Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #1
Whitestar

Question Battlestar Galactica Continuation Movie

When I learned about Glen A. Larson and Tom DeSanto teaming up to develop a possible Battlestar Galactica continuation movie for the big screen, I must admit that I was quite excited and thrilled like everyone else. It would be interesting to know what had happen to all the characters that we have come to know and love during the show's first and only season. If this project comes to fruition, it will no doubt be a joyous occasion, however, there are some facts we have to face here about the possible motion picture.

Characters like Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, Sheba, and Jolly were excellent starfighter pilots, however, they are now much older, therefore, their reflexes will be slower, unless they've been keeping fit. In any case, I'm predicting that Apollo will be the new commander of the Galactica. While he will no doubt be featured very prominently in the film, I don't think we will ever see him fly a viper again. First of all, he's the senior officer on the bridge, which makes him far too important to be risking his life out there while engaging the Cylons in a space dog-fight. Can you imagine Commander Adama suddenly deciding to go fly a viper when he learns that the Galatica is low on pilots? Or perhaps he's doing this to reclaim his lost glory? I don't think so. Adama never did that and I don't expect Apollo to do so either. Ditto for Starbuck.

Speaking of Starbuck, I'm thinking he will become the new colonel and perhaps serve double duty as flight instructor (not surprising considering he's the best star-pilot in the entire fleet). In regards to Athena, Maren Jensen, the actress who played her has quit the acting business and is living somewhere in the midwest with two children. With that in mind, Larson and DeSanto have two possibilities: one, do the old fashion thing by mentioning in the story of Athena being killed during a Cylon attack (remember she was a certified pilot as well as a bridge officer), or two, hired a forty-something beautiful actress that bears a similar resemblance to Ms. Jensen but can also really act as well.

As for Boomer, Sheba, Jolly and the rest of the old pilots will probably become the new counsel of twelve, while Tigh is the new president of the colonies. But the real main characters will be the next generation of colonial viper pilots with Boxey as captain. Noah Hathaway who played Boxey is also out of the acting business. He now lives in Florida assembling custom made motorcycles. I think a recast is advisable here too.

So there you have it. I wish to point out that I have no idea what Larson and DeSanto have in mind, however, the theories I mentioned above is based purely on logic and intuition. What does everybody else thinks so far?

Whitestar
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

welcome whitestar

Some nice thinking there Apollo should be the commander of the fleet but in one draft that can be found at Cylon Alliance website has it ' that Boxey is the commander of the Galactica and Starbuck is his adviser as for Apollo we see him at the end on a Cylon home world as a Cylon after being Assimilated , which sounds a little star trekie to me.

I would like to see Noah Hathaway reprise the part of Boxey it would be intresting to see what he would do now with the part and should he be renamed a Troy as in Galactica 1980 or as Glen A. Larson and Tom DeSanto would rename him Orin i think (I like Orin myself) personally I would like them to have as many of the old cast as possable.
I see Starbuck not only as the second in command under Apollo but the wing commander I can't see him give up flying totally and acting as flight instructor along with Boomer and Sheba. IF they can get Maren Jensen back as Athena
she should be Apollo's second in commmand.

the my idea anyway
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #3
Antelope

I don't like the Desanto ideas for Boxey, Starbuck, and Apollo. I think the Hatch ideas are a bit better. Personally I'll take the characters at the start of Dark Exodus in the Colonial library above any Continuation proposed thus far.

If you want the Old Cast back as much as possible then Tigh is the new Commander. Those who want Apollo as the Commander as basically saying the character of Tigh as portrayed by Terry Carter was too light weight. If you can't have Tigh in command he needs to be dead because anything else makes him a failure or pushed out of the movie. If you want Apollo as Commander then kill Tigh in a blaze of glory early in the movie.

Apollo is the new XO and Starbuck is the commander of all viper squadrons. Let Starbuck fly...because it would be cool.

Make Boxey a viper squadron commander and a Captain. Leave his name alone. His name was Boxey. Last I heard in TOS it was not a nickname. If Larson misnamed him originally let's let it stand. For all we know Boxey is as common in colonial society as John is in ours.

Introduce a son or daughter for Starbuck and Cassie and another for Apollo and...Sheba. Make these two LTs.

Write Athena out of the script or have her as a widow of ...Omega.

Give Sheba a non-military role like a teacher after the birth of her kid. Since Apollo is already a widower once I don't want to see Sheba written out.
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Welcome to Colonial Fleets Whitestar!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 01:30 AM   #5
skycom

Default Galactica Commander Tigh....YES

Absolutely Colonel Tigh must be Commander now , and since Terry would welcome a decision like this why not? I agree with almost all you suggest, even to the point of if possible bringing Boxey back into the series.(forget the bikes awhile ). Absolutely not, write off Athena! She is a vital member and regular & should remain such. Children for Apollo/Sheba & Starbuck/Casseopia is a fantastic idea and will serve to forge a following from the very young group of today that the Production Companys look for. Wonderful Idea. It way too soon for Apollo to become Commander as we still have a very viable figure in Terry. I believe we can honor the memory of Adama & Baltar in imaginative ways, as well as Commander Cain, agree?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:30 AM   #6
Whitestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycom
Absolutely Colonel Tigh must be Commander now , and since Terry would welcome a decision like this why not? I agree with almost all you suggest, even to the point of if possible bringing Boxey back into the series.(forget the bikes awhile ). Absolutely not, write off Athena! She is a vital member and regular & should remain such. Children for Apollo/Sheba & Starbuck/Casseopia is a fantastic idea and will serve to forge a following from the very young group of today that the Production Companys look for.

I agree that Colonel Tigh should be commander but I have a feeling that won't be the case. However, I do think he will probably return as president of the colonies. I also like the idea of Apollo and Starbuck having kids and passing on their flying skills to them. In addition, the characters of Boxey and Athena should also come back, but since the actors are no longer in the profession, it seems highly unlikely to happen. That's why I suggested that the roles should be recast to actors who can actually act.

Whitestar
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM   #7
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Default actors for moive

comander marykate and ashley to get the kid vote beaten with big sticks and chased away by angry mob just joking start the show after bsg1980 duckin and coverin :cop: or was that just a bad dream launch when ready eron carter as starbuck hillery duff as cassie crissy stanmos ,,,,,,,,,,,<,kim possible.> as aethena jim carry as appolo gary coleman as baltar alf as muffy wake up kevin time to launch
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote