Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #1
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Just call me impulsive....

Hey everyone -

I had to go to work for a few hours on this gray and cool Saturday morning. I was going to be on my own for a few hours, so I took my BSG Anthology CD set that I got for Christmas to keep me company. I was slogging away on my PC and listening to the music and I was thinking about how well a lot of the themes from BSG have held up over 25 years.

One of the impulses I usually get is when I really like something, I wish that I could tell those that were resposible for it how much I appreciate their contribution and what it means to me. I thought that I would like to tell Stu Phillips how much I liked and appreciated the great music that he did for BSG & Buck Rogers 20-odd years ago. I looked Stu's name up on the internet and found his website. There was an e-mail link and so I started typing away.... It was your basic appreciation kind of letter and I went on to say that I had each of the different releases of the BSG soundtrack and liked them all for various reasons. I even went as far to point out some of the tempo differences in the pieces he conducted in 1998 with the Scottish National Symphony Orchestra.

I sent the e-mail off and really didn't think much more about it, other than I hoped he would get it and liked what I had to say - I felt like I accomplished what I had set out to do. About an hour later, an e-mail notification pops up on my screen and it was from Stu Phillips and he was responding to my e-mail I had sent earlier this morning! I was so jazzed that he took the time to write back....that just made my day! He said that he appreciated the kind words I had sent and was impressed that I noticed the tempo differences in the 1998 version. He went on to comment that the reason for those differences was without a visual cues for the music, it gave him room to "play" with the material a bit.

He also told me about a convention cominig up that was being held near Tacoma, WA around the end of March:

Northwest Sci-Fi Convention & Collector Show

Stu told me that if I could make it up there, that he would be happy to meet me and talk about the music a bit more. He mentioned that Dirk Benedict, Gil Gerard and Erin Gray would also be there as well.

I was so impressed by this man....what a nice guy! I'm very inclined to go buy his book and take it up there so he can sign it in person! I could get Dirk to sign my copies of his books while I am at it..... The con fees were only 8 bucks a day and there is a "Dinner With the Stars" that is only 30 bucks also. There's plenty of time for me to get the finances sorted - I think I'm gonna do it!

I just thought that I would share my story with everyone...

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Bryan
________
Housewives Cam
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

That is absolutely way cool Bryan! To think that you could get a personal mail (and so quickly) from such a famous and talented person, that's just amazing. I am dying to get the music CD, hopefully I will sometime soon. Almost got it for Christmas but we couldn't find it at the major stores for some reason (sold out?).

Please say hi from all of us to him at the WA con if you go. And please emphasize how very much his work is loved by so many people.

Stu Phillips truly put the "epic' in The Complete Epic Series...

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Stu is really nice. (OK, if there is a cast member/behind the scenes person that isn't nice to fans, I've not met them yet). Coolness that you got to email with him.

Feel free to put a bit about the con in the news section if you have the dates.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Stu is one of the nicest people to talk to. I have e-mailed him on several occasions and he was even nice enough to sign one of the online petitions I started. I also have the anthology set. It was worth every penny I paid for it.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Feel free to put a bit about the con in the news section if you have the dates.
Julie -

I did as you suggested and posted the convention in the News section, but I noticed that the dates are exactly the same as the BSG convention in Chicago. I guess that explains why Dirk & Stu won't be in Chicago that weekend...

Anyway, at least if there are those on the West Coast that can't make it to Chicago, then maybe Tacoma, WA might be a viable alternative.

Bryan
________
BOX VAPORIZERS
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

That's fantastic Bryan! I wish I could go with you and
dump hubby and the kids for a night. OH well .......
hope springs eternal.

Have fun!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #7
bsg1fan1975
Major

that is totally cool!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #8
spot778

Awesome, I would have lept out of my chair.
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #9
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Me too. By the way Spot, welcome to the club
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote