Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old March 21st, 2004, 01:12 PM   #1
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default what sci-fi/fantasy books are you reading?

What science fiction or fantasy novels are you currently reading, or have you read recently?
I am reading "Liverpool Fantasy," by Larry Kirwan, copyright 2003. It's an alternative/what-if history novel whose premise is that the Beatles broke up in 1962. It's now 1987 and they decided to get together again. John is still alive but is pretty much a street bum, and the other three aren't much better off. Neither is England herself. Some of the book is amusing in places, and the occasional Beatles tune references will make you laugh out loud.
Mary
P.S. Part of the reason I am asking is that I moderate a sci-fi fantasy book discussion group at the local Borders, and am always looking for suggestions for novels to read. Please don't throw darts at me for saying this, but we try to avoid Lord of the Ring-type novels because I'm sick of reading so many of them; likewise, I'm tired of Arthurian adaptations; Harry Turtledove books take too long to read; and we don't do novelizations based on TV shows or movies. But if you have anything else that has made an impression on you, please tell us about it.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Rowan
On Vacation...

Love this thread idea!
I just finished "the other wind" by Ursula K. Le Guin (whom I met once and got her to sign my copy of "the disspossed" which is my all time favorite book by her and one of my top 50 books in my life ) I'm a HUGE fan of hers!!!
it's a continuation of her Earthsea triology the only problem I had was Ged being old and left out of the action. It had a slow build up it never gets gripping or exciting, little magic , kind of dark at times a few unexpected events as geb puts it "we broke the world to make it whole" and although she hints of the return of a particular dragon she has ended their involvement in the human world. It wasn't my favorite but it was nice to visit there againg and see how everyone was doing. I get the impression she's kind of closing the door on future novels in this realm.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM   #3
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
What science fiction or fantasy novels are you currently reading, or have you read recently?
I am reading "Liverpool Fantasy," by Larry Kirwan, copyright 2003. It's an alternative/what-if history novel whose premise is that the Beatles broke up in 1962. It's now 1987 and they decided to get together again. John is still alive but is pretty much a street bum, and the other three aren't much better off. Neither is England herself. Some of the book is amusing in places, and the occasional Beatles tune references will make you laugh out loud.
Mary
P.S. Part of the reason I am asking is that I moderate a sci-fi fantasy book discussion group at the local Borders, and am always looking for suggestions for novels to read. Please don't throw darts at me for saying this, but we try to avoid Lord of the Ring-type novels because I'm sick of reading so many of them; likewise, I'm tired of Arthurian adaptations; Harry Turtledove books take too long to read; and we don't do novelizations based on TV shows or movies. But if you have anything else that has made an impression on you, please tell us about it.
I can't remember who wrote it. But I finished reading Freedoms Landing.
I thought it was pretty good.

It's about a race who kidnaps and sells half of the earth's population into slavery.
A young girl escapes and meets up with one of the aliens who isn't really very
popular. So the young girl and the alien are captured and sent to a 'colony'.
So the other humans and the girl and the alien all have to survive together and
along the way they see other transports and how no one else but THEM have
survived on this 'colony'. Along the way .........the "ALIENS" find out that this
colony has survived and is thriving and they want to destroy it now because they wanted to break these people ..........not give them a way to survive and even thrive.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I'm also reading DUNE by Frank Herbert. I actually like the book better then the movie
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Rowan
On Vacation...

I've read Dune at least 6 times I love it! very complex politically, so many layers.

I much prefer it to either movie. I nearly walked out on the first Dune movie I had rad the book 2 times by that time and I could barely understand or appreciate what was going on I thought anyone who hasn't read the book wouldn't have a clue. but the second movie I did like and have the DVD of it. His last book "Chapter house" was riveting and great!
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
I've read Dune at least 6 times I love it! very complex politically, so many layers.

