Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library
Notices
Colonial Library Grab a glass of ambrosa and wrap yourself around stories, written by residents of our little corner of the universe!

Old July 5th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Default The Battle of Pancake Hill

Childhood is such sweet yesterdays. Wading through invisible toddling breakers, and food and drink as much a merriment to fondle as to ingest.

My older brother and I were quite the disparate pair; he a mischievous air of confidence, me a wispy reluctant doubter. But aye and anon we shared the sibling ties that bind. And one was competition – not of athletic sculpted prowess, scarce 5 years and 9 between us, but of things our tiny minds could hold to low lintels up like fleeting laurels of youth.

And one day, that battle was waged by tiny mouths and burgeoning teeth. Who could rule and who could rue, the day that one of us could eat the largest stack of mom’s delicious pancakes. The first went down so easily; the second I scarcely noticed, and thirds did me no harm at all, even as tiny as I was. But four was stretching my belly like a trimester fetus, and five an Outland bursting in the wings. This racer met the tape half way, and crumbled in defeat.

But swelling belly and chipmunk cheeks did not dissuade my hubristic elder’s hand to mouth pentathlon stride. The stack waned as the muncher waxed, and ere the hour was out, /twenty/ hapless disci met their final toss. Triumphant smiles beamed from the Olympic chair, till biology bid him retire to less attractive marble adulation.

But Housman’s admonition is still lost on us it seems, though we have traded thoughts for cakes of flour and water. The race we really need to win is just against ourselves, and self-acclaim at tissue’s end the only roses we need tossed on stage. The show I love, this “BSG”, has won its place on the only Olympic sill that really matters, the hearts of those that treasure it as I. And in those hearts it runs its race anew each beat and breath, though catcall bleachers greet its passing stride, and wins the wreath that cannot fade away.

The stature of a dream that will not die.

Affectionately,

Muffit

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Correction...

My brother has corrected my mixup of this memory, I think i was thinking of the taco contest (same house, same year). And yes, he did eat 20!

The pancake contest were actually dollar-sized (and near the end, not even fully cooked). The final score was 57 to 56!!! Yikes! We must've been two sick kids that afternoon!!!

Old July 6th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #3
bsg1fan1975
Major

must have been! after two I am done!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #4
repcisg
Bad Email Address

This was fun - do it again!
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks Bsg! Thanks repcisg!
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

LOL.... I miss those days.

I remember in a hawaiian vacation my sister and I engaged in a lets gross out the parents fest. We combined pancake syrup, ketchup and coke and drank it with a fake yummy face to really make our folks nausious.

Those were the days.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks Thomas! Yep, those days were really special...
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #8
bsg1fan1975
Major

I remember one time while we were on vacation back in my home state of Wisconsin my sister taking beer and combining it with orange juice. I thought that was the sickest thing I have ever heard of.

Old July 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #9
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Eww.. that does sound bad Bsg. Guess you don't wanna hear about my peanut butter and tuna fish sandwiches... :laugh:
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #10
bsg1fan1975
Major

oh please. bad enough that I have felt sick to my stomach since last night.

Old July 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit

Childhood is such sweet yesterdays. Wading through invisible toddling breakers, and food and drink as much a merriment to fondle as to ingest.

My older brother and I were quite the disparate pair; he a mischievous air of confidence, me a wispy reluctant doubter. But aye and anon we shared the sibling ties that bind. And one was competition – not of athletic sculpted prowess, scarce 5 years and 9 between us, but of things our tiny minds could hold to low lintels up like fleeting laurels of youth.

And one day, that battle was waged by tiny mouths and burgeoning teeth. Who could rule and who could rue, the day that one of us could eat the largest stack of mom’s delicious pancakes. The first went down so easily; the second I scarcely noticed, and thirds did me no harm at all, even as tiny as I was. But four was stretching my belly like a trimester fetus, and five an Outland bursting in the wings. This racer met the tape half way, and crumbled in defeat.

But swelling belly and chipmunk cheeks did not dissuade my hubristic elder’s hand to mouth pentathlon stride. The stack waned as the muncher waxed, and ere the hour was out, /twenty/ hapless disci met their final toss. Triumphant smiles beamed from the Olympic chair, till biology bid him retire to less attractive marble adulation.

But Housman’s admonition is still lost on us it seems, though we have traded thoughts for cakes of flour and water. The race we really need to win is just against ourselves, and self-acclaim at tissue’s end the only roses we need tossed on stage. The show I love, this “BSG”, has won its place on the only Olympic sill that really matters, the hearts of those that treasure it as I. And in those hearts it runs its race anew each beat and breath, though catcall bleachers greet its passing stride, and wins the wreath that cannot fade away.

The stature of a dream that will not die.

Affectionately,

Muffit
You're posts are insightful as always.

shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #12
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks Shiningstar!!!