Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

View Poll Results: What did you think of Revenge of the Sith?
*****--The best SW movie EVER!!! 9 25.00%
****--Frackin' great! And George finally got most of it right this time! 18 50.00%
***--Very enjoyable, but still flawed in many areas. 5 13.89%
**--Typical Star Wars prequel fare...only mildly impressed 4 11.11%
*--Bantha poodoo. George has lost his touch. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20th, 2005, 02:49 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up Star Wars Episode III -What did you think?

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

All I can say is: By George, I think he's done it!!!

Officially my favorite Star Wars film!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

All I can say is: By George, I think he's done it!!!

Officially my favorite Star Wars film!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
I'm right there with you my friend.......This one is my favorite too
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #3
TopGun
Strike Leader

I LOVE it, not my Fav, ESB still holds that spot, but Def my 2nd fav
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #4
braxiss
Major

i can't say it was a good film, and i can't say it was a bad film, all i can say is that it was interesting
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss
i can't say it was a good film, and i can't say it was a bad film, all i can say is that it was interesting

I find your lack of faith disturbing. j/k.

As with any movie, this film is not gonna please everyone. But I do have to say, George gave it a good go this time.

Hell, I even had a dream about meeting George just last night. He comes in , and he says: "Well, there ya go. You all got what you wanted. A darker story, lots of space battles, and lightsaber fights...and Darth Vader. I hope you're happy."

Very weird dream.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #6
TopGun
Strike Leader

All dreams are weird, in ther own ways
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #7
braxiss
Major

i think the fact that for over twenty years we all knew how the story ended, and then to see it play out was what was interesting. it like reaeding a mystery novel and knowing how did it after the second page.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #8
TopGun
Strike Leader

Or reading a Book, that a movie is based on before seeing the movie. Sometimes it's unavoidable since the book may have came out years before the movie
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #9
julix
Bad Email Address

I loved it......it is all good!!! Don't know if it is my all time favorite.....I have to say ANH is cause it was the start. I will never forget how I felt watching it for the first time.........
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:12 AM   #10
TopGun
Strike Leader

I would say that Sith is my fav in terms of space battles, followed by Jedi and then Hope
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:04 AM   #11
Haveke

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix
I loved it......it is all good!!! Don't know if it is my all time favorite.....I have to say ANH is cause it was the start. I will never forget how I felt watching it for the first time.........

EXCELLENT!!!
EXCELLENT
!!!Star Wars Done Old School: Lucas managed to Recapture the Same Movie Magic he had with the Orginal Episode IV A NEW HOPE.

Filling in all the Gaps was Definately a Challenge, But Without Missing a Step... it all Finally Clicks Right into Place!

How theRepublic Becomes Corrupt... How Palaptine Makes His Rise to Power... the Clone Wars... the Fall of Anakin Skywalker, the Extermination of the Jedi Knights... Seeing How Yoda & Obi-Wan go Into Exile...

The Rise of The Evil Galactic Empire...

Simply Put... This is One of those Movies You Will Want to See Over & Over Again... When it Comes out on Video/DVD, a Must Have for Anyone Who Loves Star Wars.

Hope Everone Enjoyed the Movie as Much as I Did!!

May The FORCE Be With You...

Jay

Always Stay With Your Wingman

Hey, This Kid Don't Sign On for No Oneway Mission...We're Coming Back!

See You On the Flight Deck:
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:07 AM   #12
TopGun
Strike Leader

Can't wait for the DVD, there were apparently loads of Scenes cut, that HAVE to be put into the DVD
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:08 AM   #13
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Muffit

The fight scenes and fx was great, but did the movie rely on it too much?

Spoiler
I found it interesting that Palpatine told the Sith story about Darth Plagueis(sp?) and how he used the powers of the dark side, maybe more for good. It almost made the Sith seem to be practicing powers that the Jedi considered unnatural and fueled by passion rather than being true evil. Palpatine seemed to be the apprentice that killed Darth Plagueis(sp?) in his sleep after learning everything and then used those powers to gain absolute political power and for evil purposes. Quite a contradiction from the previous movies where the Sith represented pure evil and the dark side could not be used for good.

Lucas would have to do another movie to explain Darth Vader/Anakin's conversion to true evil besides just hate and betrayal. He did end up killing Padme, if not directly and why didn't he see even the Sith couldn't prevent her death? And why he did not try to obtain/use/learn all the powers of the dark force. Or maybe he wanted to leave Darth Vader seen as a conflicted character so his redemption in episode 6 would make more sense than just a father saving his son. Could Palpatine have intentionally withheld teaching him everything since he did say Anakin was more even powerful than he was. Why would the Sith be more afraid of losing their powers?

General Grievous, to me, seemed too easy to defeat by just one Jedi...using a blaster no less after opening up his armor by hand.

Plenty of questions asked and plotholes discussed at the Star Wars forum.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:41 AM   #14
TopGun
Strike Leader

Lucas will proably use the TV Series set between ROTS and ANH to explain things that need to be explained.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM   #15
sropi

He did it! I ahve to say PM and AotC was a big disappointment for me, so i didn't expect much from this one. Then it came and steamrolled me over!
Only one minor thing: He could have spent some more time with the turning of Anakin.
Spoiler
His love for Padme was the leverage which Palpatine used, along with his fear of losing her. The death of Vendu was the critical point, and the murder of the Younglings locked him irreversibly on that path. Thats a lot to swallow and in too little time, even for the viewer, so i consider this only a minor error in pacing.

Had the two previous movies lived up to this standard...
(then this would have to be even better)

Old May 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM   #16
Haveke

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
The fight scenes and fx was great, but did the movie rely on it too much?

Spoiler
I found it interesting that Palpatine told the Sith story about Darth Plagueis(sp?) and how he used the powers of the dark side, maybe more for good. It almost made the Sith seem to be practicing powers that the Jedi considered unnatural and fueled by passion rather than being true evil. Palpatine seemed to be the apprentice that killed Darth Plagueis(sp?) in his sleep after learning everything and then used those powers to gain absolute political power and for evil purposes. Quite a contradiction from the previous movies where the Sith represented pure evil and the dark side could not be used for good.

Lucas would have to do another movie to explain Darth Vader/Anakin's conversion to true evil besides just hate and betrayal. He did end up killing Padme, if not directly and why didn't he see even the Sith couldn't prevent her death? And why he did not try to obtain/use/learn all the powers of the dark force. Or maybe he wanted to leave Darth Vader seen as a conflicted character so his redemption in episode 6 would make more sense than just a father saving his son. Could Palpatine have intentionally withheld teaching him everything since he did say Anakin was more even powerful than he was. Why would the Sith be more afraid of losing their powers?

General Grievous, to me, seemed too easy to defeat by just one Jedi...using a blaster no less after opening up his armor by hand.

Plenty of questions asked and plotholes discussed at the Star Wars forum.

Once Again, You've Given Us Something to Think About... However Might I Suggest for Anyone Wishing to Find More Info on the Sith,Try to Locate & Read Dark Horse Comics Epic: TALES OF THE JEDI ... Miniseries/Graphic Novels... they Go Into Far Greater Detail with Explaination of Who/What the Sith Were.

Spoiler
Learn the True Orgins of the Sith... How they Discovered the Old Republic... How they Waged War Amongst Themselves, and Finally... How They Came Forth During a Dark Time for the Old Republic: The SITH WARS ... With the Threat to Conquer the Very Galaxy... (Enough to Give Any Star Wars Fan Something to Think About) And BTW... Dark Horse is Part of The Official Star Wars Universe... Got Total Bleaasing From Lucas...

May The FORCE Be With You...

Jay :
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:07 PM   #17
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveke
Once Again, You've Given Us Something to Think About... However Might I Suggest for Anyone Wishing to Find More Info on the Sith,Try to Locate & Read Dark Horse Comics Epic: TALES OF THE JEDI ... Miniseries/Graphic Novels... they Go Into Far Greater Detail with Explaination of Who/What the Sith Were.
That's one of the criticisms of Luca's story telling. He often leaves large gaps and doesn't properly setup the backstory. Some people speculate it's intentional so he can sell more books and toys. A few minutes dedicated to the telling of the Sith History/background and why there "can only be two" instead of an order like the Jedi should have been told instead of having to buy the books to explain it all. Grevious had no backstory unless you saw the SW's Clone Wars or read the books/comics. In the book, Boga was a noble animal (and its sad what happens to her), but in the movie she was just some random animal Obi-Wan rides.