I much prefer it to either movie. I nearly walked out on the first Dune movie I had rad the book 2 times by that time and I could barely understand or appreciate what was going on I thought anyone who hasn't read the book wouldn't have a clue. but the second movie I did like and have the DVD of it. His last book "Chapter house" was riveting and great!
I have Chapter house ..........and I look forward to reading it after I finish reading Dune!

Thanks for the review!
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:57 PM   #7
braxiss
Major

any book by robert hienlein

he is the sci fi master
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:45 PM   #8
kat

I love Dune as well. I honestly don't know how many times I have read it. I also like Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:07 PM   #9
Rowan
On Vacation...

I'm very partial to CJ Cherryh

some of my personal fav of hers are
Down below station
tripoint
cyteen (all 3)
her series on chanur (all 5)
her series on Rusalka (all 3 or is it 4 now?)

her style is so different every timelike with the paladin series very different from anything else she's done.

she switches from fast paced adventure among the stars to mystical ghost stories and women warriors sloggin it out in the trenches a weird and wonderful mix very versatile writer.
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:08 PM   #10
Rowan
On Vacation...

another big time fav is Katherine Kurtz but she's fantasy not Sci-fi

love her Derynii series read them all..
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:11 PM   #11
Rowan
On Vacation...

Another fav.. is Anne McCaffrey love her world of Pern there is at least 12 of them read them all can never get enough of Pern! and dragons I love dragons!

I've read a lot of her other stuff too but Pern is my favorite world by her.
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:39 PM   #12
Rowan
On Vacation...

As a woman reader I often have difficulty enjoying male Sci Fi / fantasy authors because of the way women are portrayed or described but Guy Gavriel Kay is one of the exceptions. I am in love with his style of writing it has a magical, elegant, poetic feel to it that I can't quite describe. the Fionavar Tapestry by him is my favorite (3books) and qualify for the fantasy category the other work is more hystorical fantasy meaning no magical element to it.

someone described his work as "seemless in it's presentation, breathtaking in it's narative and characteres construction, complex and moving, gripping, well researched, lyrical.." I've read all his work and would have to agree with.

Canadian author
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:52 PM   #13
kat

I have read Anne MacCaffrey, however the others you have mentioned are new to me. I am always trying to find new stuff to read so thanks
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:21 AM   #14
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
I love Dune as well. I honestly don't know how many times I have read it. I also like Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
I haven't read Bridge of Birds yet but now I will!

Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:27 PM   #15
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

I'm just starting up on 'Murder In The Place Of Anubis' by Lynda Robinson, a murder mystery set in the time of the Egyptian Pharaohs. It's a kind of thing that's growing on me at the moment (historical/mythical novels ie. Arthurian or Greek mythology etc.)

But I also like sci-fi/fantasy novels of the more unusual variety. I'd like to read more of E. E. 'Doc' Smith's 'Lensman' series, as I've only got book 1 - 'Triplanetary' at the mo, it's really well written for the time. Another writer I enjoy is Robert Rankin, although his work tends to be bizarre English humour mixed in with Sci-fi/Fantasy rather than serious story telling - books like the 'Brentford Trilogy' series (5 books!), 'The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag', 'A Dog Called Demolition' and many more...

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:06 PM   #16
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359
I'm just starting up on 'Murder In The Place Of Anubis' by Lynda Robinson, a murder mystery set in the time of the Egyptian Pharaohs. It's a kind of thing that's growing on me at the moment (historical/mythical novels ie. Arthurian or Greek mythology etc.)

But I also like sci-fi/fantasy novels of the more unusual variety. I'd like to read more of E. E. 'Doc' Smith's 'Lensman' series, as I've only got book 1 - 'Triplanetary' at the mo, it's really well written for the time. Another writer I enjoy is Robert Rankin, although his work tends to be bizarre English humour mixed in with Sci-fi/Fantasy rather than serious story telling - books like the 'Brentford Trilogy' series (5 books!), 'The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag', 'A Dog Called Demolition' and many more...

