Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #31
Tibbetts
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
SteveW: you have another G80 ally!
(Dragon, the last time I said anything about G80, Steve chased me down with smilies.
:lol: Now why did he do that?

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #32
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Dvo! And thank you!

Don't be worried, you are right, I am what most would call pretty viceless, including not ever having gambled (and ergo what some would probably call /boring/ ). But I cannot exist if I do not live in the world, and the world is full of concepts and pasttimes much the contrary of me. If I do not do them, I still cannot help but be aware of them, and make a joke from time to time with expressions and content those more secular can identify.

And when it comes to CF, I will gladly play red and black and every digit in between, so that its roulette heart will land on win for me.

Affectionately,
Muffit

P.S. Shiningstar, now that CF is striving back to life and my heart is getting lighter because of it, I hope those pesky beavers will light a bulb in me again that I can share with you.
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #33
Antelope

I was very upset when I saw Colonial Fleets closed. I think it is at Colonial Fleets where we had the peaceful medium. I looked at some other sites and truth be told the conversations were shoe horned. That is how I ended up here as my primary Galactica site in the first place. We are at a time of action for the franchise. Things are finally happening. Where it goes I or anyone can only speculate. We can express our desires but more powerful forces will make the ultimate choices. We need to quit worrying about people's anger one way or another. The truth is time heals most wounds. I subscribe to the "The future is good or it will fade away." If the new versions (mini/continuation/Pegasus etc.) of Galactica are ever made are any good they will increase a fan base who will come to the board. Most discusion will center on these new versions. If the versions are no good their fan base will fade away and things will center back to the original versions. As you can tell from most Galactica sites however most of the older fans have said what they said many times so there are few new post on the older subjects. Most post on TOS were from people new to the site or from older members answering the questions of the newer ones. The new version (in this case the mini) was giving a new audience for the older members to explain the intricacies of TOS. I think we had new life blown into the boards since the mini came out.

I think Colonial fleets should have a forum for each version and forums for any new projects in the works. I think we should have a TOS forum, a Battlestar1980 forum, a mini or mini based series forum, a forum for the current Desanto project, and a cafe. Put a written synopsis of each episode or project at the start of the forums. Let the fans post their thread topics and let the fans drive the discussion. If things interest the fans it will be discussed. If they don't care it will fade away. I saw the rhetoric dramatically shrink from a shrill to a civil tone over the past 2 months. I think this is because many who want to kill the mini universe have made their statements and are accepting what power we have to change things. I think the current feelings are simply the last bits of hard anger being released by those who believe a "greenlight" ends their Galactica. As such I think Colonial Fleets shut down just when things were about to get much better. I also think that the issues that shut down Colonial Fleets were things written at other sites not here. I say, "Who cares what they say at cylon.org or SCIFI, or any other Battlestar site. All I care is that everyone gets along here and we all seem to."

This is a long reply but my bottom line is that I have a lot of friends here I didn't have 90 days ago. Colonial Fleets is a wonderful place filled with wonderful people. Those I consider my friends seem evenly split between TOS/mini fans and TOS only fans. I even see that a few people even liked a few episodes of BSG1980 (I liked three). We met at all the different forums. Bring the fleets back so we can all come home.

My one advice for anyone who can't bring themselves to like one or more version of Battlestar (We now have THREE realities): Colonial Fleets put a Star Gate forum on near the end. It is definitely not Battlestar Galactica .... but nobody cared! Those that wanted to discuss SG1 went in and a good time was had by those there. If you don't want to talk about something or don't care about it no one is forcing you into a forum. We can all meet in the cafe if we want to talk about life or socialize. Personally I wouldn't mind bumping into someone at the BSG1980 forum once or twice a year and laughing about the cylons at the New Years party in NYC.
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #34
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I'm looking forward to it Muffit. Take care.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #35
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Shiningstar, welcome back

Affectionately,
Old February 6th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #36
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lord
:lol: Now why did he do that?

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
I said something about G80, and said I was running before he or Peter Noble caught me. So he chased me with the bash or hack smilies :laugh:

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #37
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

To Don and Tom,

Forums are cool, and forums are h_ll. I've run them, and visited them for years. Colonial Fleets is one of the very best. I have made so many friends here, including you both. I don't want to see it end.

This site is THE hub for Battlestar Galactica fans of all kinds to communicate. As with all forms of communication between people, there are going to be good and bad times. BSG may have been just a TV show, but it hit upon a great formula, and a great cast. The miniseries has its fans, as does the original. They both have some passionate followers that sometimes get into heated arguments. I hope that a little heat in the kitchen doesn't cause the loss of the best forum on the web.

Sincerely,

Ken Thomson Jr.
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #38
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Default What else can I add?

I can't add much. Two pages of (paraphrasing) "CF is a great site with fun boards. We miss it and hope it's back to stay". To say it again is merely another drop in the proverbial bucket.

I'm gonna say it anyway. When I finally decided to leave the Skiffy board, this is where I came first. I liked it. People made me feel welcome. The boards were easy to navigate. The discussions were lively and intelligent. I stayed. I was looking forward to earning my avatar.

Then the site closed. I found out what the people of the "ragtag fleet" felt. I was a refugee. No home. Friends and acquaintences scattered across the internet. Frankly, it sucked.

Please, re-open CF. To me it was a sheltered island in the tempest of BSG fandom. Nobody else had the cojones to have a real BSG board (Scifi's doesn't count) where fans of ALL versions were welcome. And for the most part, we got along. BSG needs sites and boards like CF.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to tell you how we feel.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #39
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Welcome Warhammerdriver ........I like your nickname
Old February 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #40
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
Welcome Warhammerdriver ........I like your nickname
Ditto!
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #41
avalonmistmoon
Bad Email Address

Cool

I'm not very eloquent so this will probably short but the only reason I came to CF was because of the reimagining of Battlestar Galactica. I do like the TOS and always will be a fan of the original Commander Adama, Apollo and who can forget our sexy Starbuck but I love the mini series!

I have never been so excited about a pending new series as I have about BSG03. I can't wait and look forward to spoilers on the new episodes of BSGO3. I can't wait to read and make comments on the new episodes of BSG03. How fun it is to share thoughts and comments on BSG. I was hoping this would be the place to do it. I've became member of CF after the airing of BSG03 and I believe because of the mini series CF will have many more members.

Wait till the Brits see BSG03 and you'll have that much more fans. I'm a member of several Stargate threads and the Brits are such wonderful and good fans. I believe BSG03 will air in Britain on Feb 16th & 17th.

So I was so crushed when CF closed because I sooooo enjoyed your forum and never felt intimidated by the TOS fans. Please stay because a lot more fans will become members especially when the Brits invade this forum.

I look forward to many discussions on the board and I missed ya terribly. And I was a member I believe for a little over a month.

Please.....stay.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commander Adama: "We're in a middle of a WAR and you're taking orders from a school teacher!".
avalonmistmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #42
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

H e l l o W a r r i o r ! ! !

*Daggit purrs*... wait! Do daggits purr? :laugh:

Old February 6th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #43
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
*Daggit purrs*... wait! Do daggits purr? :laugh:

An unofficial, semi-scientific, completely uneducated guess would have to quite probably say, "maybe, maybe not."

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #44
amberstar
Strike Leader

It is good to see you Warrior!

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #45
RommieSG
Bad Email Address

I am a lurker at best, when it comes here to Colonial Fleets. But when I see the possibility of a board closing for the reasons that it might, it breaks my heart.

I was on a board called Slipstream, that was dedicated to Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. That board closed in January of 2003, due to the Administration couldn't take the heat from their members anymore. They packed up their ball and went home.

So when I see another board turn down the possibility of closing down for any sort of reason, it hits a soft spot within my psyche. There aren't many places to discuss BSG with the type of community that this board has. And to see it crumble, it just hurts.

The community of Slipstream stuck together, and we formed a board entitled Ex Isle. But where would this community go? Would we all drift apart? I certainly hope that we never have to ask ourselves that question.

Rommie
RommieSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #46
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
An unofficial, semi-scientific, completely uneducated guess would have to quite probably say, "maybe, maybe not."

Ah, you watch Discovery Channel too! :laugh:

Old February 6th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #47
CmdrCain

Default What Happened?

Sorry if an explanation is posted somewhere, but I didn't see it.

I haven't been a member here very long, but I was more than just a little glad to come across an active Galactica discussion forum. Then I had to be offline for awhile due to a family situation, and when I come back I find CF looking like a ghost town in comparison to what it was before.

What happened? Why is everything closed down?
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #48
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

We are back!!! er... sorta... :confused:

Please bring it back. As Ken said, we do occassionally get in heated discussions, but we still come back to our senses... uhm well some of us do. I did! :shy:

But this place is more than just a forum, its a place to go and hang out. And I have met so many friends here, and some are even considered family. It would be a shame to lose this wonderful and fun place. As a moderator, I vow to keep a better track on forums.

To Aaron, it is great to see you are still with us here. And if we get back up and running again, and if they start bugging you with all those "can't answer questions..." and if they get too hostile... let any of us moderators know (if we haven't kept an eye on it) and we will come in and rescue you - if you want us to.

Please let us bring the Colonial Fleets back to her once known glory. A place to talk, a place to hang out, a place to feel like you fit in somewhere in this world.

Kristi
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #49
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default I may be optimistic....

I may be optimistic, but here on the west coast there is only 1 hour left in the day and I think that CF has had a wonderful test run so far. I have had so much fun today - I'm so glad I coincidentally had the day off to take advantage of it. I was so thrilled this morning when I saw that I had gotten a CF message in my e-mail - I hadn't seen one in a while and was wondering if I ever would again. I've gotten so many more today - it has really been a joy for me!

Here's to a happy future for us all

Best to all (both old and new faces!)
Bryan
________
Dan gurney
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #50
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

My heart is full of thanks to all who made this day possible. This daggit will sleep sweetly tonight, knowing its friends are now just a few Mbps away...

Old February 6th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #51
somefrigginguy

Okay, that's it!

I sign up here and all is groove.

I disappear for a few days and the place gets taken down.

I get depressed thinking it's something I said, or maybe that I need to change my cologne or something.

I disappear again, thinking all is lost, and, on a lark, I check the URL again. It's back up.

Now I'm CONVINCED that it was taken down so you all could hide from me and you only brought it back when you thought I had given up looking.

Well, it didn't work. You're back, I'm back and you aren't getting rid of me that easy.

Seriously, though: Glad the place is back on line.
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #52
CrysWimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrol
If something were to be taken and twisted or attributed unfairly to me I would be forced to leave. That is not something I would like to do again but I cannot have what just happened happen again.
I hope you all understand and I will hopefully be speaking with you soon.
Just so you know I will not be back before an official announcement either way by Sci-fi.
Thanks, Aaron, for dropping by - even for a single post - to let us know you're still with us. I hope we see a great deal more of you in the future, and that you feel comfortable enough with us to say, "sorry - can't talk about that," as necessary. I think that's something we can all respect. Each of us have parts of our jobs that we can't publicly comment on, and most of understand both the need for discretion and the desire to share what you know. Please bear with us as we figure out that line, and don't ever be afraid to tell us, "no comment." It's your right - and just like we respect you, we have to have respect for that.

As for CF - I'm beyond glad to see it back. I've tried the other boards, and I just never fit in. I've tried the lists, and the battles are all the same. I don't think there's anything going on here that isn't going on elsewhere, but I don't know that this is a good thing. I do know that the day I clicked my link (one that lives on my toolbar, because I use to so much) and came to nothing - well, it worried me. Not so much because a forum was gone, but because I've made a lot of friends here, and I know how much work it takes to put something so wonderful together. Not only is CF well loved, but it's obviously well designed. That doesn't happen without a lot of time and effort, and to see that lost was devistating to me. From owner to manager to moderators - y'all just do an amazing job, and it hurt to see that effort lost.

I'm very glad to be back, and hope desperately that the forum stays open. It's the best there is, and I stand by that statement.

Thanks for giving us all a second chance... now, let's not waste it!

-Crys-
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #53
JLHurley
Warrior

Ahhhhh...Colonial Fleets seemingly up and running...

All is right in the world (or at least in my little part of it).
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #54
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Welcome home Jlhurley .............glad you could make it
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #55
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Welcome back Crys.
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #56
N~still
On Vacation...

It's so good you are back CF; I did love this format and it seems friendlier here; but because RL can be the way it is; I must observe for my self a NE/CS period; or no electronics creative silence time in my life; you know when you've had too much of something and you are burned out and you need that distance? Well, it's time for that for me.

I hope you will be here when you get back!

Oh and I hope A finds the balance he wants here.

N~Still signing off
N~still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #57
Patricia

Default It's so nice to be here again!

It's SO nice to be back here, enveloped in your gorgeous graphics!

I hope you'll stay. I was new, but found that I really missed this place amazingly. And seeing a post from Aaron was such a relief--I never actually saw whatever brouhaha it was that drove him away, but thank the gods he's reconsidered and this time set some firm guidelines, too.

Pat
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #58
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Patricia! Welcome back!

Old February 7th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #59
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

Default I like it

Man, I missed this board. Nothing like browsing this place and seeing the email notifications.

Here is hoping the fleets stays. I'll drinking ona these

Anyone else want one?
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #60
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Hi N'still welcome home .............. Hi Patricia welcome home