Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Conventions
Notices
Conventions Non BG Conventions included too!

View Poll Results: Have you ordered your Galacticon DVD yet and what do you think?
Got mine, LOVE IT! I would recommend it to all Galactica fans who either did or didn't attend. 5 83.33%
Not yet, I am waiting for the reviews before I order. 0 0%
Got mine, it was okay but not what I expected. 0 0%
I can't afford to get one yet but will when I can. 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Jerry Vasilatos
Shuttle Pilot

Default Galacticon 2003 DVDs Are In!

I got some from the manufacturer today and I am very pleased to announce that they turned out great. Despite the delays, I hope you all enjoy them, it was a labor of love and I wanted to make sure it had everything we could jam into one DVD (over three hours of convention highlights and the DeSanto slideshow!) For those of you who want to relive the experience or those who could not attend, I hope you all enjoy it.

Michelle will be shipping DVDs this week and next to those of you who pre-ordered and they are in stock now for new orders at: http://www.nitestar.com/galacticondvd.html and http://www.galacticonevents.com.

I'd love feedback when you receive your copies.

Best wishes to all-

JV

Jerry Vasilatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Default I have them!!!

Yes, finally! They are sitting right in my office as of this morning. I'll be sending them out as fast as I can address, psostage and seal. I'll be throwing in a couple of goodies, too for everyone's patience.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
Yes, finally! They are sitting right in my office as of this morning. I'll be sending them out as fast as I can address, add postage and seal. I'll be throwing in a couple of goodies, too for everyone's patience.
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:18 PM   #4
BSGDAN
Shuttle Pilot

I received my GALACTICON kit today. Everything was in good order, and the fact that the lithograph was autographed by Richard Hatch was a welcome surprise. At first, I thought the DVD was defective as there was no sound (with the exception of the opening few bars of the theme on the menu page). However, it plays just fine on my other DVD player, so it must be something in my main player. It would have been nice to have some clips from the show included (or even a slide show from BSG:2C), but I know that would have been too costly to produce. Anyway, good job all around on this DVD.

Dan
BSGDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Jerry Vasilatos
Shuttle Pilot

Default Great to finally get some feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSGDAN
I received my GALACTICON kit today. Everything was in good order, and the fact that the lithograph was autographed by Richard Hatch was a welcome surprise. At first, I thought the DVD was defective as there was no sound (with the exception of the opening few bars of the theme on the menu page). However, it plays just fine on my other DVD player, so it must be something in my main player. It would have been nice to have some clips from the show included (or even a slide show from BSG:2C), but I know that would have been too costly to produce. Anyway, good job all around on this DVD.

Dan
Dear Dan-

Your DVD is not defective. The only use of music on the Main Menu are those few bars of the Galactica theme with Stu Phillips permission at the open and after each panel discussion segment disclaimer. Universal wanted THOUSANDS of dollars to license anything from the shows, and as this DVD is meant to help eliminate the convention debt instead of add to it, we could not use anything beyond what is there (and believe me, I am as disappointed as everyone else because I would have LOVED to have been able to include the 25th Anniversary Retrospective I produced that was shown at Galacticon but because it used show clips, we could not afford to include it because of those same licensing issues.)

Same issues with the "Second Coming" trailer. Unless the people who helped produce it but were not paid can be compensated, it cannot be distributed for commercial purposes (Universal wanted to use it on the boxed set, but when Richard told them he needed to pay people who starred in it and worked on it per SAG stipulations and agreements he had withthem, Universal didn't want to spring for it.)

Funny thing is it may have cost less for them to include the "Second Coming" trailer in the boxed set than it would have cost us to license clips to show our documentary retrospective, but that's what's involved with rights and clearance issues.

Glad you enjoy the DVD!

JV
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #6
JLHurley
Warrior

Anyone else still not get their copy? I ordered mine late last year.
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

Mine's currently passing through Customs. I may receive it in the next few days.

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #8
amberstar
Strike Leader

I got mine over the weekend, but the audio was not working, hopefully my new one will be here soon
From what I saw it looked amazing! I'm so glad this was sold, I couldn't attend the big event last fall........so this is the next best thing!

