Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old April 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #1
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default everwood

Galactica aired my senior year of high school. Until this past fall, no other series had ever left such an emotional mark on me, for many, many reasons which I've talked about elsewhere over the years and which I won't go into now. But there were other shows that tried:
1. Call to Glory--I thought this was a wonderful drama about the Kennedy administration and the early years of the test flight program (American Dreams doesn't compare). And I really like Craig T. Nelson. But this aired at a time when I was in college and working nights, and before I obtained a VCR, so I didn't get to see the entire series until it was rerun in syndication several years later. And at the time I was still in a bit of mourning over the short life of Galactica. So the series didn't affect me as much as it might have otherwise.
2. SeaQuest--A few of the episodes in the first season came close to "blowing me away," especially "Bad Water," my favorite episode of the series. And I've always liked Roy Scheider. But the other episodes were just okay, and I didn't like the second and third seasons nearly as much.
3. The Cape--Oh, this syndicated 1996 series came close! It remains to this day the most physically stunning and best-photographed TV series I have ever watched, and the theme music was beautiful. The actors were all very nice-looking, but none of them really snared my attention.
4. So what series has taken me over at present? It's kind of embarrassing. First of all, it's not a sci-fi or space show at all. It's a teen show on a network I've never watched before until now, although the reasons I'm enjoying it so much are not the reasons the teens adore it. It's "Everwood" on the WB. I watched its premiere, enjoyed it, and continued to watch it, but didn't realize until after the show had aired for two months that I was hopelessly hooked in a way I hadn't felt since high school. (I'm 42 now.) I know some of the reasons: It reminds me at times of "The Waltons," which I loved as a child; Tom Amandes steals every scene he is in; the music and scenery are beautiful. Why this show has affected me so, after so many years, is beyond me. I had honestly never expected such strong attachment to a series again in this lifetime.
But even though I feel this strongly about the series, I can laugh about it in ways I was never able to do with Galactica. I'm experiencing some of the same feelings about Everwood that I had with Galactica, but I am so glad I can cope with them better!
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I have to admit, I like it too. Treat Williams is very charismatic as a father who recently lost his wife and now has to deal with his troubled son. Toma Amandes is great as the town doctor who knows he's nowhere near as good as the brillant burned out surgeon Treat Willaims plays. I love watching these two actors in the same scenes.

Btw- Amandes was excellent in From the Earth to the Moon. I also enjoyed him as Elliot Ness in The Untouchables. I also thought he was a cool submarine captain in JAG.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #3
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

Default I also

Watch Everwood every Monday night. It is a family show that parents can watch with their children. And, surprisinly, it is not too pc.
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:09 PM   #4
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default mike erwin in hulk

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any lengthy discussion on either of the "Everwood" groups in which I participate about "Hulk." Mike Erwin, who plays Colin in "Everwood" also plays the young Bruce Banner in "Hulk." I am wondering what the rest of you thought of this movie, and his role in it. I don't have any plans to see the movie myself, because I've lost interest in seeing movies made from comic books.

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #5
Sorrento
Shuttle Pilot

Thumbs up

Yes I also feel the same way about this little show called Everwood, but diferent than you I like it because it deals with something similar to what I experienced a few years ago; it has a very powerful drama and for me its not that easy to watch. No other show out there is about something as serious as this one does, something new about what makes a dysfunctional family.

Treat Williams was a weird choice to cast for this show, if I was a producer I would have choosen somebody else... but right now I don't think anybody would have done a better job, at least not that easily. The rest of the cast works great too.

In times when there is no creativity left in the people in charge of what shows on TV, this series is a fine example of breaking the old "same show than 10 years ago" mold by making something completely new. Hopefully more series like this one will emerge in the future.

Now that the main issue in the series is gone: Ephram understand what his father is, what will happen next is probably going to be a disaster during the surgery... don't know how Dr. Brown will escape from this, and I want to know.

About Hulk, you probably would like it. Ang Lee made a great job, but the writer didn't in my opinion. Perhaps you should wait till its on DVD and watch it at home, after all who really wants to pay a lot to see Nick Nolte over doing his part.

Sorrento
Sorrento is offline   Reply With Quote