Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 7th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #91
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Fedaykin, LurkerzRule, Shiningstar,

I loved the Dune books as well. Even wrote about them in a musing! (Terror at 20,000 Feet). I loved the movie. I thought SKiffy did a pretty good job of their version of Dune, but I still like the movie better, it really captured the essence of Herbert's ambience.

I recently bought House Atreides, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.
Dune was a truly unique work. Loved the Bene Gesseret cult. And the wierding module. And the galactic spice dependency. And Duncan Idaho. And... (Sheesh, why don't I just list the whole book??? ).

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #92
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

By the way Jewels thanks for Posting the Links!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #93
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
Welcome Warhammerdriver ........I like your nickname

Thanks! I just love driving 70 tons of attitude around.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #94
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Cool

Old February 7th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #95
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Fedaykin, LurkerzRule, Shiningstar,

(Sheesh, why don't I just list the whole book??? ).

IMO, You would almost have to.
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #96
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I liked the original movie even more then I liked the book.
I think that the movie was very well cast.
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #97
rotarykid
Just Lost My Cherry!

Default Thanks Aaron , for coming back !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrol
Good to see you all. This site is an appropriate direction for fandom. I do not like feeling uncomfortable at the thought of speaking to fans. If this site continues with the mandate put forth here my confort level would be such that I may return.
If this ever happens I must warn people about what question would go ignored.
Questions regarding schedule, story lines of the future, future scripts, production specifics and the like.
Questions pertaining to me the person, Tyrol and how I see him, the sharing of thoughts, the debate over good vs. bad and things of this nature are what I would happily discuss.
Things that are not for me to comment on I will not so don't even ask. If something were to be taken and twisted or attributed unfairly to me I would be forced to leave. That is not something I would like to do again but I cannot have what just happened happen again.
I hope you all understand and I will hopefully be speaking with you soon.
Just so you know I will not be back before an official announcement either way by Sci-fi.
It's nice to know that your still out there , I hope no one caused you too much trouble . I can say for me that it is nice to see that there are people like you out there , that honestly try to engauge his fans .

I like all kinds of SciFi and am always looking foward to the new episodes of the dead zone , SG-1 , Andromeda , Enterprise , Mutant -X , Jeramia , Joan of Arcadia , Dead Like Me , Stargate Atlantis , and most of all BSG 04

And I really did like and do miss I-Man **, Sliders * , Farscape* , Now and Again , Brimstone *, Twilight Zone , Seven Days **, The Sentinel , B5 *** , B5 Excalibar *** & Legend of the Rangers , Odesey 5 , Outer Limits , Space Above & Beyond , DS-9 , ........ I'm sure I left some really good ones off , fell free to add any that I left off .

It really seam that the shows I like the most have the shortest life

Last edited by rotarykid; February 8th, 2004 at 10:18 AM..
rotarykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #98
Fedaykin

Hello everyone,

Sorry I didn't answer your question's but it was close to three in the morning in the UK and I needed sleep.

I think BST that you make my point for me you like me have never seen the new show. Your decision to hate it is more on publicity material and draft scripts is quite childish - more so your obvious love of the old show is always going to make it bad in your mind. OK it could be horrible when I watch it but until I do I won't comment. Actually I had the reverse happen recently there was a new French film coming out and everyone was saying it was amazing but when I watched it I hated it. It's just I'm tired of people going around and banging on about why everyone should hate it and not watch it unless the ground swallow you up when they haven't even watched it!

When I first saw Katee Sackhoff apart from thinking wow she's cute (I must admit that I find the new Boomer even nicer - Grace Park) I also thought she looks like she is just out of drama school. She's been saying that she loves the old show but I suspect the first time she really sat down and watched it was just after she got the role. And that's the key point I'm trying to make she was offered the role and she accepted it as any young actor would do(you don't pass up the chance of any role in America). So put yourself in her shoes she's been given a role in a new Sci-Fi series, shes watched a few episode's learnt a bit about the character (the gender change would of been interesting to her - female actors love taking on masculine roles) and now she has to do some publicity. And then the Sh*t hits the fan, she arrives at press conferences and all sort's of vitriole is thrown at her, now more experianced actors know how to deal with that (during one fan interview Jamie Bamber very easily defused an obviously hostile fan question - talked about the spirit of man etc etc...) but she isn't and shes wondering why do you hate me? It wasn't me who decided to change the gender of the character? It wasn't me who decided to do a reimagination? I just need the work! Hardly surprising that she had about as much tact as a brick she suddenly found her self cornered and found it easier to be tough than concilitory. Given time to settle down in her role I'm sure she will be a great person.

Finally I suppose what interests me is the demographic's, as I'm 24 years old I would be part of the target demographic for this show. I suspect that I might see thing's differently to an older viewer.
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:28 AM   #99
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin

I think BST that you make my point for me you like me have never seen the new show. Your decision to hate it is more on publicity material and draft scripts is quite childish - more so your obvious love of the old show is always going to make it bad in your mind.
Perhaps you should re-read what I said. My decision was based on 'investigation' of all the information available, from a variety of sources, some of which were directly connected to the show. My decision was based on the CONTENT of the script. I didn't like the treatment given to the characters and to the concept and premise of the new show. You see, if I don't like what I read, seeing it will not suddenly make it acceptable.

There are other items, about the new show, which I did not like but, I will not go into them here. They, no doubt, would be *spoilers*.

Enjoy the show.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #100
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I think BST that you make my point for me you like me have never seen the new show. Your decision to hate it is more on publicity material and draft scripts is quite childish - more so your obvious love of the old show is always going to make it bad in your mind.
Welcome by the way. From what i remember wasnt' the show supposed to air in the UK this last week? I thought i recieved an update about that. Maybe it's this week.

Your decision to enjoy the new show is yours. If you like it more power to you. I happen to have worked on the FX and there's stuff i enjoy about it as well but i will be a true original fan until i keel over. Hopefully that's along time from now. Being your age it's understandable that you find it appealing. I guess in your shoes i might be inclined to enjoy it the same. If it goes to series then i hope you enjoy ever minute of it.

By the way, like the avatar. All the FX people are getting a flight patch like that with our 1099's.

Again welcome.

Don

Old February 8th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #101
Fedaykin

Thanks all, nice meeting you in cyber space.

As I have already said until I see it I can't say wether I will enjoy it yet. What I have seen appeals to me so far partly because it reminds me of Babylon 5. The Uk release is a week monday and on that night I will go down to my friend Mikes house and watch it with some Beer and munchies. (Mike is a fully paid up trek fan with costumes and all sorts of memrobilia but like me always enjoys the prospect of a new show).

Once I have seen it I will give my views on whats good, bad and what needs to be improved. But if I find a shows pilot episode is flawed (four pilot episodes in the case of BSG)I still believe a TV company should still give a new show a series to improve or iron out the problems. It's amazing how many shows were nearly killed off in the first series or after the pilot then went onto success once the format had been fiddled with. The new BSG pilots had some of the highest viewing figures for a new show on Sc-Fi so I suspect that they will give it a chance on at least a season - which bodes well in my mind on the quality of the show.

If I do like it I will start a thread about the new show cast, plots etc - but not to complain about it's actual existance considering all ground has been covered in that respect over the last few years. I hope the moderator will allow that thread to develop in that respect and not allow it to be hijacked by anti's.

P.S.

I know your views on the new show BST and I understand them but as I have said promotional material and draft scripts don't make up for actually sitting down and watching the show. Many a script can look poor on paper but once you have actors, music and special effects be great programs. Whilst many a great script and promotional junket can end up as a complete piece of tosh.(I will never forget the film "Reign of Fire". Adverts looked great, cast looked great, special effects looked great and the premise looked great but the film was a horrible dissapointment.)
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #102
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Welcome RotaryKid!

Old February 8th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #103
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Enjoy the show! I look forward to your review!
Sleep now
They are calling

Old February 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #104
Fedaykin

Thanks!

Tonight I'm waiting for a cool new spin off of scrapheap challenge (junkyard wars over the pond I believe) called scrappy races. 5 teams had to build cars with a budget of £1500 pounds and then drive them round the country doing different challenges each week.
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #105
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

"Junkyard Wars?" - that rings a bell. Somehow, I remember watching a show like that but, I can't remember when. Loooooooooonnnng time ago! I enjoy stuff like that (building something out of "this and that" ) - I think that's what I enjoyed the most about the A-Team. I used to get a kick out of wondering what they would build next.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old February 8th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #106
Fedaykin

A team ruled!!!

Heres the URL for Scrappy races....

http://www.channel4.com/science/micr...pheap/scrappy/
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #107
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Yep. They ruled!!

I wish one of the networks, here, would put something like those "Scrappy Races" on the air. That's something I'd enjoy.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old February 8th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #108
Fedaykin

Maybe BBC America?
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #109
Fedaykin

Oh hang on this program is on comercial TV so I doubt the BBC would pick it up.

But here in the UK the Discovery channel shows the American version of Scrapheap Challenge as well as repeats of the UK version. Maybe Discovery will do the same on your side of the pond.
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #110
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Maybe BBC America?
Hmmm, now there's a thought. I'll let you know. btw, thanks for the URL about the races. Looks like a lot of fun.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old February 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #111
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Just thought I would chime in!

I am very glad to see CF up again! I hope it will stay open and flourish again during a time when BSG is enjoying the lime light again.

As I have stated at CA, I felt CF was becoming one of thee BBs for the BSG fandom, and keeping it open was/is crucial to this fandom.

With that said, thanks to Tom, Don and Muffit for taking the effort to re-open and try and make this work for all.

Though I have been calling CA home, I shall try to be more envolved here as well from now on!

This is a great place and you guys do a great job!

Thanks!

Respectfully,

Malkyte
Malkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #112
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Welcome back Malkyte!

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #113
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Welcome back Malkyte!

And thank you for the warm welcome, Muffit!!!
Malkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #114
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrol
Good to see you all. This site is an appropriate direction for fandom. I do not like feeling uncomfortable at the thought of speaking to fans. If this site continues with the mandate put forth here my confort level would be such that I may return.
If this ever happens I must warn people about what question would go ignored.
Questions regarding schedule, story lines of the future, future scripts, production specifics and the like.
Questions pertaining to me the person, Tyrol and how I see him, the sharing of thoughts, the debate over good vs. bad and things of this nature are what I would happily discuss.
Things that are not for me to comment on I will not so don't even ask. If something were to be taken and twisted or attributed unfairly to me I would be forced to leave. That is not something I would like to do again but I cannot have what just happened happen again.
I hope you all understand and I will hopefully be speaking with you soon.
Just so you know I will not be back before an official announcement either way by Sci-fi.
Aaron,
In all the hoopla, I thought you may, perhaps catch some heat from network or production brass. If that's happened, I hope it wasn't too severe. I understand the need to keep news official though.

Take care

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #115
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Hello, My good and dear friend, Muffit...

It is good to see the site up again, and to see your inspired musings ever-present here, and abroad.

Don, thank you for reopening this site.

There are those who think that BSGTOS and BSG2003 fans cannot get along, but I think there are many sites that prove otherwise. I am glad to see that this is one of them.

BTW, where is BST. I needs to talk to him. BST, where you at, mang?

Respectfully to all, LONG LIVE BOTH GALACTICAS,
Martok2112
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #116
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

It's so good to see you again too Martok!

Long live BSG fandom!

Old February 9th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #117
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Long live BSG fandom!

Yes!
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #118
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I simply hope that we can build this site into the cornerstone everyone wants it to be. Don't get me wrong, i want everyone's views but like i've said the TOS is the way for me and i hope and pray that we'll see the true Galactica rise again.

Fedaykin, when you finish the viewing of the mini from your neck of the woods please if you have time give a general review on what you thought of it. I'd be most interested in your thoughts as well as your friends.

Thanks to all.

Don

Old February 9th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #119
Fedaykin

Hi Titon,

I'm looking forward to giving a review from my side of the pond. In the UK there was never the same kind of following of BSG than in America. There has been a nostalgic revival when it was repeated on the BBC along side Buck Rogers in the 25th century, which has lead to an explosion of merchandising. But not to the same level as America we don't get BSG conventions and the same fan following. So I feel for many a person in the UK who is Sci-Fi inclined the idea of a reimagining wasn't horrifying.

My own experiance when I found out that was going to happen was "That's Nice - Hope they give the people in this one the chance to get back to earth". My friend Mike (and Trek first all other Science Fiction second) who is older than me at 40 years was around to appreciate the original version when it came out. When I told him it was going to be reimagined his reaction was "can't wait". His and my reaction I feel is indicative of how many a British fan feels, we Know and like BSG but were never caught up enough in it to be upset at a new version. The whole spat which went on in America has really passed us by in the UK, this general feeling is expressed in the British Science Fiction press. I remember reading a report last year in Britains leading Science Fiction magazine SFX which expressed excitement on the progress of the new show but was quite miffed at the American fan reaction.

For me as a fan who had always taken a reasonable amount of interest of BSG I always found it amusing that the concept of BSG had existed since the early 70's but nobody wanted to pick it up. The release of Starwars changed all this and the show was picked up(you probably all know this but it helps my point). So I try to view the new show a different way: I try to imagine the original concept had never been picked up and made into a show and the concept was only found recently in some old box in a store room and the new show is the modern result of that concept. For me looking at the new show that way sits far better in my mind - if the original show had never existed how would a modern crew move forward the concept?

I hope this gives a better understanding on the British Sci-Fi fandom's view on the whole matter.

On another note concepts for shows can often hang around for year's. The creator of Babylon 5 James Michael Strazinski (JMS) started pushing the concept for the show in 1984. Around that time he took the concept of a Story Arc based Sci-Fi show set on a distant Space Station surrounded by hostile races to many a Studio including Paramount. Paramount turned him down as they were developing a new show called the Next Generation and didn't want another project. Years later Paramount releases a Star Trek the Next Generation spin off Deep Space Nine. We were told it would be a Story Arc based show set on a distant space station surrounded by hostile races (hmmm?). A year after DS9 was released Babylon 5 was released and you won't believe the amount of times I've had Trek fans tell me B5 was a rip off of DS9. I try to explain to them that B5's concept predates DS9 by nearly 10 years and DS9 is probably a rip off B5's concept - but they are a stubburn lot....KAPPLAA....

Whilst I'm on the subject of B5 it's interesting to know that show was actually very succesful in the UK. This was partly down to the story arc concept being quite appealing to a UK audiance but also to the fact that unlike America where is was burried on small cable channel it was shown at a sensible time on one of Britains four main channels. Another amusing fact was that until series four B5 was shown in the UK before the US. This was because it was filmed in Britain making it a British show technically, alot of the minor cast members or aliens often had a English accent. At the start of Season Four a different American cable company took on funding the show and the production company went ahead as usual and started showing it in the UK first. When the new cable company found out they were not best pleased, I had a disscusion with one of the British crew members who explained to me that one day they got an order to stop releasing the show to a British channel first. Apparently the American cable company felt that as it was an American show financed with American money it had to be shown in the US first. So half way through that series run in the UK it was halted and we had to wait for the American channel to catch up.

See Yah
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #120
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
A year after DS9 was released Babylon 5 was released and you won't believe the amount of times I've had Trek fans tell me B5 was a rip off of DS9. I try to explain to them that B5's concept predates DS9 by nearly 10 years and DS9 is probably a rip off B5's concept - but they are a stubburn lot....KAPPLAA....
Good luck w/ that argument. I have a few friends that believe the sun rises and sets on Trek.

Have fun watching the mini across the pond!