Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #1
Jayworld
Warrior

Default News From Richard Hatch at Wizard World con

Hi, Just wanted to report in, as I spent the better part of this afternoon at the Wizard World Convention in Dallas (Arlington), and spent about 15 minutes getting things signed (again!) and talking with Richard.

Forgive me if this post belongs in the conventions groupings...

Richard did say that Tom DeSanto had just approached Universal with a Battlestar Galactica CONTINUATION movie/series as an animated series; but again, was turned down because Universal felt that would be confusing for the general public with the existing "reimagining" series on Sci-Fi...

At least we know what Tom DeSanto has been up to, now that he is no longer with the X-Men projects.

Did get to see Richard's finished "Magellan" trailer that he will be offering to the video gaming community....

Thanks,
Jayworld
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Weli I hate to say I told you so, but there it is. Our BSG and the new one cannot co-exist. Either you support one or the other. And I will not back up the current piece of trash!
Old November 7th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #3
julix
Bad Email Address

well, I am not sure what to make of this bit of news........anyone else have some wisdom on this???????
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #4
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Well -

That is an interesting bit of news...

Anyone talk to Michelle lately? She could confirm it.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #5
originalsinner

Whew, arnt thay pleased at Universal! I hope one day, The real Galactica will shine! by the lords
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #7
originalsinner

"warrior' lov that S! "Smallville" did a great job getting Chris in some episodes last year!
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #8
originalsinner

thanks, Ive been all right, Its been a yahren since the con wow! Got my unifrom out for Halloween, All the people at the bar, dig the old show! Good 2 see ya fellow Warrior! Yeah, I wish Universal could have done a better job with "Galactica" like WB, does with "Superman"! If only there was a show about a young Starbuck and Apollo!!!! called "Caprica"
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:19 AM   #9
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Two versions can co-exist. It's Universal that doesn't want them to.
Universal isn't the only one that has this kind of concern. This is exactly the same reason why not a single Constitution-class starship miniature was ever seen outside the TOS series/movie franchise with the single exception of DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" for obvious reasons. The suits at these companies really do believe that the fans will be "confused".
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #10
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
The suits at these companies really do believe that the fans will be "confused".
Thats the suits 'thinking' for ya. Weird that they just don't get it do they. Fans will actually be confused by the thing they watch and practically know inside out. (Best sarcastic voice) Right!!!

Old November 8th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I guess watching the new show doesn't lead to a continuation after all.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:50 AM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:

I agree on that, however Universal hates the original Galactica with a passion.
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #13
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
But I don't understand why??????
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #14
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
But if Larson owns the movies rights(which sounded to be in question) then does it matter or do they still have to OK it????
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #15
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Yep, 2 decades of Universal sitting on their arses points to lack of care or interest?

Does make one wonder why they chose to go in the route they have. When they HAD a build in audience waiting for a epic revival with the old one. And regardless of what people say, many of the original stars could have come back ages ago and made the series worth while before handing it over to a new generation of "Heroes" born in space to continue the journey their parents started.

In a very serious no B.S. way. I can't forgive the stupidity of Universal or whatever executive was responsible for messing up with the constant non-movement on this Sleeping Giant of a franchise!

Ken Johnson has also gone through this with "V". another sci-fi franchise "F" up by some nimrod in a suit thinking, we don't want to see a new continuation of the original. Cos far as they are concerned it wouldn't work with todays audiences?

TPTB TV executive suits = Jackasses!

Like the X-Files mantra. It appears We're not alone! in this need to see a revival happen with a most beloved TV Sci-Fi classic series.

KJ
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #16
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

If Glen owns the rights, which I think is pretty likely based on the evidence, then no, it doesn't matter what Universal thinks. Based on Glen owning the rights, then Tom is the confused one- he needs to take his plan to Glen, not Universal, and then they can shop it to someone else for backing. Dunno why Tom even went to Uni in the first place.

I'll ask Richard.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #17
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Richard says not to worry. He says a project being turned down doesn't mean no, it means change something in the negotiation terms we don't like and come back. He syas all good projects get turned down several times before getting greenlighted. He says don't worry about an initial refusal.

There you go.
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #18
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Michele what I find ironic is that Richard and Tom had dinner together when the Galacticon event was transpiring. In Hollywood deals are made over brunch. Where was Glen? Glen stated that he wanted to be with family. To me it seems like a lost opportunity, ie the plans for a future BG movie could have begun. Glen, Tom, and Richard putting their brains together equals win-win for the fans. Right now we are in LOSE mode praying for a miracle.
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #19
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Well with all due respect to the fans of Moore's version, I'm hoping that Universal are not turning Tom down because his Idea is too much like the original and not enough like Moore's version because then that's just yet another slap in the face to the fans that kept this show alive for 25 years.

Universal ignores a huge fan base and changes most of what made BSG in the first place, then They release the original in a DVD box set and it sells like hot cakes, then they release Moore's version on DVD that is a very different version of Galactica and with 2 totally different versions of Galactica out there, they are worried about the fans being confused? I would say that ship has sailed long ago. lol

But with that said, Tom Desanto has proven him self and he is a real fan of the show.
He hasn't given up and that says one hell of a lot .

PS. You know something? All Tom would have to do is stop in here and say ( Hi I'm Tom Desanto and I just wanted to say hi to the Galactica fans ) and that would be all the pep talk that most would need to hear to be re generated but even if he doesn't, I'm still going to write those letters because I believe in the guy.
OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #20
originalsinner

With Tom asking Universal, Hope this wont turn into a redone bsg cartoon
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #21
GreggAllinson
Bad Email Address

It's really sad that Glen decided to "pull rank" on Richard circa 1999 instead of joining forces with him. Glen had the Hollywood know-how and connections, Richard had the passion and story...the two of them probably could've gotten a sequel series on the air. But no- instead, Glen got into a pissing contest with Richard, and all we have to show for it is some concept art.

Moore's Galactica is seriously growing on me, but I'd kill to see the real Starbuck and Apollo back in action. Sadly, with every passing year, the prospects of that seem dimmer and dimmer...
GreggAllinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #22
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Greg, its actually looking pretty decent. Not this year. But why not in 2008 or so?

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #23
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
If Glen owns the rights, which I think is pretty likely based on the evidence, then no, it doesn't matter what Universal thinks. Based on Glen owning the rights, then Tom is the confused one- he needs to take his plan to Glen, not Universal, and then they can shop it to someone else for backing. Dunno why Tom even went to Uni in the first place.

I'll ask Richard.
Here's a tweaky legal annoying thought: What if Tom's proposal is a series (because, hey, he already had a 5-7 year plan for one rolling around in his brain). If Uni has TV rights to all of BG and Glen has the feature film to TOS BG, Tom would make an initial inquiry with Uni due to the series nature of his idea, wouldn't he?

It's late, if I make no sense, it just means I'm yawning too much. Time to sleep.

Be encouraged. People who care still have brain cells engaged in continuation mode. Anime could work for me.
G'night all.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #24
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Another theory:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlesta...?showtopic=600
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #25
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Greg, its actually looking pretty decent. Not this year. But why not in 2008 or so?

Why is 2008 when Richard's contract ends? I have been pondering this as well. If Hatch is signed to a contract to reprise Tom terrorist he can't make a BG continuation movie before the contract expires. Remember Remington Steele. Brosnan would have been Bond instead of Timothy Dalton however NBC choose to renew the show and Brosnan couldn't take part in Bond.
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:29 AM   #26
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg
Universal isn't the only one that has this kind of concern. This is exactly the same reason why not a single Constitution-class starship miniature was ever seen outside the TOS series/movie franchise with the single exception of DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" for obvious reasons. The suits at these companies really do believe that the fans will be "confused".
As much as I hate to admit it, but "the suits" have a good point. Now while us fans would not be confused, new comers and people who watched the series from a glance would be.

A couple of examples. I had a friend who watched TOS every so often and he saw the mini. He told me he couldn't really tell the difference between the two and didn't see why they bothered remaking it. I asked if he was joking, he said no, that he really did not remember that much about the show, only the premise. I went back and brought my DVD's (here I come to save the day! Or so I thought.)
He watched a little bit and got really frustrated and confused with the differences between the 2 and now refuses to watch either.

Another example that is non Galactica related, my cousin and I watched the BBC Robin Hood series with Dynasty star Michael Praed. It came on Showtime then on PBS. Well shortly after the Kevin Costner film came out and it frustrated her to no end on how different it was from the series. I explained to her that neither one was a definitve version of the original legend of Robin Hood and proceeded to show her a book of the collected tales of the hero. She got frustrated and confused by the differences and really didn't want to have anything to do with Robin Hood other than the series she was used to.

So there is validation to their thinking, it just doesn't favor us who have been waiting for a ctrue continuation.

I think that our biggest problem is that we don't have the media in our favor. In my experience, everyone I try to talk to about the situation looks at me like I am a pathetic fanboy. Or maybe my comunication skills are not the best. LOL But the media comment is true, I didn't find out about the mini until it was almost out. The last I heard before that was Brian Singer working on a remake. I didn't hear any further on it therefore joe public knew nothing either. Now initially when someone who liked the original hears that Starbuck lost his boys and cylons are skinjobs they are like oh my god. But that is it, when I press further they lose interest. Now if the media backed us up maybe we would have gotten a better reaction than "they are crazy fanboys". I myself didn't find out about galacicon until it happened and I regretted not knowing and know of others who wanted to attend, but without the media backing, it just got through to those few who frequent the net.
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #27
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

I understand why Universal is thinking that way, I just don't understand why they didn't think that way in the first place. Case in point, A new Moore viewer that has seen his version for the first time and has never seen the original, finds the original box set in a store and buys it thinking it has something to do with Moore's version but soon finds out that it has very little to do with it and isn't even based in the same Universe. So because of that , the person feels cheated.

The only other question I have is, If Universal is so worried about confusing the fans then why does the sci fi channel still air the original every once and a while?

You can say what you want but this whole thing could have been avoided with an updated, well written continuation, an updated well written prequal or an updated well written side story . All of which let the original still exist and would avoid the confusion right from the get go but then again that wouldn't of pi$$ed off the fan base and wouldn't have gotten so much free publicity because of it.

I think we would all be surprised if we new exactly what went on behind closed doors.
OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #28
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

OWD they run the original to draw viewers for the new series. The biggest problem is running two new Galactica's at the same time. The only ones that would be confused are the oxy-morons. Fandom was truly FRACKED when the DeSanto production was chucked like an empty beer over Fox's shoulder. They didn't even let DeSanto know.
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #29
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

I think that our best bet to get the Galactica back in the original universe is a spin off, or a prequel. Honestly I would like to see it take place toward the begining of the 1,000 yahren war with the cylons. To see the ancestors of Adama, Boomer, Tigh, and Starbuck. To see not only the evolution of the colonies but that of the cylons as well. Plus how cool would it be to see the Galactica being constructed? I think this would work best as a TV film or mini series.

Another idea for a spinoff would be a handful of colonial warriors who were not able to meet up with the Galactica (at any point would be interesting either after the colonies were annihillated or sometime during their voyage to earth.) They come upon a planet with a large population of humans who have never heard of cylons.

Now there are 2 things you can do with this.

A) The cylons arrive and take over the planet, and the Warriors form a resistance group with the natives and the series would be about their struggle to reclaim the planet from the cylons.

B) The cylons arrive and start systematicly wiping out out the population, the warriors are able to help them fend off the 1st wave, but more are comming. Their only hope is to find the Galactica and join forces with them. Taking what the can to hodge podge some ships together to find the Galactica and defend themselves against attack. Now the ships they create aren't too space worthy so there will be a lot of frequent stops to rebuild or replace spacecraft.

What do you think?
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #30
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Darrell- true. Richard says Tom said, no intent to misinterpret, but it would be nice if Tom would occasionally 'said' directly. That's another one past due for interviewing.