Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM   #1
agent404

Default what's your favorite system

What's everyone's favorite videogame system?
I like Xbox the best. I think it's graphics are the best and it has good game variety as well as some good exclusive games you won't find on gamecube or PS2 like Jedi academy and Halo.
Feel free to voice your opinions but don't simply bash another console just to start a "system war" if you know what I mean.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM   #2
gunnerk19
Bad Email Address

Default Favorite system...

Mine would be the Tatooine system.

Wha-? huh?

Ohhh, THAT kinda system...

Heck, I dunno, all I have is an old PS1, but it's good enough for shoot'em up games; BTW, anyone seen the new handheld units that plug into your TV's A/V jacks? Games for us old timers- Donkey Kong, Centipede, Asteroids, etc... It's either K-mart or Wally world that has them...

Oh, I almost forgot...
Welcome to the boards!
gunnerk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I woudn't say that I have a "favorite" system at this point... I bought a PS2 when I got the BSG game and it is my first game system. I'm pretty happy with the graphics, controls, etc... I did give a copy of the BSG game to a friend for his birthday and he has the XBox system. I am a bit curious to see how it plays on that system just to do a comparison. Even if the XBox is a superior sustem, I'll just stick to the PS2 as that is the choice I made and don't usually buy new toys to replace ones I already have.

On whichever system...I'm sure that BSG is still a blast to play...!

Best,
Bryan
________
Terrorism Insurance Dicussion
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Favorite system...

Quote:
Originally posted by gunnerk19
Mine would be the Tatooine system.

Wha-? huh?

Ohhh, THAT kinda system...

Heck, I dunno, all I have is an old PS1, but it's good enough for shoot'em up games; BTW, anyone seen the new handheld units that plug into your TV's A/V jacks? Games for us old timers- Donkey Kong, Centipede, Asteroids, etc... It's either K-mart or Wally world that has them...

Oh, I almost forgot...
Welcome to the boards!
LOL Gunnerk!!! I actually have one of those handheld Atari games that plug right into the TV. Got it from Avon, but I hear it's all around now. It's the 2600 version but I've heard of several others, even Intellivision. It's really great but they made one boo-boo - they included several paddle games. Egads, no way to play those with a stick.

My fav system? Hmm. gotta admit I don't really like any system made after joysticks went kaput; I grew up on right handed digital joysticks and cannot for the life of me get used to left handed chiclet controllers (every system since NES). In the days before 14 gazillion buttons on the controller, I used to make my own home-made joysticks for systems like NES, so at least I had a chance of surviving (and conversely, I modified NES controllers to work on Atari systems so that my nieces and nephews could play against me).

I think my fav was the Atari 800, although in its day I truly loved the 2600 too. Never liked polygon based machines cuz bitmapped monsters look so much more real (I always call modern polygon monsters "shrink-wrapped tinkertoys" LOL ), and of course the blasted left handed controllers frustrate me to no end. *sigh*

Guess I'm just an old timer now, LOL!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 04:41 AM   #5
spot778

Xbox
Dreamcast
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #6
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Xbox cuz it has my KOTOR and jedi academy and other SW games. and my computer. =)
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

BAH! XBOX!!!!

Tommy hates XBOX cause Microsoft wants to control over your entertainment. Nothing illegal, but competition is a good thing.

PS2 myself. Before that had a PS1 and a saturn.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #8
amberstar
Strike Leader

Saturn was cool Tom. I remember my brother playing Tom Cat Alley, what a great game!
I'd have to go with the PS2. I just hate to wait while the games load, but the graphics are good and the buttons easy to opperate

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #9
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

I loved the ole' Dreamcast. Still have it along with the few games they made for it. I own a PS2,GC, and XBOX and love them all. I still lean towards my Dreamcast.
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #10
bsg1fan1975
Major

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
LOL Gunnerk!!! I actually have one of those handheld Atari games that plug right into the TV. Got it from Avon, but I hear it's all around now. It's the 2600 version but I've heard of several others, even Intellivision. It's really great but they made one boo-boo - they included several paddle games. Egads, no way to play those with a stick.

My fav system? Hmm. gotta admit I don't really like any system made after joysticks went kaput; I grew up on right handed digital joysticks and cannot for the life of me get used to left handed chiclet controllers (every system since NES). In the days before 14 gazillion buttons on the controller, I used to make my own home-made joysticks for systems like NES, so at least I had a chance of surviving (and conversely, I modified NES controllers to work on Atari systems so that my nieces and nephews could play against me).

I think my fav was the Atari 800, although in its day I truly loved the 2600 too. Never liked polygon based machines cuz bitmapped monsters look so much more real (I always call modern polygon monsters "shrink-wrapped tinkertoys" LOL ), and of course the blasted left handed controllers frustrate me to no end. *sigh*

Guess I'm just an old timer now, LOL!

I guess I can be in that category as well. I loved the Atari system and wish that it could be brought back!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #11
jonahlee
Warrior

Default XBOX All the way

I am behind the XBOX, which is strange for a Macintosh User!

It is just the most powerful system and has the best online support with it's excellent XBOX Live system. In fact I like it so much that I sold my PS2 because I just didn't care to play the games with worse graphics, especially since I like Racing and First Person Shooters. Some people like the PS2 because of RPG's but I am an old school paper based RPG fan, so I have never like computer or console RPG's.

I sold my Dreamcast as well, but I will never get rid of my Sega Saturn because of SATURN BOMBERMAN, which in my opinion is the best multi-player game of all time, and has yet to be topped. And all the 3D bomberman titles have been awful!

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #12
StarshipTrooper
Bad Email Address

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Admin
BattlestarGalacticaClub.com

Thumbs up

Hi,

Xbox. Because it has better (and faster) hardware. Of course the trade-off is the lack of available games compared to the PS2. I ordered Project Gotham Racing 2 this month along with the Mad Catz 2 racing wheel, shifter and pedals. Very nice, this is one of those games that is not a chore to try to beat!

Regards,

Nathan

StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #13
jonahlee
Warrior

Oh yea, Project Gotham 2 is amazing! So much for. Though I actually liked the normal multiplayer better in 1 (since you played for Kudos and not time), but this game is the best.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

Old March 17th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Ah...a fave subject o' mine...

Well, currently my fave vidgame console is the Playstation 2. I am used to the controls, and I love many of the games that are out for it. Timesplitters 2 in particular. Now, although the game is out on other consoles, to my knowledge, the PS2 and Xbox versions are the only ones with 16 player capability via LAN party. Also, when I had broadband, I used to play SOCOM Navy Seals...now that was a blast. If and when I get broadband again, I plan to play SOCOM II, and Resident Evil: OUTBREAK! I also want to get the 40GB HDD that is out (comes with Final Fantasy XI, but I doubt I'll be playing that immediately) I want the HDD for downloadable content for SOCOM II, and hopefully Timesplitters 3 (when it comes out.)

The disheartening thing about the new PS2 model is that they removed the Firewire port (that little square plug that was tucked in nice and neat with the two USB ports at the front left of this system), and replaced it with a built in IR receiver for the new model remote control.

I do plan to get an Xbox eventually. I want to play HALO 2 sooooooo bad. I just don't like the fact that you have to buy a remote control just so it will play DVD movies. Who knows, it may end up being my fave console when I do get it. I do know that I will buy a couple of adapters that allow you to use PS2 controllers on the Xbox, in case any of mi amigos y amigas have trouble getting used to an Xbox controller.

I used to have a Sega Dreamcast also. Wow...now there was an awesome, yet short lived system. (Sega had trouble since the 32X adapter for the Genesis.)
I used to play Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena online with the DC. (Used to be REAL good at Unreal Tournament....got quite a few "%&$*#&^ you, Chang!'s" when I used the sniper rifle... :laugh:

Wow....at one time, I used to have a whole felgercarb load of systems. PS1, PS2, Super Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast, and Sega Gamegear. And I used to have a ton o' games between those systems.

Well, that's me rantin and ravin for now.

Respectfully to all,
Martok 2112 aka General Chang
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:56 PM   #15
bsg1fan1975
Major

just picked up an atari adapted game for the ps one. So far I got high score on Centipede!

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:28 PM   #16
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Did you know that there are emulators out there for old games? Modern PCs are so much faster than 1980 arcade machines that they can run programs to interprete the old arcade games. So you can play the actual game on your pc and it will play exaclty the same. You just have to somehow get the code from the original arcade machine processor chips.

Companies like Atari don't release the code since its still valuable to them. So its not legal to give them away. But they are all over the internet. YOu just have to search for them.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:31 PM   #17
jonahlee
Warrior

Yea MAME is the most popular emulator, but as you said the ROM's aren't legal unless you own the original. My biggest complaint is that the controls just aren't the same, but they are still fun to play.

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:41 PM   #18
Phoenix

PS2 all the way for me. The vastness of the library for both PS1 and 2 games is HUGE! Being able to play both system's games is why I bbought it in the first place. I had a Dreamcast and wnet Sega threw in the towel on games for the console, I dedcided then and there to get a PS2 so I wouldn't run outta games to play.
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:02 AM   #19
bsg1fan1975
Major

I'll stick to what I have! I don't see a PC as a place to play games!

Old April 1st, 2004, 01:01 PM   #20
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Did you know that there are emulators out there for old games? Modern PCs are so much faster than 1980 arcade machines that they can run programs to interprete the old arcade games. So you can play the actual game on your pc and it will play exaclty the same. You just have to somehow get the code from the original arcade machine processor chips.

Companies like Atari don't release the code since its still valuable to them. So its not legal to give them away. But they are all over the internet. YOu just have to search for them.

Funny you said that, I am in the process of expanding my web site to include 4 antique platforms, games, emulators, and so forth. That way folks can locate everything in the same place. And yes, it's unbelievably sad that out of business companies and obsolete programs are still being avidly defended (which does nothing except guarantee they are NEVER enjoyed again!!! .

"If I can't play it, neither can YOU!!!" What a horrible outlook to have toward your neighbors. What if authors and estates of old literature adamantly prevented everyone from ever reading their beautiful works again?

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #21
Jayworld
Warrior

Default PS2 and..... Intellivision!

This will probably show my age (no need to guess, I'm 37), but my second game system (first was the Odyssey 2 by Magnavox) was the Mattel Intellivision, that I received for Christmas in 1982. Just imagine, 22 years later, and I still have the original system, which still works perfectly, with over 50+ games, the original Intellivoice, and the hard-to-find INTV games.

All that means....

Yes, I got the Intellivision Lives game for my Playstation 2 for Christmas, which is now my system of choice. I got my PS2 last June, after spending 2 months of research, comparing features and prices, playing demos in the stores. Yes, XBox has better graphics and a hard drive, but in the end, I didn't like the controller's "feel" near as well as the PS2, and being a lifetime Mac user, Microsoft had to really sell me on their system over Sony, and they didn't. I also liked the backwards compatibility of the PS2 with PSOne games. I don't buy many games, but have seven PS2 games, and 3 PSOne games (Planet of the Apes definitely rocks!). I own Battlestar for PS2, and have had it since Christmas. It's lots of fun, especially with the Apollo and Starbuck wingmen, but I spend most of my time playing ESPN Football 2K4 or NCAA Football 2004 (I'm a sports nut).

By the way, for those of you that love Halo, it is now available for the Mac....

Thanks,
Jayworld
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #22
jonahlee
Warrior

[QUOTE=JayworldBy the way, for those of you that love Halo, it is now available for the Mac....[/QUOTE]

Yes but Halo 2 will be an XBOX Exclusive for some time when it comes out at the end of this year, and from what I have seen is going to be mind blowing!

I am also a lifetime Apple user, starting with an Apple IIc, then moving to a Mac Classic, and I am up to a dual Processor G4 I edit on.

I don't use any microsoft software, but that doesn't mean that I don't think the XBOX is far superior to the PS2. And while there are not as many games, there are many more games than I can ffor to buy, which is enough for me!