A Sith Lord is supposed to be more powerful than any one Jedi Master, even Yoda. But in the SW3...
Spoiler
The fight between Yoda and Darth Sidious was pretty even and many fans questioned Yoda's withdrawl from the fight. "It was like Yoda decided to take his toys and go home." It would be different if somebody showed up and the odds were against him, but there were only the 2 of them in the Senate chamber.

Then you have Obi-Wan not finishing Anakin, even as a mercy killing for a former friend and apprentice. Even though Obi-Wan said he couldn't kill Anakin, why would he want to see him suffer? One would expect that from a Sith Lord, to enjoy watching the suffering and last moments, only the gloating is missing. In ANH, Obi-Wan says to Luke " your father wanted you to have his light saber" but between the "I hate you" screamings, nobody recalls Anakin saying, by the way, give my light saber to my son that I don't know I have yet....lol...j/k. But it was a nice nod to ANH to see Obi-Wan pick up the Anakin's light saber.

Yes the visuals are stunning and captivating, but some feel they seemed more geared to a tie-in to a video game. Plus the film dumbed down Padme and the dialogue often generated more laughs and groans, or was that intended? How many times does Lucas have to put in "I have a bad feeling about this" in his movies? Or robots saying "Owwww" before dieing? R2D2 has a lot more features/abilities than we have seen in previous movies (what happened to them?), but didn't seem to use them when it was really needed, like not using the jet pack/thrusters (or did he run out of fuel?) when the ship tilted and R2 was sliding down the floor. At the Star Wars forum, fans are a bit more critical but still enjoy the film and give it a thumbs up.

It is Lucas' creation so he could do anything he wants despite the fans wishes and criticisms. Lucas often said the fans of the original trilogy are 30+ and the fans of the prequels are younger than that. So he is successful in attracting a new generation of fans to Star Wars, but some feel he abandoned the concepts of the original trilogy that made those films so memorable and the characters so likeable in favor of showing off technology.

Old May 21st, 2005, 07:47 PM   #18
Haveke

Exclamation

Quote:
That's one of the criticisms of Luca's story telling. He often leaves large gaps and doesn't properly setup the backstory. Some people speculate it's intentional so he can sell more books and toys. A few minutes dedicated to the telling of the Sith History/background and why there "can only be two" instead of an order like the Jedi should have been told instead of having to buy the books to explain it all. Grevious had no backstory unless you saw the SW's Clone Wars or read the books/comics. In the book, Boga was a noble animal (and its sad what happens to her), but in the movie she was just some random animal Obi-Wan rides.

A Sith Lord is supposed to be more powerful than any one Jedi Master, even Yoda. But in the SW3...
Spoiler
The fight between Yoda and Darth Sidious was pretty even and many fans questioned Yoda's withdrawl from the fight. "It was like Yoda decided to take his toys and go home." It would be different if somebody showed up and the odds were against him, but there were only the 2 of them in the Senate chamber.

Then you have Obi-Wan not finishing Anakin, even as a mercy killing for a former friend and apprentice. Even though Obi-Wan said he couldn't kill Anakin, why would he want to see him suffer? One would expect that from a Sith Lord, to enjoy watching the suffering and last moments, only the gloating is missing. In ANH, Obi-Wan says to Luke " your father wanted you to have his light saber" but between the "I hate you" screamings, nobody recalls Anakin saying, by the way, give my light saber to my son that I don't know I have yet....lol...j/k. But it was a nice nod to ANH to see Obi-Wan pick up the Anakin's light saber.

Yes the visuals are stunning and captivating, but some feel they seemed more geared to a tie-in to a video game. Plus the film dumbed down Padme and the dialogue often generated more laughs and groans, or was that intended? How many times does Lucas have to put in "I have a bad feeling about this" in his movies? Or robots saying "Owwww" before dieing? R2D2 has a lot more features/abilities than we have seen in previous movies (what happened to them?), but didn't seem to use them when it was really needed, like not using the jet pack/thrusters (or did he run out of fuel?) when the ship tilted and R2 was sliding down the floor. At the Star Wars forum, fans are a bit more critical but still enjoy the film and give it a thumbs up.

It is Lucas' creation so he could do anything he wants despite the fans wishes and criticisms. Lucas often said the fans of the original trilogy are 30+ and the fans of the prequels are younger than that. So he is successful in attracting a new generation of fans to Star Wars, but some feel he abandoned the concepts of the original trilogy that made those films so memorable and the characters so likeable in favor of showing off technology.

Agreed... I've Had Very Detailed Discussions with a Friend of Mine about the Star Wars Sith "Only Two at a Time" (IMHO Sith Lords Don't Play Well With Others) Count Ducoo Had No Ambition: No Driving Force (No Pun Intended) He felt He Had Learned all the Ways of the Jedi, and Got "Lazy"... IMHO, Being a Sith Lord is Kinda Like Being a Starting Running Back in the NFL... Your Job is Only Secure so Long as You are Able to Fight Off All Others Who Might Threaten You.

Spoiler
From What I've Seen & Read, the Sith Fought Amongst Themselves Constantly... Perhaps a Thousand or More Years... there is a Tales Of The Jedi Sourcebook Available (For the Old West End Star Wars Role Playing Game System) that Gives a List of Jedi & Sith Powers... FORCE Powers that were Lost Because of all the Wars.

Okay, From Reading the Tales of the Jedi Graphic Novels, Sourcebook & Also Later Jedi Academy Story, We Learn that there Was a Sith Temple on Yavin IV. Ok, Luke had to Destroy the Dark FORCE Ghost of Xzar'kun (sp?) well... According to the Graphic Novels Tales Of The Jedi, he was the first Human to be Granted Status of Lord of the Sith. (Kinda Scary... Know What I Mean?)

I agree that it Seems like Everything is Geared towards Selling Star Wars The Video Games... I Have maybe 3 Video Games Installed on My Computer, and I've Only Really Played One... (Mission Risk)

Spoiler
Some Alien Species are Immune to the FORCE... Others are Not... Hmmm... What I really enjoyed about The Tales Of The Jedi Graphic Novels are: it Shows for the First time that Species other than Human and Yoda can Be Force Users, and Masters of the FORCE.

Sith Artifacts are Totally Wicked!! Emperor Palaptine collected as Mush as he could & Hid them in an Underground Vault at the Imperial Palace. Now, Acording to the Books... some of these Artifacts Can Bestow upon its wearer Certain Sith Powers...

When its All Said & Donel, I Would Give Lucas an A++ on Revenge Of The Sith

See You On the Flight Deck

Always Stay With Your Wingman

Old May 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM   #19
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

WTF?

Some people feel this was the "Worst part of the Movie"

Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:40 AM   #20
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Some people feel this was the "Worst part of the Movie"

I have to admit, it did feel a bit....lacking. But I was still blown away by the nature of the matter.

Martok2112
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:48 AM   #21
TopGun
Strike Leader

I'm half way through Heir to the Empire (the 1st book in the Thrawn Trilogy), that book explains why Yoda fled to Dagobah and why he was able to say hidden
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #22
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I liked the movie very much. I have not said "WOW" as much in the past 20 years as I did yesterday during and after watching EpIII...

That being said, I will not go so far as to say it's my favorite SW movie. That honor still belongs to the original and even still followed by Empire. But ROTS will probably take it's place on my list as 3rd overall.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #23
bsg1fan1975
Major

I loved it. At least there was not much of JarJar in it. Got to hating that character. I laughed, cried and booed and hissed, which is something that you do with Star Wars and its characters!

TopGun, The Thrawn Series really gets good with The Last Command!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #24
TopGun
Strike Leader

Thanks BSG, I look forward to reading Last Command
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #25
bsg1fan1975
Major

your welcome.

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #26
Ethan
Bad Email Address

Default Drama

At this point, I have seen Ep. III twice now. I loved it. I am not usually into dark stories, but this one is an exception.

The first time I saw the movie, it left me sad . . . I guess when it comes to sci fi, I like some of the drama as well as the tech. My wife (filipina) is the same when it comes to her drama shows on The Filipino Channel. I prefer my drama in sci fi.

The tech/fight scenes were good and I admire Artoo more now than ever.

I was very entertained. Kudos to Lucas.

Ethan

Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #27
TopGun
Strike Leader

"You stupid little Astro Droid"
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #28
bsg1fan1975
Major

That's what I like about the Star Wars movies, they draw you in and do not let go.

Old May 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #29
TopGun
Strike Leader

True, so true
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #30
julix
Bad Email Address

I think it stays with you, it did for me.
julix is offline   Reply With Quote