Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Default Spaceball - A new look

This is probably posted in the wrong forum...but here goes anyway.

First off, I'd like to acknowledge David Kerin for his inspiration for this project.

(If you don't know who David Kerin is...why not???)

His work on remastering the classic Battlestar Galactica series is legendary. One episode, however, caught my attention in particular: that was his work on the Galactica 1980 episode "The Return of Lt. Starbuck".

With judicious editing and some cgi work, he took a G1980 episode and made it better! Admittedly, he chose a good candidate, "Return" being the only decent episode in that series.

However....that got me to thinking.... Was it possible to save any other Galactica 1980 episodes?

The answer, of course, is No. But can they be made more tolerable? Truthfully, each episode did have a gem of a good idea behind it. They were merely corrupted by paperboy salary budgets and an innane studio directive that the show be more "kid friendly". But can the episodes be improved?

To that end, I present this work: Spaceball - The Fan Edit Version.

Mind you, I have no cgi skill, and am not a great video editor. So this should be considered with a grain of proverbial salt. And some scenes just were not meant to be spliced. Nevertheless, I did my best to nip and tuck with minimal visual impact.

For this episode, I did three things:

1) Inane dialogue reduced. Sorry, couldn't remove it all. Troy and that Danny Bonaduce wannabe got the worst of it, so they ended up being the most heavily edited.

2) The Super Scouts de-superized. I acknowledge that the first season did its nod to children via Boxey, so I did leave in some of their advanced knowledge and skill, but no longer will they be able to run faster than a speeding bullet or leap tall buildings in a single bound.

3) Dr. Zee eliminated. With all due respect to Cousin Oliver and his friend, there simply is no excuse for this character. His scenes in Spaceball were mostly superfluous, though he does provide the explanation as to why no one recognizes Xavier. I couldn't figure a way around that, so the answer is left unsaid.

Anyway, I present this work for academic discussion and debate. What do you think? Is it an improvement? Does it do a disservice?

The programme can be found here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1123428...l_fan_edit.wmv

I ask one thing: Download only if you have a legitimate copy of this episode, either on DVD or recorded of the television. Larson et al deserve their royalties, and this is not an attempt to deprive them of that. This is meant for discussion only.
Lighthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:05 PM   #2
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Re: Spaceball - A new look

Cool... downloading now! And sadly I do own a legitimate copy of the episodes from G1980. I'm that much of a completists for the Battlestar collection.

And I do agree... there were snippets of that show that were not bad. Sadly the bad was SO BAD that it ruined it all. On its own it could have been Battlestar-lite... but instead it just became a sad embarrassment. I've been playing with an idea too on how to salvage stuff from G1980, but still not sure how well it can be done.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post
And sadly I do own a legitimate copy of the episodes from G1980.
I do too.

In fact, I'll take it a step further. I own every copy of the RM version as well, though I admit that most were simply recorded off the telly.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:26 AM   #4
JLHurley
Warrior

They were merely corrupted by paperboy salary budgets and an innane studio directive that the show be more "kid friendly".

"Paperboy salary budget"! Hilarious and spot on.
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

I've started work on Galactica Discovers Earth. Getting rid of Zee is proving to be a bit of a challenge....
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #6
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Awesome! I'm sorry to say I haven't had a chance to watch through Spaceball yet. Its on my desktop waiting for me. Been busy with necessary things, but things should be lightening up.
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Been busy with necessary things, but things should be lightening up.
"Necessary things..." You mean Battlestar Galactica things, right?
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Actually I've been playing around with a Galactica project for fun that I would love to get more time on. Maybe we can shift that up to necessary.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Actually I've been playing around with a Galactica project for fun that I would love to get more time on. Maybe we can shift that up to necessary.
You're working on a Battlestar Galactica project? Yeah, I think we can classify that as "necessary" or perhaps "vital".

I am just finishing up the destruction of LA for Galactica Discovers Earth. You actually get to see the Galactica destroyed. Remember...it's just a simulation.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #10
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Sweet! I'm trying to think how that's done (Galactica destroyed), but I'd rather be surprised. Can't wait!!!

Seems Galactica 1980 must be on the minds for some reason. I'm trying a bit of a re-edit myself, but its a bit more of a rewrite. Trying to form a different story out of what is there. I think its semi-possible, but trying to find lines that you need to try and bridge the story gap can be difficult. I think it will be a bit like my Battlestar/Space 1999 crossover edit. You have to suspend a bit to follow the revised story taking place. We'll see.

And as a preview, Zee is still in it, but he may have a redeeming moment. At least I hope.

And... going from bearded Adama to non-bearded Adama. Hmmmm.
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Sweet! I'm trying to think how that's done (Galactica destroyed), but I'd rather be surprised. Can't wait!!!
I admit that I am borrowing (read: stealing) some of your cgi. But the sequence looks good...at least I think so.

Quote:
but trying to find lines that you need to try and bridge the story gap can be difficult.
Yeah, this can be really difficult. For one sequence, I had to compromise and just record a new line. There was no way around it. Everything else is working so far.

Quote:
And as a preview, Zee is still in it

Quote:
but he may have a redeeming moment. At least I hope.
My curiosity is definitely piqued.

Quote:
And... going from bearded Adama to non-bearded Adama. Hmmmm.
Oh yeah, that's a tough one. Especially since Adama doesn't appear very often outside the Chamber of Horrors (aka Dr. Zee's room).
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #12
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Cool! If anything from my edits can help feel free to use them.

And for mine I too went to recording some new lines to try and bridge a story out of the stuff. A bit of a narration here and there, and a bridge officer voice to fill in certain things here and there. And lots of Adama looking tense and stern. Had to reuse some shots of him here and there.

Over in the Artwork In Progress section I did upload a pic of a quick Zee lightship that will get some use. http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=18227

EDIT... I think that's the most I used the phrase "here and there" in any post.
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Cool! If anything from my edits can help feel free to use them.
Thanks. Now I won't feel so guilty.

Quote:
And lots of Adama looking tense and stern.
Yeah, I've had to resort to that. Zee gives so much pertinent information in Galactica Discovers Earth, editing him out of that big meeting was a butcher job.

Quote:
Over in the Artwork In Progress section I did upload a pic of a quick Zee lightship that will get some use. http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=18227
Very nice! Wish I had artistic talent.

Is it just me or does Zee's ship in the show remind anyone else of the alien ship from Greatest American Hero?
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:19 AM   #14
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Watching the edit now. Thankyou for cutting out the scouts taking apart the tv camera!!!!! The scouts are so painful to watch, but this at least eases the pain.

One other thing that always annoyed me with G1980 was Jamie Hamilton. Not sure it it is how the character was written or how Robyn Douglas played her, but to me she's just bad. I don't mind the military guy investigating though... he works pretty well.

And why did they choose that German accent for Lt. Nash? How did that come through the casting process?!
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:35 AM   #15
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

That actually does make the episode much better. Its still Galactica 1980, but its a better Galactica 1980. Good job on taking down all the stupid Super-Scout special powers. And I liked the quick cuts in the game to get around their "powers" being used. Gave it a nice fast pacing to go with the game.

I think I would have liked the series better (like being a questionable word) if they stayed with the time travel idea set up (and abandoned) in the opening episodes. Adding the Super-Scouts was one of the worst things ever done to television!
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Thankyou for cutting out the scouts taking apart the tv camera!!!!! The scouts are so painful to watch, but this at least eases the pain.
It's that older kid who talks like an encyclopaedia who ruins it. Starla is actually really very charming.

Quote:
One other thing that always annoyed me with G1980 was Jamie Hamilton. Not sure it it is how the character was written or how Robyn Douglas played her, but to me she's just bad.
They definitely needed an Earth person to interact with, so I can see the need for Jamie. Plus once you get her out of those frumpy clothes and into a Colonial uniform, she's actually quite hot! I do wish they used Mike Brady more often. He was one of the better characters and actors.

Quote:
And why did they choose that German accent for Lt. Nash? How did that come through the casting process?!
I think that's because the original Xaviar had an accent, though why he had an accent I don't know.

Quote:
That actually does make the episode much better. Its still Galactica 1980, but its a better Galactica 1980.
Coming from you, I consider that high praise indeed. It doesn't come anywhere near the work you did for the first season, but I'll take it.

Quote:
I think I would have liked the series better (like being a questionable word) if they stayed with the time travel idea set up (and abandoned) in the opening episodes.
I wouldn't have wanted to see a time-travel episode every week, which was the original plan. But more would have been nice. Perhaps that was what the lost Day They Kidnapped Cleopatra was about.

Quote:
Adding the Super-Scouts was one of the worst things ever done to television!
Given the network directive of being more kid-friendly, I get the addition of the scouts. But giving them super powers? Bad bad bad. It turned Galactica into a farce. Couple that with the wussification of Adam cowing down to Zee and it's a disaster in the making.

Pity. As I said before, the episodes themselves do have good ideas behind them.

Last edited by Lighthope; March 31st, 2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Can't type
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

I've actually finished work on Galactica Discovers Earth, but am having trouble uploading it as my ISP really really blows. Patience.
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Okay, I suck, I know.

I finished Galactica Discovers Earth, but then found some frame editing errors. Then the source file got corrupted and I had to redo about 2/3s of the episode.

But it's finished finally (again!) and I will be uploading it as soon as I can.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Chivalry is dead. It was murdered by feminism.
Old July 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post

Pearls of Wisdom - Chivalry is dead. It was murdered by feminism.
Excellent, Light. Oh so true.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #20
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Very cool!!!!! Excited to see what you did with it. I have to say there are parts of Galactica Discovers Earth, that if they followed, would have been a better show. Still massively different from the original, but the time traveling motif could have made for some interesting stories. But then they instantly dropped that for space kids. Ah you have to love network execs deciding the creative direction of a series.

Where are you uploading too? Maybe its easier to let me know in a PM.

Cool cool cool!
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

I've started uploading this episode to YouTube. Part one of four is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZYB29ZAAg

Pearls of Wisdom - Commandment III: You shall not take the name of God in vain.
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Part two: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLCmCeN0w8

Sorry this is taking so long. My bad internet is making this particualrly difficult. Blame Ecliptixnet, my internet "provider" -- if you can call them that.
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Senmut
Strike Leader

Obviously, the Cylons are interfering.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #24
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Finally.

Part three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gtzegz5B5o
Part four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNOd_djya6o