Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old October 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #1
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Judging Katie

I am not the news-watcher as much as I used to be, but when I had heard that Katie Couric was headed for CBS news, I had hopes that it would work out. I had seen her do the NBC Weekend news and had no qualms. Her reporting was straight forward as she was doing news rather than a morning news-variety show.
And on the evening news, when she has been allowed to report the news, she's been pretty fair. But for the most part, it seems like she's so busy introducing reporters and promos, that she is not doing a whole lot of anchoring. You have to check the clock to make sure you are not watching the Early Show.
If it were baseball, this would be like having your starting pitcher throw a couple pitches, and then pulled out for the middle-releif corps.
Well hopefully, CBS will wake up and smell the coffee, and I will get to see a smart, fashionable lady and how she veiws the news.
Not that I am a centrist or anything. I have been told that the crowd I hang out with thinks that Charleton Hesston is a moderate on the gun control issue. But listening to others does help put the perspective on things. Sometimes at least.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

We've been watching Katie too. I like her, but I totally get you point that she needs to do more of the reporting. I think CNN and FoxNews have changed the way anchors work, not always to the better when you've got an intelligent one with heart like Katie.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:37 AM   #3
bsg1fan1975
Major

Its a change from boring Bob Scheiffer! He made the evening news unwatchable for me

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #4
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

She seems to have covered the election well. This past week, there was quite a bit better quality of news to cover.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I think she's an improvement over Bob Schaeffer too. I also found him unwatchable.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #6
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Latest in National Enquirer;(Do I read Quality Stuff?)

the headline sez that katie is to be fired. Then the fine print sez if her ratings don't improve etc. That way if katie does retire 40 yrs from now, they can say they were right. They also say that she may be moved to morning show or 60 Min. Which to me wouldn't be so much like firing.
But with Ed Bradley gone (and he was a good guy) there may be a job opening for Katie anyways. Seems like 60 Min would be on her list of things not yet accomplished.
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #7
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default She seems to be getting more comfortable

with the job. And CBS apparently, wisely, is letting her carry the ball more.

I've always liked Bob Scheiffer too. But he 's got the Face the Nation gig ongoing anyways.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM   #8
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

And now Meredith is on the Today Show.

Once I actually tried to get onto the trivia show, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
So the first time I try the website, it ways sorry, we have enough contestants for this year, please try next season.
And so I wait until next season, bring up there web-site, and the message is, sorry this season we are selecting contestants from our studio audience. Please apply for tickets.
And so I go to the apply for tickets section and the message is, Sorry all available tickets have been given out for this season...

And so upon watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, I discover they are pulling contestants at Random from amongst the masses at DisneyWorld. And then in another week they are pulling people at Random from the streets of New York.

I am beginning to think that Meredith is trying to cause me to go crazy....
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #9
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Katie looks swell in Black;

I had fallen out of the habit of watching the evening news, but anymore am tuning it in at least some of it.