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #9
Ian_W359
Warrior

Thumbs up Oh yes!

Yes indeed, I received my oddly shaped box of Galacticon loveliness today! I guess it's the next best thing to actually being there!

I really like the nice touches (Richard Hatch signing the lithograph, and the personalised 'Commander' badge - In the conventions I usually attend, pin badges are used).

I haven't played the DVD yet, but my main player seems pretty competent with playing difficult discs, so hopefully it will work properly (I'm not saying the Galacticon DVD is 'difficult', just that the player is something of a tough cookie).

My thanks to all involved!

All the best,
Ian W359
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #10
JohnHJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
Yes, finally! They are sitting right in my office as of this morning. I'll be sending them out as fast as I can address, psostage and seal. I'll be throwing in a couple of goodies, too for everyone's patience.

I hope that evrybody is pleased with there DVD, I really do. I lost out with this thanks to our wonderful boys and girls at Customs and Excise, having to pay a hefty import duty. I declined this, having already paid for my item. As for any further Galacticon items I will think twice before ordering. This whole affair has left a rather bitter taste in my mouth, rather like the miniseries. Perhaps Ronald D. Moore was in charge of the mailouts.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #11
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Actally, Galacticon is and has been for awhile just me (and Jerry, who has been a hge help)- I've been doing all the shipping and recieving, bookkeping, and whatever needs to be done to keep business end going. I've been working on a special promotion for customets, but it's been insalnely busy between shipping, taxes, and everything else.

When I first set up our shipping, I was told that customs on an item like this would be either negligible or non-existent. Unfortunately, I was misinformed, but I have no control over Immigration and Customs, and nowhere to call them to complain. I was authorised to offer a half refund on customs for anyone who had to pay a fee, if I offer to refund all fo it it will have to come out fo my pocket, but if needs must... I will.

We had no way to charge up front for that becuase of not knowing what the fee would be. Up to this point, I had no idea it was a problem, because only 2 people have even mentioned it. I'll do what I can.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #12
Jerry Vasilatos
Shuttle Pilot

Default My 2 Cents

Hey Michelle-

While this may seem unethical to some, I never have a moral reservation doing it because customs in other countries do have a tendency to gouge people with insane customs duties and taxes that are entirely unfair.

When you ship DVDs internationally, mark them "commercial samples" or "gift". I don't think these can be taxed and with the minimal amount of copies going out to other countries it shouldn't interfere with your order fulfillment record keeping.

If you can't do it from Galacticon, I can do it from my production company office.

John-

Sorry you had to refuse the DVD, if Michelle can get it to you duty free I think you will enjoy it.

JV

DVD Producer
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

How much do the dvds sell for?
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #14
Jerry Vasilatos
Shuttle Pilot

$24.95 + S/H

Visit here:

http://www.nitestar.com/galacticondvd.html

JV
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #15
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Jerry the cover art looks outstanding.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #16
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

I'm here once again.... some more info on my Galaction merchandise dealings (not wanting to sound like I'm handing out rights or wrongs or anything like that...)

I posted on the forums at BattlestarGalacticaClub.com the fact that I got a phone call from UPS, about the contents of my package (?) from Galacticon, a few days before I actually received the goods. I was a little curious as to why I was asked - the customs docket was marked 'Merchandise' - but I duly supplied the information (description & cost) anyway via e-mail, knowing full well there would be a customs charge to pay (even if sent through the postal system, there would be a charge - the lower limit is a goods value of £18).

I managed to avoid a charge (well, sort of...) when I purchased the R1 complete series box set in February (the dealer had the policy of adding on customs charges to his RRP - something the HM Customs & Excise is not too keen on). I could go on about R1 DVD importation, but that's another story...

Just something to end on, I signed up for a 'Supporting Membership' for the 20 Yahren Reunion in 1998 (ie. not actually attending, but receiving some merchandise) and received that through the post, marked as 'Gifts', but that was just a 'Jiffy Bag', not a tube.

I hope this is of help.

All the best,
Ian W359