Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old December 26th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #1
jjrakman

Question What should I buy with my $50.00 Best Buy Card?

Looking for suggestions. Here's what I've been thinking so far.

The Firefly Boxed Set ( Never Seen it, is it any good?)

Heavy Metal

Pink Floyd: The Wall ( DO they have a Special Edition DVD?)

Scar Face Special Edition DVD

Then there was something that aired on A&E, that I think aired in the UK first, something that alsomt sounded like a combination of Carnivale and Alice in Wonderland, I think the name of it was something like Neverland, or Otherland? It is a 2 DVD set.

Any other suggestions?
Old December 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I don't know, JJ...

Sometimes with DVD's and CD's, I try to get something that I already have on VHS or vinyl. Other times, I get something that I don't have any copy of. Just depends on my mood at the time.

Another idea might be the X-Men movies. I think both I and II have been released to DVD.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

If you got a game machine there is always the BG video game.

I loved Firefly. But not everyone does. If you want I can upload a clip from it so you can get an idea of what it is like.

Basically its about a future in which mankind has expanded across the galaxy. But faster than technology. The outer planets where Firefly Serenity travels were settled by colonists who were dumped on terraformed planets with basically just cattle, horses, and seed. So the worlds tend to look like the American Wild West. Guns are the norm. Ray guns and such are only for very rich worlds.

The thing that really pushes Firefly is the writing. The characters are very well developed. This show is about the cast. To me they are a little like the BG cast. You got the Solicitor, the brave captain who's been through alot of pain, the faithful guy/girl who stands by him (boomer), and of course the ragtag ship running from the ridiculously powerful Alliance.

If you look carefully, you will see that Ron Moore took alot of his "unique" ideas from Firefly. Firefly handled the silence in space, the hand held camera, the gritty vision of the future and such much better.

You mostly just have to get past a opening song that really turns alot of people off.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #4
jjrakman

Already got the X-Men DVD's. Thanks for the description of Firefly, no need to bother downloading the clip, I think I'll give it a shot. If worse comes to worse I can always take it back.
Old December 26th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

hehe! Make sure you watch the Serenity two parter first!

I dunno what order they are on the dvds. But fox really screwed Firefly. Firefly made a damn good pilot. But FOX in their "great" wisdom canned the pilot and made them come up with a more "gunfight" episode and gave them a weekend to come up with an idea. So Train Robbery became the new pilot, and its a pretty weak episode.

Old December 26th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #6
jjrakman

Yeah I heard about that. Thanks for the tip.
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #7
Quoshara
Klingon Wolf Trainer

You better check to see if they will be returnable. Some places will not take back DVD's and CD's unless they are unopened... or evenly exchanged.
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:31 AM   #8
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

hey JJ, how much is Firefly going in the stores?

Old December 29th, 2003, 02:42 AM   #9
nightscape2112
Warrior

what i would spend the gift card on is the indiana jones complete collection. at best buy online it is 56.99 with free shipping but it is on back order. i am going to get it once the holidays are over.

if your looking for horror they have a box set for john carpenter and it has four movies on it they live, the thing, prince of darkness and village of the damned. its 40 bucks, you might be able to buy each movie for less than 40, might not save much with the box set unless there is a bonus area.

comedy, a good old classic that i laugh at every time i see it is dudley moore in arthur.

firefly is 40.99 at BB.com and has free shipping. i did not watch the show and i guess i did not give it enough of a chance. i think i watched two episodes of it. i have heard alot of good things about it.

they have some japan-anime that are cool. some are really high but "cowboy bebop" was around 25 bucks for some dvd's. they had others like ranma and slayers but those were above 100.

it all depends on what you are into and what you wanna spend the money on. the indiana jones box and the firefly box seem to be the best deals.

let us know what you bought.

have a good one,

nightscape

p.s., thomas firefly is 40.99 at bestbuy.com with free shipping. here is the url, http:/www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1324175
&skuid=6096681&type=product&cmp=%20%20

later
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden

Last edited by nightscape2112; December 29th, 2003 at 02:51 AM..
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #10
Bijou88

If I had a $50.00 gift certificate, I would buy the Andromeda season 1 boxed set. It is under $50.00 and has all the episodes plus tons of extra features. Originally, Andromeda was offered in 5 episode sets for about $25.00 a pop. This totaled $125.00 for the whole season! Now you can get it for less than half the original asking price. I wish greedy stinkers at Paramount would go this route for their Star Trek sets.
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #11
jjrakman

Well, I already received the Indiana Jones DVD set for Christmas. I'm glad I did, but I'm a little disappointed with the DVD's, they aren't as packed with extras as I thought they'd be. Not even audio commentary. So to me this means one thing:

When the 4th Indiana Jones movie comes out there will be a super duper special edition of the movies.

Thanks for the tip on Andromeda, but honestly, I just don't like that show. It's just not for me.

I ended up buying Firefly, of which I've so far seen the first three episodes and I really like it. And Heavy Metal, which I really love.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old December 29th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #12
Bijou88

Firefly and Heavy Metal is a great combo. I hope you enjoy them! I think you are right about the Indiana Jones set. Historically, Lucas has released multiple versions of his movies. First, there was the individual releases on VHS of the Star Wars trilogy. Then there was the the pan and scan boxed set of the trilogy followed by the wide screen version. Then there were the special editions. Basically Lucas went back to the well four times for basically the same product. You can be sure that there will be a super-duper deluxe boxed set for Indy in the future.
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #13
nightscape2112
Warrior

its been a long time since i saw heavy metal. the last time was in drug induced haze of youth. all i can remember from it was it was good to trip too, along with the wall.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #14
jjrakman

I know where your coming from Nightscape.

[img]alfred.gif[/img]