Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old December 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #1
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Default Buck Rogers Bedroom Scene?

Hey y'all.

I was just going through my Buck Rogers DVD set and remembered a scene where Buck is being introduced to his new apartment by Dr. Theopolis and Twiki. I couldn't find the scene on the DVD anywhere. It had to have occurred just after the first premier movie, but it doesn't appear in the episode "planet of theslave girls".

I recall Theopolis showing him the bed and saying, "All you have to do is say, I would like to go to bed." and Buck says "Okay... I would like to go to bed" and the bed slides out from the wall and the mattress inflates and he lays down. In moments he is out cold. That's about all I can definitely recall.. .other than where Theo shows him the music center and he asks it to play some rock & roll or somthing and realizes that it's going to be difficult to get the music he wants to hear out of the thing.

Anybody have any info about this scene and where or when I might have seen it? Probably just after the premier or just before the first regular episode, but can somebody at least confirm that I ain't crazy?

-Gordon
Old December 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #2
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Hey y'all.

I was just going through my Buck Rogers DVD set and remembered a scene where Buck is being introduced to his new apartment by Dr. Theopolis and Twiki. I couldn't find the scene on the DVD anywhere. It had to have occurred just after the first premier movie, but it doesn't appear in the episode "planet of theslave girls".

I recall Theopolis showing him the bed and saying, "All you have to do is say, I would like to go to bed." and Buck says "Okay... I would like to go to bed" and the bed slides out from the wall and the mattress inflates and he lays down. In moments he is out cold. That's about all I can definitely recall.. .other than where Theo shows him the music center and he asks it to play some rock & roll or somthing and realizes that it's going to be difficult to get the music he wants to hear out of the thing.

Anybody have any info about this scene and where or when I might have seen it? Probably just after the premier or just before the first regular episode, but can somebody at least confirm that I ain't crazy?

-Gordon
The pilot episode of the show was a edited version of the movie, this is where that was shown. On the DVD they only have the movie and not the first episode. All I have to say is 'Thanks NBC/U'.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #3
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Okay... good. So at least I aint crazy.

I have a copy of the theatrical release that I bought from Gil Gerard at a convention. I didn't have the time to make a complete survey comparison of that one and the one on the DVD set, so I don't know if there are any big differences. The major difference is that the one I bought from Gil is obviously a couple of generations off the source... its pretty darned fuzzy. But that's okay. He autographed it for me and was nice enough to entertain my questions about the show for 15 minutes. I don't mind. He's a really nice guy.

I know people talk about Galactica being a "guilty pleasure", but for me Buck Rogers fits that description more accurately. The production values on BR were atrocious at times. I mean beyond the generally low quality of special effects (which later on were lifted straight out of TOS Trek). Seeing the film crew reflected in shiny props, scenes that were unabashedly "mirror flipped" in post production with no heed to detail placement, and the unfortunate scene where Twiki has his little silver rubber skirt on backwards! To name a few.

But who cares? I read a description online that was appropriate. The author said that Buck Rogers was like Star Wars if you got rid of the whiny farm boy and just let Han Solo be the hero. Wouldn't THAT have been a thing??

-Gordon

Now that that's settled, two of my childhood memories are validated. the Buck Rogers bedroom scene and the existence of SAM the ROBOT of Sesame Street... you can catch him on the DVD set "Sesame Street: OLD SCHOOL".
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

I remember the scene as you said ,, I had forgotten that

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I remember the scene too, especially not being able to get the music gizmo to play rock.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #6
Galactifan
Warrior

3 minutes and 22 seconds into this clip has the bedroom scene you are seeking...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2336QISZUkE
Galactifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #7
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

The DVD movie doesn't have the tv edit's final scene of Buck decorating his apartment and talking to his friends either. The movie just ends with him in the back of Wilma's fighter with Twiki on his lap. I guess that scene was added for the series because they asked him to work for them setting the stage for the next eps.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Buck Rogers Bedroom Scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post

Laurette is fully cloth (damn)

Yes. Such are the crosses we have to bear!

I also liked the AL reminisce, where she tells how they snapped Apollo's triad shorts.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote