Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:43 AM   #1
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Muffit What sort of Holidays?

I was just thinking about the holiday season. We have a HUGE panoply of holidays here on our little planet, and I was thinking about what sort of holidays the Colonials would celebrate. Especially after the holocaust.

Since the whole world of Galactica is theocratic at it's core (well at least Caprican society is anyway... we have no definitive on the other colonies), one would imagine it's religious based stuff mostly.

Or maybe they don't observe holidays at all? It was never touched on in the series (unless you consider the High Worship of the Sunstorm every seven years on Gemon homeworld a holiday as opposed to a planet-wide orgy!)

Just thinking....

-Gordon
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM   #2
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Kobol day: When the original Kobolians left their homeworld to start their epic journey which would eventually lead them to the colonies.

The feast of the Foundation: A 12 day celebration, remembering the founding of each of the 12 colonies by the Kobolian fathers, in a series of 12 traditional meals (and alcoholic beverages), specific to each colony planet.

The festival of Ascension: A symbolic celebration of the ascension of the founders to their place among the Lords of Kobol.

...I've got more, but the mrs wants the pc now....
And I quote 'If thats all you're doing, can you just piss off?'
Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:35 AM   #3
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Didn't Apollo mention something about an Armistice Day or something to that effect? They obviously celebrated their military too, although after 1000 yahrens of war with the Cylons, maybe the Colonila military had met it's match?

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default their holidays

On one of the fan fiction pages (which unfortunately got deleted), I came up with a list of potential holidays for the Colonials. Off the top of my head, this is what I remember:

Candlemas (a medieval feast day which we on Earth now call Groundhog Day--it's the halfway point of winter--you can find reference to it in pre-Vatican II prayer books)
Children's Day (which is a real holiday in Japan)
Midsummer (which Shakespeare made famous)
Feast of St. Apollo (that one is purely my imagination)
Feast of St. Blaise (which is actually a Catholic holy day here on Earth--look it up--I just like the name of it)
Saturnalia (celebrated by the ancient Romans here on Earth; some of it was adapted into Christmas)
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5
bsg1fan1975
Major

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis
Didn't Apollo mention something about an Armistice Day or something to that effect? They obviously celebrated their military too, although after 1000 yahrens of war with the Cylons, maybe the Colonila military had met it's match?
It was an Armament Day that he spoke of.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM   #6
spcglider
Squadron Leader

The only recollection I have on that subject is Apollo saying "With most of the squadron celebrating the armistice" when he's making an excuse for Zac to go on patrol with him... I don't recall it being in the context of an annual fete.

Serina also says, "Tonight is a night of thanksgiving" when they are en-route to Carrillon but she's only referring to the activities of that particular secton surrounding Sire Uri's "lets destroy our arms" party.

-Gordon
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:07 PM   #7
spcglider
Squadron Leader

I suppose it's necessary to look at the context of the society. Each colony had a different society... or more precisely, SOME colonies had different societies. We really only know about Caprica and Gemon from canon reference.

But all of them had been at war for over 1000 years. What does that lead to?

An economy based largely on the military.
The need for lots of soldiers.
Support systems for that.

So there's probably alot of military-based holidays (which tend to be somber occasions).

But then we also see a heavy influence of religion and faith in the overall society as well. So what does that give us?

Celebrations of life, giving, caring.
Deep tradition.

More to think about...

-Gordon
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM   #8
mikedx
Warriordx

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarGalacticaAutographs.com

spc,

What you say about armistice is true in Saga,
Apollo says something like: Well that's kind of short notice. I mean with everybody not wanting to go on this patrol, everybody wants to celebrate the armistice. I wonder who I'm gonna be able to find.

But there is another line in "Lost Planet of the Gods" where Apollo quips to Adama about the ability of the female pilots that the closest that these shuttle pilots have ever been to a viper was on Armament Day.

Incidentally, if you believe this website (which I don't)

http://www.geocities.com/zorak_zoran/quickfacts.html

there is a country named Mahina who has Armament Day as a national holday (Nov. 11). I cannot verify anywhere else that this is legit, although there are references to Mahina being a Hawaiian moon godess. So go figure...
mikedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:37 PM   #9
Lara
Squadron Leader

Good topic.

The following is my quick thoughts..

if we think about the reasons we have holidays, we can apply them to the colonials.

There are national holidays which get a day off in the calendar and a lot of media and commercial fuss, then there are state and regional holidays, that may get a day off, and then there are observances, which are marked by media and commercial interests, but don't ususally get a day off!:

Religious holidays: Christmas & easter being the major feast days for the dominant religion have national holidays. Others are celebrated but not with a day off. It would be reasonable that each colony had a major one of these: possibly in the ancient egyptian model of 5 whole days at the end of the year devoted to the Gods (Lords) This works well on a decimal calendar for Earths 365 +1/4 day year

Political holidays: we have a Queen's birthday. there is a push to have it replaced with federation day., but thats a prelude to Presidents birthday . Also there is labour day which acknowledges the struggles of the union movement and highlights the fights for rights by workers. The colonials may have a cross colony presidaents day, then local unification/ federation days

Settlement: a national Australia day (settlement of Sydney) and then the state euivalents (Proclaimation day here in SA) As mentioned by others: the obvious colonial equal would be settlement of the 12 worlds (+regional?), leaving of Kobol (cross colony)

Military: A national holiday that reflects on the nature of war (ANZAC day) Armastcie day is not a holiday but is national and marked by a minutes silence and official functions,. VE and VP days are usually marked by functions and by the media, but closer to WW2 they were more actively celebrated.. Colonial victory celebration literally got shot up in SAGA , but the date would be marked as the fall of the colonies/ holocaust day. A cross colony day of reflection on the sacrafices made during the war would have been in place already, with regional observances for colony specifc events

Sporting events: a couple of holidays are for horse races, and other long weekends ususally sprout other sports functions Colonials might do the triad grand final day..but its probably regional. Tho the equal of the olympic games might be a cross colony holiday (in greek history it was a cessation of war and the bonding of the tribes/ city states to sporting competition... the might be a colonial thing prior to the bonding occurring becos of the cylon war..)

Cheers,
Lara
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM   #10
WarMachine
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedx
spc,

<snip>

Incidentally, if you believe this website (which I don't)

http://www.geocities.com/zorak_zoran/quickfacts.html

there is a country named Mahina who has Armament Day as a national holday (Nov. 11). I cannot verify anywhere else that this is legit, although there are references to Mahina being a Hawaiian moon godess. So go figure...

Been there, Done that -- have the t-shirt.......

http://www.geocities.com/zorak_zoran/home.html

"E komo mai, saluton and welcome to the Kingdom of Mahina, our micronation based on Pacific Islander cultures. Countless legends and books have referred to the Moon as the abode of gods and the home of beautiful humans. These descriptions did not stem merely from the majesty and gradeur of the natural, though tropical, surroundings but perhaps through idle dreaming. And so since time immemorial, ascetics, scholars, philosophers and pilgrims have been drawn irresistibly to this remote and lush place in their personal search for wisdom, inspiration, solitude and happiness..."
Old December 2nd, 2005, 05:28 PM   #11
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Draco,

You could well be seeing these again.

Sandy
Old December 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM   #12
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
Draco,

You could well be seeing these again.

Sandy
???? How'd ya mean Commander?

Continuing my thoughts on Colonial culture.
I think that whats most important when trying to imagine this side of the colonial culture is to realise where their 'priorities' are.
They are not a society on a war-footing, regardles of their endless war with the Cylon empire, they have never lost sight of their spiritual side or their 'humanity'.
Of course they have a military, and we know them through that aspect of their culture for obvious reasons. But they are essentially a peaceful society of unarmed pacifists, who even after 1000 yahrens of war are still prepared to try and see the 'goodness' in a race of war-machines.
They have not given in to fear, or allowed this war to polute their everyday existance.
They have no secondary line of defence when the Cylons attack, no 'anti air' defences in Caprica's capital city, we don't see a single civilian weapon apart from the Nomen's laser-bolas, and as we know, the Nomen despise the Colonials, seeing them as weak sheep!
I don't think that they'd have actual festivals commemorating their military. National monuments of rememberance of the sacrifice of those who gave their lives to preserve the peaceful way of life of the Colonial culture perhaps, yes.
But I only think that the final end of the war would have warranted a specific day of rememberance and celebration. And then only because it would have become such a part of the Colonial 'psyche' after so long that it's end would warrant eternal rememberance.

Kobol day: Remembering when the original Kobolians left their homeworld to start the epic journey which would eventually lead them to the colonies. A celebration of life and beginnings. Children born of Kobol day, are said to be especially blessed, and are often named after the Lords themselves (Apollo being a good example).

The feast of the Foundation: A 12 day celebration, remembering the founding of each of the 12 colonies by the Kobolian fathers. 12 days, each specifically representing one Colony, celebrating the cultural diversity of the Colonials through dance, traditional meals (and alcoholic beverages). A celebration of togetherness, and an exploration of the customs and traditions of each of the twelve Colony planets. Especially loved by children, parents give them a small gift representative of each Colony on each of the twelve days.
Although quite rare, It is considered a pilgrimage to spend the 'Feast of the Foundation' on a different Colony planet, and those choosing to do this, will stay with a host family who provide the accomodation, while the visitors provide food, drink and traditional gifts representing their home world. Followers of the Kobolian religion should try to do this on at least one occasion in their lives, and try and offer accomodation to other wishing to do so whenever thay can (A garland of purple flowers on a door represents willingness to accept visitors, with orange fruit representing the number of visitors that can be accomodated. This allows travellers to simply knock and be welcomed, but only on the day before the festival starts).

The festival of Ascension: A symbolic celebration of the ascension of the founders to their place among the Lords of Kobol.
This festival is essentially a time of introspection, where colonists consider the past yahren, and try to decide where they can improve themselves on a personal level. Through action, thought and deed, respect of others and self sacrifice, in the hope that they will be worthy of the sacrifice of the Lords of Kobol, and may be able to continue on the path to personal ascension.
It is traditional to give a non-family member a gift anonymously, and to light a flame of rememberance for any family member, friend, or lover who has passed beyond this life, in the hope that they have achieved ascension.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:15 PM   #13
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Well, I hope you're not right in the latter since that directly violates a segment of the audio project I've been working on for the past couple of months.

The holidays are a nice addition. After reading them, I'd like to include at least a reference to them in EP2 of Exodus.

Sandy
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:38 PM   #14
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
Well, I hope you're not right in the latter since that directly violates a segment of the audio project I've been working on for the past couple of months.

The holidays are a nice addition. After reading them, I'd like to include at least a reference to them in EP2 of Exodus.

Sandy

lol, well, my collegues below are quite right about the reference to 'armament day' so that could be an armed forces parades and celebration day.

Isn't that the great thing about this though? You can really make it anything you want!
Where do my ideas conflict with your work Sandy?
Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #15
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
Of course they have a military, and we know them through that aspect of their culture for obvious reasons. But they are essentially a peaceful society of unarmed pacifists, who even after 1000 yahrens of war are still prepared to try and see the 'goodness' in a race of war-machines.
This is a main subject throughout Episode 1 of The Exodus Series. When you've heard how its laid out, we'll see if it makes sense with your concept and if its well developed in everyone's eyes or not.

Sandy
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #16
Senmut
Strike Leader

I would imagine that the day the Colonies reached political unification would be a holiday.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote