Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old November 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Review of Resident Evil 4 for PS2

VIDEOGAME: RESIDENT EVIL 4
DEVELOPER: CAPCOM
PUBLISHER: CAPCOM
SYSTEMS: PS2
RATING: (M) MATURE for: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Language

Graphics: 5/5
Sound: 5/5
Control: 4.5/5
Story: 5/5
Endorphin Factor: 5/5
Frustration Factor: 4/5

Scoring system:
Average: 4.75/5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: RESIDENT EVIL 4 on GAMECUBE, GAMECUBE VERSIONS OF RESIDENT EVIL and RESIDENT EVIL Zero.

DETAILS: Capcom rolls out another hit in the Resident Evil series that actually seems to promise to revitalize it. This game is FRACKING BEAUTIFUL!!! You take up the role of Leon S. Kennedy, who was one of two main playable characters in Resident Evil 2 (PS1, Sega DreamCast, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube). The other character was Claire Redfield (younger sister of Chris Redfield from Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I hope we get another game with Claire (besides Code Veronica).

Anyhoo, Leon has moved onto bigger and better things since his one-day stint as a Racoon City police newbie in RE2. He is assigned to a Presidential Task Force, and his first mission is to find the President's missing daughter, Ashley. He happens upon a village in some Euro-Latino country, and it turns out that the villagers do not quite feel like giving him a warm welcome (unless its his own warm blood gushing out all over the place.) He starts out armed only with his standard issue automatic pistol, and it would seem that all weapons in this game are equipped either with laser sights, or deadly accurate scopes. He procures other weapons along the way, either by finding them in various buildings, or by purchasing them from a mysterious merchant who seems to have a lot of weaponry to offer. You also collect Pias (the currency of this country) along the way which allow you to buy these weapons off the merchant. The first thing you should buy is the treasure map, as it points out many valuable objects you can pick up to sell to the merchant, scoring even more money for weaponry, and weapons upgrades. Yes, in this game, you can actually upgrade your weapons (even moreso than what the rest of the RE series offerred before.)

The environment seems much more interactive, and it is shown from an over the shoulder view of Leon, or whichever character you control at certain points in the game. (Ada Wong, also a side character in RE2, appears again in this game, and apparently there is a five chapter mission that you can unlock for her after you beat this game with Leon.) You also have the ability to perform context sensitive actions when the correct button appears. For example, you might be able to walk up to a waist high fence, and the prompt appears, permitting you to jump the fence. Or jump out a window, or climb/throwdown a ladder, look, check, etc. There are still some barriers that you cannot cross (uber thick foliage, and the like) but the environment is still pretty much worth exploring. There are also sub-missions you can pick up along the way.

Graphically and soundwise, this game is sheer perfection. Having never seen the GameCube version before (which I understand is still slightly graphically superior to this version), I give this one full marks. The characters and environments are beautifully rendered. The sounds, which includes music, dialogue, gunshots, blood spatters, heads exploding, etc are the best of ANY RE game I've ever played. And whaddaya know, the voice actors really sound good in this game. (Although I did like the voice acting in RE2, RE Code Veronica, and the GameCube remakes of RE, and it's prequel RE:0.)

The controls are very intuitive, and although they're not quite what I am used to in a Resident Evil game, I can usually deal out some good firepower and zombie kicking.

It also seems to have other RPG'esque elements to it....such as being able to increase your maximum health through the use of herbal medicines. This game introduces the Yellow herb, which doesn't do anything on its own, but when combined with a green herb (or a green/red combo) increases your maximum health in addition to healing you.

You can also break open certain wooden boxes and barrels which may or may not hold some goodies, and/or a surprise or two. You can use your knife (always on hand) to bust these boxes/barrels open, but just be careful. That's all I'll say.

Sometimes when you kill the local villagers (who are NOT zombies, but they are possessed by some powerful drug which seems to make them willing killers of complete strangers) they will drop goodies like health herbs, ammunition, or even money.

I just got through my first boss fight, and that was interesting. (Veterans of the GameCube version of this game know of what I speak...but I'll spare any newbies from spoilers.)

The game restores the haunting essence of the Resident Evil series line, and even takes it over the edge. Very moody and atmospheric, and you are always wondering if there is an enemy around the next bend, or in the next room. Is your ammunition well stocked? How's your health?

If you've never played RE4 before, and have a PS2 or a GameCube, I recommend the PS2 version far over the original (since it seems to have come with a ton more bells and whistles than its GC brother.) I am glad that I held off until the PS2 version came out.

BOTTOM LINE: Resident Evil is back. And it's bigger, badder, and bloodier than ever. Why haven't you picked this masterpiece up yet?!! Git goin'! Git!! Git!!!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Addendum to some of the niceties of Resident Evil 4.

Remember in the older RE games where, if you died, you better pray that your last save was not too long ago, otherwise you may have hours of catch up playing just to get to where you were?

Not so in RE4. RE4 makes use of checkpoints. Especially where major boss battles are concerned. If you die in a boss fight, you can opt to continue (although it might lessen your score) from right where you begin the fight, with all the weapons you had when you started the last fight. Definitely balances out the frustration factor.

Also, there are even some interactive cutscenes in the game. If you are in a fight with another character during a cutscene, or you might happen upon some obstacles, you will be prompted to hit either L1+L2, or square and X to dodge. Kinda like Dragon's Lair in days of old.

A couple of very nice touches indeed. This game rocks.

Hint: Get a rocket launcher whenever you can....those single use weapons will take out most enemies, even bosses with a single hit. I make it a point to keep a rocket launcher on me at any possible time, and I hold off using it until a boss fight.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Oh, word of warning:

Do not save game files of RE4 on anything other than a standard 8MB memory card. Cards with higher capacities tend to corrupt the files as soon as you save.

Respectfully,
Martok2112