Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old May 15th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thumbs up Enterprise 2x24 - First Flight

I just finished rewatching last nights Enterprise episode and I am still floored by it!

This show has consistantly been ...pretty damn bland. I have been consistantly disapointed by the quality of the writing. I've been even more disapointed by the lack of storylines that reflect the fact that this is THE first starship.

Finally we get a story that isn't some interchangable story with any other trek show. Or ain't a "teaser" that shows some glimpse of what we saw in the other trek shows. Like the Ferengis episode. Lame. Lame Lame.

Instead.. they actually did some writing in this one. I'm amazed. And I liked it! This one tooka us back to the past when Archer and his "rival" were competing to be the first to break the Warp 2 barrier. The story showed us a different, younger more raw recruit. And it showed how he grew into being who he was. And actual character arc! And one dictated by the story, and not tacked on just cause they couldn't think of anything original to write. ( Making Starbuck female comes to mind as typical of tis lack of creative thought).

I liked it.

Unfortunately 3 minutes later they went into a second episode with a Jolene Blalock, the supermodel Vulcan with HUGE silicon breasts trapped in decon in skimpy clothing spreading gel all over her body, and she's so damn horny she has to get laid!

ahh... oh well.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Jolene

I wish I was stuck in Decon with her.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
This the one with the Tellarites?

Funny how the better Enterprise eps are the ones with the ORIGINAL series aliens (Tellarites, Andorians) and not the TNG era aliens (Borg, Ferengi...)

nope... that was the one that followed. There were two episodes one wednesday. First Flight was basically "The Right Stuff" Star Trek style as Archer told T'Pol of Earths early test flight program to break the Warp 2 barrier.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 01:38 AM   #4
Agelastus
Warrior

From the epsodes shown over here on terrestrial TV, be glad.

A hit rate of one out of twenty-plus is not enough to make a series watchable.

I never thought anything could be worse than Voyager.
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thumbs up Leonard Nimoy

Here is a man with guts. Asked about Enterprise, Nimoy stated, "It is another attempt to milk the franchise dry."
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

OK, I'll say it if nobody else will.

The season ender was weak.

I couldn't feel the emotion (except once, when Trip and Malcolm were in the corridor after Enterprise left Earth).

T'Pol is hardly the Vulcan Spock was. I mean, the actress who played T'Pring in "Amok Time" was a better Vulcan (and just as easy on the eyes).

And naming the Klingon "Duras"? What were they thinking? In TNG/DS9, the Duras family was a prominent one (albeit with Romulan support); having the head of the house killed like that would pretty much ruin any chances of that house getting ahead. Right?

Oh, yes, they need to link Enterprise with recent Star Trek the audience would be more familiar with. Like the episodes with the Borg, using forehead ridges on the Klingons, making the Tellarites almost unrecognizable from the TOS Tellarites..... About the only thing they did right was improving the Andorians - even if they did need a Vorta to do it.

I guess I'm cranky today.

As much as I hate to see the end of network science fiction, I'm not too hopeful Enterprise will be back next year. Or even if it should be.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:20 AM   #7
Senmut
Strike Leader

Is T'Pol Vulcan for "silicon"? She divorced her betrothed, but where was the khunat khalifee? Way too much inconsistancy. Are any of the writers from TOS still alive?
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:30 AM   #8
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I agree...I think T-pol's clothing needs to be toned down a bit. If you notice, all the other Vulcans wear more clothing....I think she needs to be in something more like a starfleet uniform; if not in one. There is no reason that she can't wear one. They finally put Deanna Troi in one and her character didn't diminish at all. She became a stronger character.........well, just a thought....don't all you guys yell at me now...they can still have her in De-con psuedo- masturbating with the gel.....
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

I agree totally, Emerita. Her outfits need a total redisign. One would think that by the time of the show, they could spry decon stuff on people, rathr than rub it all over, ala sex toy gel. I mean hey!! I like scantily clad babes as much as the next normal guy, but this is supposed to be serious Sci-Fi, not the Playboy Channel! SERIOUS writing, please!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #10
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by emerita
They finally put Deanna Troi in one and her character didn't diminish at all. She became a stronger character.........
The reason Deanna started wearing a uniform was because she became an officer, but it was much better than the silly outfits they had her in.
I do think the Klingons should look like the ones from TOS, they did mention the change in a DS9 episode. And the Duras thing is confusing, how is he to be at Kitamer(spelling?) if he is already dead?
The season finale was rather wishy washy. I wish they would stop with the time travel stuff, that got old in TOS. If they really wanted to do a prequel why do they need to keep going into the future for interesting stories?
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #11
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
The reason Deanna started wearing a uniform was because she became an officer, but it was much better than the silly outfits they had her in.
Not quite - she was an officer, but when Jellico(?) took over command he ordered her to wear a standard uniform.

I agree, though, the uniform worked far better than the original costuming.

Remember, TNG was set 80 years after TOS, and ENT is set about the same BEFORE TOS (if I'm not mistaken). This Duras would have been a grandfather to the Duras in TNG.

I think Berman & Co. has lost direction and is grasping at straws on this. T'Pol's costume is supposed to be sexier next year, there's more combat, etc. They're trying to punch some life into it. I don't know if it will succeed.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #12
Artemis
Warrior

Then what was that whole thing about Riker testing her to be an officer? She had trouble with the final test because it required her to send someone to their death to save the ship.
I do remember the other captain telling her to get in uniform though.
She is a funny person in really life. She talked at the last Comic-con about Nemesis and was very entertaining. She even thanked all the fans for her house and car and everything else she has.
:colwar:
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #13
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

I saw her, too, a few years ago. Very nice lady with a bad, bad headcold that day.

The test had to do with command - she was working on becoming a bridge officer. She was a Lt. Commander, if I recall correctly, from the start, but Picard allowed her to wear non-reg clothing because she was counsellor. Jellico changed that when Picard went on that secret mission, and they kept her in uniform because of the positive response from the viewers.

That's what I remember, anyway.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #14
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I was one of those viewers that liked the uniform better....LOL

Gack! I can't believe that they are going to keep T-Pol a sex symbol...The Vulcans aren't into that......now if they want to tighten Archer's and Tripp's pants, I have no arguement about that....but I doubt they will do that for us gals......
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #15
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by emerita
......now if they want to tighten Archer's and Tripp's pants, I have no arguement about that....but I doubt they will do that for us gals......
Of course not, don't you know all scifi fans are teenage boys with no social life, at least that is what TPTB seem to think.
I'd rather see John Crichton in tight pants than Archer or Tripp.
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #16
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

OK.....you do have a point there... He is so yummy..... I wish everybody would realize that women between the ages of 20 an 55 are the ones most watching all of the shows out there, especially sci-fi........