Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old October 10th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #1
Rickyrod70

Cool The Prisoner, The Saint, and the Avengers

In case you didn't know BBC America is running The Avengers, The Saint and the Prisoner every Friday night from 8PM to 2AM. I am so happy cause I havent seen any of these shows for many years. I hope everyone will enjoy this while it lasts. I can only hope that they air The new Dr. Who when it comes out and some classic Who as well.
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Don't get it where I am. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Rickyrod and Senmut! I LOVE the Prisoner. Even got to see the very last ep when it originally aired. Someday I wanna buy the DVD set and watch the whole thing thru. Wish I could set aside time to watch Fridays with you all, but can't seem to set aside the time

Thanks though!
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

Be seeing you!
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It's unfortunate that A+E Video charges the most for the DVD releases of these shows. Even after season boxed sets of the $60-80 range became the norm, it still costs $200 to assemble a full season of episodes for most of these shows since they're still in the old six episodes to a package at $40 each pricing.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

What mere mortal can fathom the workings of the Network exec's mind? It truly makes no sense, especially when other, and may I say lesser shows sell for much less.
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

In this case, A+E is just behind the times in terms of how DVDs are now marketed. These were actually some of the first programs to make it to DVD, and in those days of course we had Star Trek episodes being released two at a time for $20 apiece which was even worse! The difference is that A+E hasn't realized by now that these things need to be repackaged better in light of the new trends that have taken place. They sort of partially did this with their "mega sets" for these shows (along with Space 1999) but the savings one gets overall isn't quite enough to usually justify purchasing the whole thing at once.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #8
Bijou88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrod70
In case you didn't know BBC America is running The Avengers, The Saint and the Prisoner every Friday night from 8PM to 2AM. I am so happy cause I havent seen any of these shows for many years. I hope everyone will enjoy this while it lasts. I can only hope that they air The new Dr. Who when it comes out and some classic Who as well.

If you are in part of the country that gets G-TV, they run I Spy, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. every Wednesday night from 8 to 2 AM. Open Channel D!

Old November 4th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #9
harryfielder
Warrior

I have great memories of all these shows,,,

Aitch,,,,
www.harryfielder.co.uk
harryfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #10
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Hi Rickyrod and Senmut! I LOVE the Prisoner. Even got to see the very last ep when it originally aired. Someday I wanna buy the DVD set and watch the whole thing thru. Wish I could set aside time to watch Fridays with you all, but can't seem to set aside the time

Thanks though!
Muffit
Big fan of the Prisoner myself. My wife and I just recently had the honor of spending a part of my vacation in Portmeirion in northwestern Wales back in September. A truly beautiful and amazing place. I was impressed that they haven't fallen on the Prisoner as their primary bread & butter. I was halfway expecting a little stick-figure person on the dresser with a little card reading "welcome to your home from home". There was the obvious No. 6 store, but the rest of the place seemed completely untouched by the show. I found myself completely dumbstruck by finally seeing things in real-life that only once existed in my mind as two-dimensional moving images. I was taking pics with my digital camera EVERYWHERE. I think my wife thought I was nuts The amazing thing is, it still looks identical to the way it looked in the show, minus the little signs and red speaker-boxes, of course.

Highly recommended if you can spare the change. It's a bit out-of-the way, too for anything other than by car.
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default An addition to BBC America Friday night

Hey fellow retro TV fans!

Last week, BBC America added "The Persuaders" with a very young Roger Moore and Tony Curtis. For those that don't know, "The Persuaders" is from the early 70's. I remember watching this show with my dad. It was one of the first UK shows, along with "The Avengers" and "The Prisoner" that I watched as a young one. They showed the first episode last week - it was quite a blast from the past for me. I haven't seen "The Persuaders" since I was 12-13 years old!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote