Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

View Poll Results: How Much Did Galactica 1980 Hurt the Original Show's Legacy?
1 - Didn't hurt at all 1 5.00%
2 - Hurt a bit, like being told your socks don't match 6 30.00%
3 - Hurt noticeably, like getting a severe wedgie from one of your enemies 3 15.00%
4 - Hurt big time, like stumbling down a flight of stairs with a cup of hot coffee in your hand 4 20.00%
5 - The hurt of all hurts, your parachute didn't open and you fell onto a bed of rusty nails and the first person to come to your aid was an IRS auditor 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #1
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Default How Much Did Galactica 1980 Hurt Battlestar Galactica's Reputation?

Just watching some of the tape I made of yesterday's Galactica 1980 marathon. I knew it was terrible, but I haven't seen it since its first airing and I had to watch. Well, turns out I can't watch. It's unwatchable, period. I won't go into all the reasons why. I think we all know them.

On a scale of 1 to 5 -- 5 being the most damage, 1 being the least -- how much do you think this spinoff damaged the real show's legacy?

Last edited by RGrant; March 8th, 2003 at 11:43 AM..
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #2
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

Caught a small bit too - I came in on the scene where they help the jews escape from the train. It was so poorly written (and acted) that I was glad not many recall this version of BSG.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #3
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I totally missed it, I thought it was today instead of yesterday.

RGrant, would you be willing to send me your tape in exchange for a blank?

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #4
guittarjedi

I watched my tape of G80 and it's not that bad. Surprisingly it had some cool moments. I liked the "simulation" of the cylons attacking California and the streaking effect when the vipers hit turbo to time travel. The beginning sequence of Super Scouts when the cylons attack was exciting. I'd rather watch G80 than newer shows like the completely unwatchable Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Hercules and Xena or Enterprise. Of course the original is light years above G80 and I would have preferred that it continued but it didn't and now Ron Moore is going to unleash something far worse than Galactica 1980.

Last edited by guittarjedi; March 8th, 2003 at 01:50 PM..
Old March 8th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer" unwatchable, WHAT! excuse me? Look we all got shows we don't like but come on, who are you trying to kid here. 7 seasons amount to something regardless if you don't like it or not, lets not get all silly because were fans of Galactica.

Yeah i do agree with the hold Enterprise thing on your list but lets not get out of hand because were fans of Battlestar Galactica O.K. G80 is bad yeah some SFX i wish were in the original BG or were apart of a second season of BG but face it the worse episode in any of the TV series you've mentioned would be watched by far more people than any episode of G80 period.

There are plenty of show i don't like but rate them below G80 is not a good move for any fan to say in all honesty. The term "fanatic" might come to mind if not careful.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #6
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I liked G80 :uhdrop:
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #7
guittarjedi

I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers but for the past 10 years I haven't seen any sci fi shows worth watching, except for maybe Smallville. I've always considered the late 70's and early 80's to be the golden age of sci fi. This lack of current quality sci fi has strengthened my love for shows like BSG and Buck Rogers. Even a so called bad show made during the golden age is more entertaining to me than the so called good shows of the past 10 years.
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I loved B5 and SG1 is great
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #9
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Little Damage Although Sci-Fi Tried

Not much damage, old time fans who watched from the begining knew it was bad...real bad. Newbie's who found our great show are web savy, internet searches of Galactica 1980 would yield "it was crap...no no worse than crap, I would rather smather a hot steamy loaf upon my face while listening to Stu Phillips score and then...er perhaps I've gone to far". Nah, no damage!
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 05:10 AM   #10
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Hi guys!

Sorry but this Hurt the show a lot I think, while I was in grammer school,6th grade,the G 80 premier was up against The Martian Cronicles and I remember grade school kids and even my homeroom teacher telling me how awful G 80 was, and I had to agree with them. I think most of my friends were schocked that I was not defending Galactica as I always did (the original mind you) and stopped hounding me about it,they probably though they won,or broke me, or whatever kids do to other kids that they find odd or diffent.
Years later when I met up with several students in highschool they would ask me if I still like "BatteSHIP Galactica" then lay into me how bad the motocycles, were and cylons getting fried by a microwave,they would even point out SpaceBall and the kids jumpin in slow motion and how a ripoff it was from The Six Million Dollar Man etc,etc...

Kids can be tough little bastards.

So I watched G 80 each week and remember feeling like this is a nightmare, it was so bad. Yes there are a few good things about it but I wont go into that,we all know that in any bad production, Film,Animation or otherwise there are always something positive to point out.

But I am absolutley certain that I will not purchase this title when and if it arrives on DVD.
I'm surprised it nevre wound up on Mystery Science Theater 3000!

Crow:Well if thay have all this Time Travel technology why dont they go back home and stop the war with the cylons before it ever happened?

T.Servo:Then there would be no one to call Galactica a rippoff of starwars 'cause it never aired on ABC tv you dolt.

Crow:Ohhh, I see producers would never allow technology to undermine their chances to make tons of money, Gotcha!

Nelson: Guy"s movies on....

Rich.
Old March 9th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #11
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I didn't watch but a few minutes of G80 - except for the last episode - so all I know is how bad the beginning was. I couldn't stand to watch it. I don't know how it has hurt BSG but Hammer and Moore have used it to further their arguement for a remake. But G80 wasn't a continuation as they state, it was merely a nightmare.

Overall it may have done some harm, but on the other hand it showed how good TOS was by comparison.
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Most BG fans ignored G:80. Only the Moore/Hammer fanatics have really made it an issue.

The sole exception was the Starbuck episode which was head and shoulders above the rest.
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #13
Erzengel

Psychologically damaging to one's mind. I'd much rather jump from a plane wiithout a parachute, land onto a bed of rusty nails, and have the first person to coming to my aid be an IRS auditor then to watch that... words can't describe... god awful reject from... the opposite of heaven... show again....

I don't know which is worst. The fact that it was made, or the fact that sci-fi still has it in thier archives and are willing to subject thier audence to that kind of abuse.
Old March 10th, 2003, 05:34 AM   #14
GuitarEC

G80?? what's that??:confused:

Old March 11th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #15
KJ
Strike Leader

Well Blue Mule i can safely say, even though kid can be brats. They never hated Battlestar Galactica when i was growing up. In fact over here alot of people remember BG and loved it. And if some joker at school didn't like it they got the argument of a lifetime and then some. if anything we always talked about how it got worse when they found Earth!

Although now the general consenus is, G1980 ain't even Battlestar Galactica period. As good as "The Return of Starbuck" is it ain't canon either otherwise Galactica 1980 would be too, so no it ain't either.

Should this remake come about then people will say 1 out of 3 is bad?

Classic BG

Galactica 1980

2003 (puh) Galactica

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM   #16
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default It hurt and badly

G-1980 started off good and ended badly. This is omitting the Return of Starbuck episode. The finale was watching Troy, Dillon, and the Super scouts jumping up in the air to spread seeds while the children sang a song.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #17
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: It hurt and badly

G80 didn't hurt at all. I know very few people who actually consider that show to be Battlestar Galactica.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #18
Philloz

Default Hurt it? It KILLED Galactica.

G80 was the final nail in the coffin for Galactica for the next 20 years or so, it was so bad ... the show was cheap, rushed to air and devoid of any lasting value except for "The Return of Starback," which was a recycled script for the lost 2nd season. Richard Lynch had some decent moments as Xavier, but the rest of the cast was adrift ... the production was slapped together so quickly you could see Lorne Greene plainly reading off-camera cue cards for his lines, which he NEVER did in the first season (through you can see Lew Ayres do it in the pilot and Fred Astaire do it in "The Man With Nine Lives.")
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #19
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Very damaging

It was very damaging. RDM used G1980 as part of his arguement as to why a continuation is a bad idea and why his remake was "good".

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #20
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

You can also argue that doing something that doesn't follow the original show and has a majority of the original cast in it won't be very successful.

Peter

P.S. I still love it when the Anti-Gravity Lightship comes down in The Super Scouts, but then that's just me...and probably Stevew!
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #21
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

What G-80 reminds me of is that last song you hear on the radio before you turn the car off. No matter if you like the song or not, it's stuck in your head, for a while.

:thumbdwn: (And for the record, I didn't care for any of the G-80 episodes except "The Return of Starbuck"). The other episodes were a complete waste of time and money.

Keepin' the faith,

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote