Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 10th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #1
JasonA

Default My thoughts on the mini

Hi folks,

My name's Jason Adank, some of you know me from 3d gladiators where I've posted for awhile. I've been lurking here for quite some time now, but decided to post after watching the 'reimagined' version of BSG. (cause I just had to vent a bit and this seemed like a great place to throw out my 2 cents worth)

I have mixed feelings about this mini series. However overall, I didn't like it. I say that mainly because the things that I *did* like about it mostly focused around the cgi. The story and charcters really turned me off.

I felt like the characters really weren't very likeable. In fact, with the exception of Almos' character (cmd adama), I didn't like any of them personally and actually found myself thinking 'they got what they deserved':/. The characters were cynical in a way that, to me, was over the top. And the dysfunctionality of so many of the relationships kinda got me down. I found many if the actors portrayals to be lucklaster and without interest, however this is likely due to the direction, not their acting abilities.

I really didn't like the heavy sex push in this show. Frankly, the opening scenes for me were borderline excessively explicit. And the constant reminder of 'whos screwing who' in the show was turning me off in a big way. It kinda reminds me of Enterprise. Some of these shows really feel a need to capitalize on sex, as if they won't get viewers or ratings without it. Similairly, I found the amount of cussing somewhat excessive. I remembered how much I didn't like the excessive cussing when I saw Alien 3. Well this wasn't as bad as that, but boy were sure have come along way on network television.

I found the opening scenes with number 6 snapping the babies neck to be particularly disturbing. I really didn't need to see that. I kinda copped an attitute right near the beginning of the show because of that scene. And it was a pointless story element. I mean, if #6 knew humans were about to go, why bother with that. Because she was facinated by how much weight the baby neck could withstand? While it certainly makes you dislike the cylons, it wasn't a nessesary scene to demonstate their malice towards humanity. It was inserted for pure shock factor and it really turned me off. I have a hard time watching violence towards children (especially babies) as entertainment.

I also found it strange that they were retainig elements of the first show (original cylon warriors/base stars etc), as if this was some sort of extension from the original series. And yet so many other things were 'reinvented'. This seemed kinda pointless and continually reminded me how they were 're-inventing' the show from a previous one. Why even bother with this if its going to be an orignal miniseries? I think I would have like it more if they had not kept bringing old elements literally back from the past.

I didn't like most of the new designs all that much, although the new cylon warrior was indeed pretty cool looking. I can't say I liked many of the new ship designs of the show and alot of the costumes seemed like they were bought at the local JC Penny prior to shooting. Alot of contemporary elements which kept making me thing this WAS earth, not a bunch of people trying to find the mythical place OF Earth.

The soundtrack was pretty blah, and not very engaging. No basic theme that really defines 'Battlestar Galactica' (unless you call that boring Enya imitation as a soundtrack). I really noticed this during the space battle scenes. While the drum beat thing was sort interesting, it became annoying after a few minutes. The other Enya styled stuff was ok, but pretty subdued. Basically this show doesn't have a soundtrack that compliments the scenes effectively.

Speaking of the space battle scenes, why was there so many scenes which was implying 'silence in space' only to then have a cylon raider go whirring on by. If you're gonna have sound effects in space, then make good ones for all ships involved. If its gonna be silent (realstic) then do it 2001: Space Odyssey style. enough said on that

I will agree that the show picked up more steam in the latter half. The first half was really dull (ok well except for the sex scenes I guess). The second episode was much more interesting, so thats a plus. Also on the plus side, I was glad to see some 'turn around' on some of the characters, although I still think many of them are not very likeable.

I thought Zoic's FX work was really nice. They did a great job of alot of the space and battle scenes. The nuking of earth looked fantastic. The camcorder style zooming in stuff was a bit annoying though. It was done way to often and for reasons which didn't make sense. Ie usually that sort of thing is done to imply handheld camera movement for news casts. I didn't like that style of camera shooting for scenes that had no logical reason for this effect. I think they coulda ditched that (or only used it for a few scenes). The only parts that I thought were close to cheese was a few shots of Caprica (seemed really old style B5'ish). The new cylons warriors looked pretty cool too. Overall I really like their work. However, this doesn't redeem the show since Zoic can do fx on any number of shows. FX won't make the movie.,

I guess I could on and on, but I won't. Overall I didn't like the new miniseries, but it had a few redeeeming qualities. In the end, I walked away from this feeling the same way I did when I saw the Wing Commander movie. great fx, ok actors, weak revision of a previous idea. And I couldn't give a hoot about most of the characters which I think is its biggest problem. I know some of these actors have done better parts, which makes me wonder about the writers/directors of this miniseries we on when putting together the screenplay and script.

I give it 4/10 and I hope they let it die here.
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thank you for your reivew, and welcome to Colonial Fleets!

Amberstar
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Hi JasonA, good to have the 3dgladiators folks remember us.

Pssst. Amber: 3dgladiators was originally the site that started both this forum and Subspace Relay.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

JAAAASSSSOOONNN!

Good to see ya! I loved seeing your art!

This man does wonders with a computer!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #5
JasonA

Thanks for the warm welcome Amberstar and Jewels (wow, women on a scifi board? cool ) I have to of course confess that I am a bit biased because I'm a fan of the original series. But when I watched the show I really tried to evaluate it based on its own merits. I'd still rather see Richard Hatch's version though. Or even GlenLarson's ... ah man there's so many fingers in this pie its hard to keep up with it. I wish I could have seen the BSG:2nd Coming trailer

Hi Thomas! man I didn't know you were a big dog over here (I didn't recognize the handle till I followed your link) good to see you man! I need to post mor eoften at 3dg, I got a project in the oven you'll see it soon
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Ohwow! I would LOVE to see it! Make sure to let us know even if its not BG related.

Everyone, this guys art is incredible. When he starts a model, it comes out looking exactly like the original! It looks right, and its accurate to the smallest detail. Check his site out!

Old December 10th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #7
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonA
(wow, women on a scifi board? cool )
There are quite a few of us women folk here.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #8
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
Everyone, this guys art is incredible. When he starts a model, it comes out looking exactly like the original! It looks right, and its accurate to the smallest detail. Check his site out!
That is a galactic understatement. No one has a better CG Discovery than Jason.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #9
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Hi Jason
Don't know you but You are spot on. Love to see your work, got a link or did I miss it
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #10
JasonA

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm a bit overwhelmed. Turthfully, I've been more inspired by the works of several of the people here, many of whom are from 3dg. Thomas7g's classic Big E and the sub (seaquest?), Titon (a few jaw dropping wips I rember of the big G and the shuttle), Stevew (you may not know me, but I've seen alot of your work, very inspiring stuff!), MichaelFaires, you've put together alot of really nice wallpaper which currently resides on my hard drive

IIRC, Kingfish (sp?) was the guy who told me about CF about a year ago or so. So, I poked in now and again to see what was going on with the revival. I really wish I could have been apart of the second coming trailer, it looked like a blast from the stills I've seen.

As far as examples of my work, I don't have a website or complete gallery per se, but I have a collection of things over at renderosity. If you'd like to view it, the link is
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.e...&Artist=JasonA
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #11
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Thanks Jason, after seeing your work, bells went off, what it means I don't know LOL I remember seeing your work at at renderosity. Great stuff, I wish I could tex like you guys but I don't like it, I just make models LOL I have added a few more and have 8 more major pieces to tex but I can't bring myself to get in to it, it is too much fun constructing in SW.
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.e...&Artist=Stevew
Good to have you here
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Thomas7g's classic Big E and the sub (seaquest?),
hehe. Its actually from a really old series called Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Seaquest would become a pretty much exact copy 20 years later.

btw- regarding Don's shuttle, did you know that shuttle in the opening of the mini-series was HIS?

Donny boy is a big man now! hehe

i think he's like 6'6"

LOL

(tom is just having too much to drink now)

Old December 11th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #13
JasonA

Dang, don's shuttle, fabio's battlestar... how are these guys getting hooked up with these jobs ?? (I want one!)

IIRC, Enigma up in Vancouver BC did the design work for the mini, and Zoic in LA is doing the animation/fx