All the best,
Ian W359
Oh I'll be happy to read that one. It sounds like a great one!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM   #17
bsg1fan1975
Major

right now I am too busy to really read but when I do I am going to settle down with a non scifi book by Danielle Steel who is one of my favorite authors. I have a book of hers I have been meaning to read for a while now!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:36 PM   #18
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I just finished Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling. In this book the island of Nantucket and everything within about a 10 mile radius are transported back to 1250 BC (the Bronze Age). It is really about the way this group of 20th century Americans deal with their new world and their interactions with the people of that time period.

I didn't like the ending--it has "sequel" written all over it. I'm gonna do a Google search and see if there is a sequel out there.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #19
bsg1fan1975
Major

best scifi series I ever read was by Douglas Adams, I'm sure some of you know which one I am talking about.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #20
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss

he is the sci fi master
I'll second that.

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:51 AM   #21
Bombadil

Also, anything by David Weber (but especially the Honor Harrington series), the current master of *realistic* space battle stories.
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #22
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
I'll second that.

Well maybe I should give him another chance then... I tried to read him in my early 20's but I didn't like the way women were portrayed but I was a lot more militant back then , which one would you guys recomend I try knowing how I feel?
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #23
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammerdriver
I just finished Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling. In this book the island of Nantucket and everything within about a 10 mile radius are transported back to 1250 BC (the Bronze Age). It is really about the way this group of 20th century Americans deal with their new world and their interactions with the people of that time period.

I didn't like the ending--it has "sequel" written all over it. I'm gonna do a Google search and see if there is a sequel out there.

It's book one of a trilogy.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #24
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss

he is the sci fi master
His book Starship Troopers is in my opinion the best military-political scifi book ever written (at least that I read). It's too bad the movie is a shadowy joke of the book.

I was so happy after reading Starship Troopers I looked forward to reading Stranger In A Strange Land, his supposed masterpiece. Unfortunately I was let down. A long book with a lot of development that didn't capture me in the end.

I like Orson Scott Cards "Enders Game". I recommend this book to everyone. It is especially good when you look at when it was written. It is great as a technological forcast and a dark view of the education system and child developement.

If you want a good technical view of the future exploration of space tied in a nice story I recommend "Red Mars". I haven't read the rest of the trilogy but the first book was good even on its own.
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #25
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
I can't remember who wrote it. But I finished reading Freedoms Landing.
I thought it was pretty good.
Anne McCaffrey wrote it and it is part of a very enjoyable series. You can find a complete listing at: http://www.annemccaffrey.org/ under "Books" and then "Series".

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #26
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
I'm also reading DUNE by Frank Herbert. I actually like the book better then the movie
I have read all of the Dune novels (including those written by Frank Herbert's son after his death). The history is so rich and incredible that no movie could ever do it justice.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #27
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
I haven't read Bridge of Birds yet but now I will!

I loved it, also loved the others in the series: "Hughart has written a sequel to Bridge of Birds, called The Story of the Stone (1988) and Eight Skilled Gentlemen (1990). Since that time, he seems to have fallen silent and rumor says he has stopped writing. If such is the case, it is a sad loss to the realm of speculative fiction." - http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/hughart.html

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #28
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hey antelope that is the next author I had pegged to try ...Orson Scott Card , I usually like to explore award winning authors. Thanks for making suggestions, because he's written a bit and I didn't know where to start
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #29
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359
I'd like to read more of E. E. 'Doc' Smith's 'Lensman' series, as I've only got book 1 - 'Triplanetary' at the mo, it's really well written for the time.
I just bought the complete Lensman series from the SciFi Book Club. I am on the fifth book (out of 6) and really enjoy it. It's definitely got some outdated ideas and morals, but since he did start writing the series in the 1920's (although he didn't publish anything until the late 1940's) I guess I'll forgive him.

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #30
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
I'll second that.

And I will carry the motion that anything by Robert Heinlein is the best. I still quote from "The Number of the Beast" and I haven't read it in 10 years.