay it’s own course. Dirk Benedict was a great Starbuck the role was written for him. I don’t believe he is close to the best choice for Cmdr. Cain nor do I want a cheap bone thrown my way.

I would prefer Dirk in some continuation film.

Let each version of Battlestar thrive or die on it’s own.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote