Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 18th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #1
Shatter
Bad Email Address

Default Another remake rant

Hello all. I’m new to these forums, but I’m thankful to find a dedicated group of fans of TOS here on the net. I hope I’m not out of line posting on a subject that I’m sure has been discussed numerous times prior to my arrival, but I know I’ll find some sympathetic ears here.

I was initially pleased to learn about the revival of Battlestar Galactica. I’ve been a fan of the show for decades, having first watched during its original run when I was all of eight years old. My excitement was pretty short lived. Once I learned of Sci-Fi’s plans for the mini-series, I was pretty distraught. My favorite character recast as a woman? Apollo despises his father? A seeming absence of military order and respect? Cylons that…well, that aren’t cylons? As I read more about the history behind the remake and the creative powers behind it, my initial upset gave way to anger.

In his Q&A section of the Sci-Fi web site, David Eick, executive producer of the upcoming mini-series, seems to indicate that a continuation of the original series was never a serious consideration. His reasoning seems to be that most continuations are doomed to failure. He seems completely (or willfully) ignorant of the clear support that such a continuation has amongst TOS fan base. Even if he and other creative powers had a sound rationale for remaking the series, it would seem logical that they would proceed with great respect of the original source material. Revelations about the mini-series and comments from those involved have clearly shown that this is not the case. The recent remarks from Edward James Olmos clearly show that fans of TOS are going to be alienated by the new material.

Please understand, although I have great appreciation for the Star Trek franchise, I’ve never been a dedicated fan. Nonetheless, I couldn’t help but think of the development of The Next Generation and the other, subsequent Trek series that followed. Clearly, those that developed those series did so with the clear intention of building on the success of the original series. They set up a continuation that allowed them to explore new themes and take some of the concepts of the original show in new directions without harming the legacy begun by the original show. As a result, old fans were able to enjoy the new series and new fans were attracted as well. Seems that approach worked pretty well. Last I checked, TNG had spawned its own series of movies. But continuations are a bad idea?

I don’t know of any previous situation where faithful fans have been so patently disregarded. Moore seems intent on creating some dark, post-modern story that bears no resemblance to its source. What is amazing to me is that the producers of the new show had the opportunity to take advantage of a tremendous fan based momentum that was in place before the new mini-series was ever proposed. If they had chosen to move forward with a continuation (or a prequel) the excitement generated would have insured impressive ratings in December. Instead, fans are angry over being ignored, and the Sci-Fi channel has lowered itself to censoring opinions opposing the remake on its message boards.

I really feel that one of the jobs that we, as fans, have is to actively preserve information about TOS, and to educate science fiction fans unfamiliar with Galactica about the great merits of TOS. That way, the good of this beloved series will be preserved.

Sincere apologies for the long post. I just needed to let off steam to a group of people that I knew would sympathize.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatter

Hello all. I’m new to these forums, but I’m thankful to find a dedicated group of fans of TOS here on the net. I hope I’m not out of line posting on a subject that I’m sure has been discussed numerous times prior to my arrival, but I know I’ll find some sympathetic ears here.
Shatter,

WELCOME to Colonial Fleets!! You're absolutely right, there are a whole fleet full of sympathetic ears.

Quote:

Please understand, although I have great appreciation for the Star Trek franchise, I’ve never been a dedicated fan. Nonetheless, I couldn’t help but think of the development of The Next Generation and the other, subsequent Trek series that followed. Clearly, those that developed those series did so with the clear intention of building on the success of the original series. They set up a continuation that allowed them to explore new themes and take some of the concepts of the original show in new directions without harming the legacy begun by the original show.

Absolute, 100% agreement!! I have been a fan of ST, in all of its incarnations except possibly Enterprise, since a late summer / early fall day in 1971 and I have echoed those same sentiments regarding continuity. They did it right (except for ENT).

Quote:

As a result, old fans were able to enjoy the new series and new fans were attracted as well. Seems that approach worked pretty well.
You won't get any argument here!
That particular method would have most likely guaranteed Universal thousands of additional good will ambassadors. Instead, they have thousands of vocal enemies. Such a waste.

Once again, Welcome!

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Welcome Shatter!
and I too agree with your take on this 100%
Thanks for stopping in and letting us know you were here!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:22 AM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

How to fix this remake mess? Simple! We tke Moore et all to Carillon, and fed 'em to theOvions. let 'em "reimagine" THAT!

-Amo patria meum, quoniam meus et.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #5
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Welcome Aboard Shatter!

I agree with you totally!

Glad to have you here at CF!!!
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #6
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Totally excellent points!!

And, I'm with Senmut! Let's feed 'em all to the Ovions....

--Rhonda (who wouldn't rescue RDM from those pods the Ovions were putting the REAL HUMANS into...)
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #7
Shatter
Bad Email Address

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

The Ovion idea sounds outstanding!
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #8
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I'll add my welcome, too, Shatter. Come on in and have some fun with the rest of us nuts.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #9
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Welcome Shatter, stick around we do have some fun here.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
I'll add my welcome, too, Shatter. Come on in and have some fun with the rest of us nuts.

I am
Dawg

Watch it, Dawg. I'm not your typical run-of-the-mill 'nut' ; I'm a certified lunatic!!
(Just kiddin', buddy!!)

BST

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't..."
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Hello and welcome. My name is Paul
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #12
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Excellent points Shatter! And welcome to Colonial Fleets! You'll find a LOT of agreement here!

Oh, and hi to Senmut too - hey, Senmut is almost Tumnus spelled backwards!!! - okay, okay, I had to put in a Narnia plug and my penchant for backwards stuff! Yep, in case you hadn't guessed I'm the REALLY silly one. Just ask me about beavers.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #13
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Default Re: Another remake rant

Quote:
In his Q&A section of the Sci-Fi web site, David Eick, executive producer of the upcoming mini-series, seems to indicate that a continuation of the original series was never a serious consideration. His reasoning seems to be that most continuations are doomed to failure. He seems completely (or willfully) ignorant of the clear support that such a continuation has amongst TOS fan base.
David Eicke just doesn't want the public to know that there was a continuation project in preproduction from producer Tom DeSanto (X-Men and X2).

Tom DeSanto had the rug pulled out by Bonnie Hammer (The President of the Sci-Fi Channel in favor of Ron Moore.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #14
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffit
Excellent points Shatter! And welcome to Colonial Fleets! You'll find a LOT of agreement here!

Oh, and hi to Senmut too - hey, Senmut is almost Tumnus spelled backwards!!! - okay, okay, I had to put in a Narnia plug and my penchant for backwards stuff! Yep, in case you hadn't guessed I'm the REALLY silly one. Just ask me about beavers.

Senmut, don't ask Muffit about the beavers, they keep overrunning the cafe and drinking and/or hiding the best ambrosia. Welcome!!!

Muffit, wasn't Tumnus the faun? (someone borrowed my L,W & W and didn't return it )

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old May 20th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #15
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Senmut, don't ask Muffit about the beavers, they keep overrunning the cafe and drinking and/or hiding the best ambrosia. Welcome!!!

Muffit, wasn't Tumnus the faun? (someone borrowed my L,W & W and didn't return it )
Right you are Jewels! Mr. Tumnus was the faun the kids met at the lamp post! Wow, didn't realize we had so many Narnia fans here!

(Muffit surrounded by beavers)
Old July 6th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #16
Senmut
Strike Leader

Of course there are Narnia fans in here. Which makes RDM the White Witch, in drag. (Hey is Sb can be a woman, then...)
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #17
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Perpetual Winter - turning the real heroes to stone - yeah, fits them nicely...

Now if only Mr. DeSanto would turn out to be a BSG Aslan and warm things up a bit...

Old July 7th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #18
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffit
Perpetual Winter - turning the real heroes to stone - yeah, fits them nicely...

Now if only Mr. DeSanto would turn out to be a BSG Aslan and warm things up a bit...

Agreed! Aslan turning the tables would be appreciated: and it does sort of fit: Aslan had to die to defeat the witch, Tom's attempt is dead and we wait for it to resurrect. Hmmmmm.
Jewels

Old July 14th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #19
dec5
Warrior

Default Hi I am new too....

I had sort of a rant..but it got erased......

But I have to say that the original vision of BSG about a Egyptian style advance civilization with thousands year old technology was a great idea. Adama. Apollo and Athena seemed to be the main characters...but then got diluted in the end.

Richard Hatch who I had the pleasure to see in person....did a great job in keeping the orignal version alive in his books.....but it looks like Glen Larson did not want to have anything to do with it.

He apparently gave the rights to Moore...to remake the show instead of giving it to Hatch....and now we have a total remake that is not even in the same universe of BSG1.

Basically it has been a big disapointment almost from the begining of the show......I had always hoped for a strong come back to BSG beginings...(The first 3 eppys).....but alas...it now seems almost impossible to see it happening in the next 5 years.......

Last edited by dec5; July 14th, 2003 at 11:03 PM..
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #20
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi dec5! Welcome!

Old July 15th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #21
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Shatter, you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the situation.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #22
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I agree with shatter ..........WHen ever someone
finds out I like the BSG series they tell me I have
no taste as they are still DROOOOOOLING over

It's so nice .........to be with people who like
BSG as much as I do!:baloon: :sunshi:
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #23
dec5
Warrior

Default Thanks!

Thanks Muffit, it is great to be here!! And was fun talking with Mr. Hatch in Chat!!!!
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #24
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi again dec5! What? There was a chat with Richard and I missed it? Rats...

Old July 29th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #25
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I missed it too Muffit........I only JUST joined
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #26
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Did I welcome you yet shiningstar? If I didn't,