Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 24th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #1
AlphaNova
Shuttle Pilot

Default I'm totally amazed

To see the day that SciFi.com announced that they are no longer allowing people to debate a continuation vs. a reimagining. It's clear they are very much afraid that the reimagining won't do well, and want their own bboard to promote the reimagining.

There can no longer be any doubt that the whole purpose of the moderated board is to promote the Ron Moore production. I would expect that sometime soon they will probably announce that comments about the classic series are no longer allowed either.

My own feeling is that the new media needs to get ahold of this story. This is one of the worst cases of censorship I have ever heard of. I think the news media would have a field day with a story like this. SciFi.com has effectively announced that they won't permit any comments from fans being posted that express their desire for a continuation of the series rather than a remake. I can't think of a worse P.R. move a company could make for a production to state publically that they won't allow any more comments about how a continuation would be better than a remake.

Does anyone have any contacts that could get the press involved in this?:colwar:
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #2
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Alpha my friend plans are in the work, but we must remain quiet about anything and everything we do.

We are being watched.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Does anyone have a link to where they announced this? I wanna read it!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #4
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Here's the text

Dear Battlestar Galactica BBoard Members,

Thank you for your feedback on our new, moderated BBoard system. We're continuing to work out the kinks based on your comments, and we appreciate your suggestions as to how we can improve.

To answer your most frequent question: We chose the Battlestar Galactica BBoard on which to test the new system because it's one of our busiest boards and because it's received the most complaints from you, the fans, about inappropriate content.

In addition to our moderating the board, we ask that you please keep the discussion on topic. This board was created to discuss both the classic series and SCI FI's new miniseries, which is a re-imagining of the original. The debate about a re-imagining vs. a continuation has run its course, and new articles on the subject won't be posted.

Battlestar Galactica is currently filming in Vancouver, B.C., and is scheduled to air in December 2003. We welcome discussion about it.

Thank You,

SCIFI.COM Staff

Here's the URL:

http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?aid=944

and note:

"The debate about a re-imagining vs. a continuation has run its course, and new articles on the subject won't be posted."

and

"Battlestar Galactica is currently filming in Vancouver, B.C., and is scheduled to air in December 2003. WE WELCOME DISCUSSION ABOUT IT."

So what do you make of it thomas?

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #5
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

We're being shut out, so when newbies go looking for info from a Google search they won't find voices of dissent on the board.

If Starlog and other Fanzines don't write about this they are worthless.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #6
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

Just when I thought it was impossible for that board to shock me anymore.

You can look back now and see the vast SciFi/Moore PR machine rev up. First, after years of never having a single post deleted, the moderators crawled out from under their stone and began deleting the most extremely offensive posts (which was good). This went on for a few months, then the bboard changed over to its new Ultra-moderation ways a week or two ago. Now this. It truly astonishes me, even though I know they play dirty.

Looks like we may have our old pal Langy to blame for some of this. "...it's one of our busiest boards and because it's received the most complaints from you, the fans, about inappropriate content." My guess is at least 50% of all complaints were about you-know-who. Hammer used his posts as an excuse to point out continuation fans' warped thinking. Now they've used the dozens or even hundreds of complaints that must have been filed against him as an excuse to test their pre-read posting policy. I think just using the word "continuation" will be an offense pretty soon. Also, I expect the recently archived section to disappear. 13,000 posts there, 11,000 of which were about continuation vs remake.

"Battlestar Galactica is currently filming in Vancouver, B.C., and is scheduled to air in December 2003. We welcome discussion about it."

If this isn't a subtle instruction, I don't know what is. You might say they're "encouraging" fan promotion of the mini. Pretty soon they will demand it, or at least censor anything that disagrees with their plans.

Their moderators are going to be especially busy from now on. They probably brought a whole staff of them onboard just for the new BG bboard.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I plan to make a new forum. Any thread that is deleted there will be archived here. So keep a record of your deleted posts folks! Record time and date of your posting.

We are a living testament to the heart and soul of GALACTICA!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:44 AM   #8
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter2000
and note:

"The debate about a re-imagining vs. a continuation has run its course, and new articles on the subject won't be posted."

and

"Battlestar Galactica is currently filming in Vancouver, B.C., and is scheduled to air in December 2003. WE WELCOME DISCUSSION ABOUT IT."
Well.

This does make me rather glad that I've never signed up for these particular boards. Whether or not they have the right to do it, they shouldn't do it.

An oxymoron this - a discussion board wothout discussion.

Appalling.:evil:
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #9
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Agelastus,

This is just the tip of the iceberg on what the real BSG fans has to put up with.

Try reading his open letter to the fans.

Note his comment to the fans about going to the pop corn isle.

Does this sound like the work of a profesional producer who should be reaching out to the fans?

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/bios/index.html

and click on letter from Ronald D Moore on the left side of the page!

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #10
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Also this is a post from Ron himself.

This is only a theory but we think that they archived this post because too many negitive replies poured in.

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/531/349

Note that 90 diferent people from all over the web responded.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:39 AM   #11
Agelastus
Warrior

"We've eaten a lot of popcorn over the years."

Given he's come mainly from Star Trek, I thought that was quite amusing, Scooter2000. I don't believe he's very good at irony though.

Still, I had overlooked (until his bio reminded me) how deeply involved in DS9 he was - a small point in his favour given that series was the only thing that made Star Trek watchable in the few years.

As for the second posting. Predictable defence on his part. The responses were more interesting however (not that I read them all.)
"I despise you RDM"? "May the Lords of Cobol forgive you"? ["Cobol" spelt incorrectly, at least by standard BG, I notice.]

He is producing a horrible show, by all accounts - but I would imagine the majority of users would prefer a more civilised board. Although I;ll criticise them for current censorship I won't criticise them for stopping responses to that posting - it was getting well out of hand.