Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 26th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #61
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I was just 10 years old when Galactica aired in 1978. Funny, but I don't ever think I compared it to Star Wars or thought that Galactica was rip off. I just loved the whole concept! I was glued to the TV every Sunday night. some of my fondest childhood memories are sitting there watching that show. It moved me like no other show ever has...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #62
duende
Bad Email Address

Cool How I came to BSG

I, too, was a 10 yo eager to see this show. I had been deeply immersed in SciFi for a few years, having seen Star Wars a couple of times, been engaged in Star Trek on UHF reruns (and the animated ST too), devouring books in that vein that exceeded my comprehension. Anything to do with space flight (I was into model rocketry) caught my attention.

I still recall the TV Guide with the preview of the Fall season line up where there was an artist's idea of the Galactica on the cover. Funny it looked remarkably like Space Odyssey's "Discovery" with mods. ( I think the artist would be a car tuner today.) What was not to like about this coming show? It had space ships, robots, lasers and aliens.

The opening strains of the brasses of the theme are still stirring. Gotta love it! And now, at 37, I enjoy the new series almost as much as I recall enjoying the first. Though they have similarities (or should I say parallels?), each are their own shows. I watch the reruns when I get the chance; I watch the new one when I can too. I have space in my imagination for both. (Heck, how many times have I seen Star Wars IV?)
duende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #63
Belloby
Bad Email Address

What attracted me to Battlestar Galactica was Lorne Greene. I really loved him on Bonanza and was curious as to what he was going to do on this series. Adama, has been and always will be my favorite character.

And then after I started watching the show ( I was one of the millions who watched the original broadcast in Sept. 1978) the artwork just blew me away. I was a freshman in high school at the time and decided there and then to go into art.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #64
JLHurley
Warrior

I can't believe I have yet to answer this question...

I watched BG faithfully week after week when it first aired in '78-'79 but it wasn't until the summer of '79, after its cancelation announcement, that I started really enjoying and eventually loving it. Fearing that I would never see it again, I started to tape record the repeats; didn't think of doing such a thing until after "Living Legend" but I managed to get "Gun," "Young Lords, "Man w/ 9 Lives," and "War of the Gods" on tape, eventually even mail ordering other eps on tape cassettes. Heck, when BG hit the theater that same summer, I even smuggled in two tape recorders to get it on tape in its entirety, too! Every day after school, I listened to those same cassettes on my home stereo and eventually in my car. (It's been over 25 years and to this day I still listen to BG on the road, although I now have CD recordings of them all.)

The music definitely drew me into the series from the get-go, but I think it was its basic story of survival that really grabbed me--that and the "look" and "feel" to the series. In a way, BG reminds me of a favorite movie of mine, "The Ten Commandments": both involved an exodus, both had "bigger than life" characters, and both had incredible costumes.
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #65
marlee

I was 20 in 1978, and i loved the show at the very beginning. because of the concept that space travel is possible and u dont know what is out there. I always liked sci fi. I was in a fan club,it has been so long that I dont remember the name ,but it was out of corvalis oregon. I had patches like they wore on their uniforms and wrist bands. I really enjoyed it. I wrote on a continuing story by hand . No computer. so any correspondence took a while.Now I am 47 yahrens old 48 next month and i still enjoy it. They still show it fromm time to time on scifi channel. I 'll never tire of it
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #66
Jan Reinar
Bad Email Address

Hi!

I am from Brazil and in 1979 the Universal movies was openning a new movie theatre here on Rio de Janeiro. They had choosen a three hours version of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA to be the first movie to be showed with their new sound system.

I had 14 years in that time and as many of my friends was very curious about the movie. The series will take a year to be showed on Brazilian TV and we didn't know anything about BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

See the movie on big screen with all of that sound effects was a amazing experience and I back many times for FIVE weeks and I was not the only one. So many people back for the movie that they began to show the series double epsoides like as movies!

Sorry for my English.
Jan Reinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #67
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Wow Gordon!

You certainly have the gift of the Blarney! But what you say is very true- I'm right there with you. These are the reasons I haven't been able to connect with the new series.

I was 9 at the time it first aired and caught up in the post- Star Wars need for more sci-fi (or Epic Legend as you correctly peg'd it!). Buck Rogers and The Black Hole hooked me for the same reason. BSG, however had the most 'play vaule' for me as a kid.

I stayed a fan and collector into adulthood. The pinnical of my BSG geek fanhood was getting the oportunity to restore the original Galactica model for Universal Florida in 1990.

I put aside my fandom for a short while in the late 90s when a bad encounter with the current owner of the Galactica model (and other BSG studio miniatures) put a really bad taste in my mouth for all things BSG. It's funny how one thing can spoil the rest like that.

What re-kindled my interest a few years ago was the studio-scale Galactica model by Jim Creveling. He sparked my interest in doing BSG models again and in BSG in general. Though meeting him and Charles Adams (www.starshipmodeler.com), I have met a lot of other great fans and I has kept me interested every since just about everything TOS BSG.

Mark
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #68
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyfett
Wow Gordon!

You certainly have the gift of the Blarney! But what you say is very true- I'm right there with you. These are the reasons I haven't been able to connect with the new series.

I was 9 at the time it first aired and caught up in the post- Star Wars need for more sci-fi (or Epic Legend as you correctly peg'd it!). Buck Rogers and The Black Hole hooked me for the same reason. BSG, however had the most 'play vaule' for me as a kid.

I stayed a fan and collector into adulthood. The pinnical of my BSG geek fanhood was getting the oportunity to restore the original Galactica model for Universal Florida in 1990.

I put aside my fandom for a short while in the late 90s when a bad encounter with the current owner of the Galactica model (and other BSG studio miniatures) put a really bad taste in my mouth for all things BSG. It's funny how one thing can spoil the rest like that.

What re-kindled my interest a few years ago was the studio-scale Galactica model by Jim Creveling. He sparked my interest in doing BSG models again and in BSG in general. Though meeting him and Charles Adams (www.starshipmodeler.com), I have met a lot of other great fans and I has kept me interested every since just about everything TOS BSG.

Mark
Hi, Mark.

Can you tell us what happened when you had your bad encounter with the Galactica model owner? There are always things that happen to us as fans that at one time or another (or more than once) want to make us walk away from fandom. I'd be interested in hearing your story.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #69
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Long story short, he thought I had kept pieces of the model when I had it (8 years prior) and he used made-up stories and intimidation to try and get me to give them up. He is still very bitter about it today and takes every opportunity to bad-mouth me to others. He and his buddies still will tell other collectors that they won't deal with them if t they deal with me. There are a lot more details, but that's the long and short of it.

I don't get mad about it any more- that take up too much energy. I just attribute it to certain personality types- they let their collections consume them. Some people are just like that and nothing I can do or say will change it, so I've moved on. There are many more BSG fans out there who have the proper attitude and perspective and can still enjoy this as a hobby.

Mark
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #70
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Mark,

I had an e-mail from that guy last year concerning his purchase of the Basestar model, the guy's a paranoid dickhead.

Best,

Peter
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #71
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

AH, we are talking about the same guy!

Yea, paranoid is one of his traits. I don't want this to become thread bashing him though- its just not productive.

Mark
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #72
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Hey Mark, check your e-mail!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #73
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks Warrior! Reply sent!

Hey Peter, I sent you a PM, but I don't think I can access that here yet- you could respond to me at mbradley3@cfl.rr.com

Mark
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #74
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

You should be all set up now, Mark.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #75
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks a frak-load!

M
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #76
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Default June 7, 2006 and the Battlestar.

Why do I think about the Galactica on June 7th?

Maybe because I saw it for the first time on videotape as I was preparing a report on the possibility of building O'Neill colonies and I was depressed by the latest failure in human imagination(the cancellation of Apollo.

Then I see the Galactica as she banks through an escape pivot as she heads for Caprica, during "Saga of a Starworld". (Impossible for a rocket, but who cares)?
And I see Starbuck and Apollo in their Vipers.(Unlikely, any fighters we use in space will be artilects, but they were so heroic!).
This was it for me. It restored my faith that we would make it into space despite the setbacks and the imbecility of those who try to stop us. Those Cylons in their three piece suits with their bottom lines won't stop us. Either on the screen or in reality.
We'll have our continuation and our real O'Neill colonies in space.
The Alligator still lives!

As always;
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #77
Shatter
Bad Email Address

A prodigal member poking his head in with a thought...

I read over Captain Tux's post that inspired this thread and found that it hit close to home, perhaps because in recent days I've found myself mulling over why I continue to adhere to TOS despite the momentum of the "reimagined" version. Were I to attempt what Tux suggested, and try to sell someone on the idea of a continuation of TOS, I think that the cornerstone of my argument would be simple and very "non sci-fi" in nature. For although I cherish the characters, technology, and universe of TOS, it is what I personally have always perceived as the central theme of the series that conitinues to draw me back to it, and fuels my hope that the story will someday continue.

We live in a cyncial age, where we witness some of the worst that humanity has to offer on a daily basis via the steady assault of media. One can't deny the reality of evil in the world. To fail to acknowledge its existence is naive. But it seems to me within the realm of entertainment, incluidng print, television, and film, a subtle hopelessness has invaded many of the stories that are presented in recent years, a despair that argues that the worst that is in mankind is essentially unavoidable and that, to a certain degree, all that individuals can do is struggle to survive and accept the fact that evil, within and outside of themselves, is here to stay. A few months back, I watched a few episodes of the ill-fated Law & Order spinoff Conviction, and although I found some of the stories interesting, as a whole the show wasn't especially compelling, as I found the central characters primarily devoid of morals, weaving through their professional and personal lives with an ever shifting set of situational ethics. The show epitomized what I sense in a great deal of entertainment now: protagonists that are not flawed, but corrupted, carrying the message that everyone is steered by their basest instincts.

History doesn't hold that supposition to be true. Some of the stories I was fortunate enough to grow up with as a child presented examples of individuals that acted out of nobility and rose up to meet challenges that were daunting, in an effort to defend what they believed to be right. In terms of fictional characters, I was always taken with the Arthurian legends and Arthur's insistence that might be a force governed by right, strength in the service of good. Battlestar Galactica fell right in line with the heroic stories of my youth. It presented a world wherein individuals were flawed, even weak, but they were ultimately ruled by their noblest instincts and made a stand against evil, devoting themselves to the protection of those that were weak. Tom, TOS presents a timeless story with timeless values, demonstrating that even those that have flaws can become heroes, and that standing up for good, even in the face of terrible odds, is ultimately the right course of action, and one that yields eternal rewards. Just as the Arthurian tales haven't grown old with countless retellings and additions, I belive that TOS taps into the same heroic tradition, and a continuation of the saga would offer more stories (with great characters, cool tech, and fascinating adversiares) that would inspire and challenge viewers. In short, it's a saga well worth extending, for viewers young and old, familiar and unfamiliar.

And were it continued, I think even after a single viewing, it wouldn't need "selling" to newcomers. Timeless tales have a magic that draws all of us in.

Just my two cents.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #78
CaptainTux
Warrior

I know I replied to this thread in the past, but I am feeling deep at the moment. Not including miniseries and made for tv movies, I have three all time favorite sci fi shows. Farscape, Firefly, and the one that struck a positive chord in a dark child hood, Battlestar Galactica.

Farscape is all about the hammering of John Chichton for me. How much can one man take and how far will he go. In the beginning he could not kill, in the end, he was willing to take out the galaxy. Suffice to say the show is all about one man for me.

Firefly....wow. It is the first time a show touched nerves on me since BSG and that is a thread all its own. Suffice it to say it is possibly the most amazing show ever written.

Battlestar Galactica. Okay, fine. It gave me a defined good and evil when I needed it. It gave me an ensemble of people to aspire to, respect, and root for. So why is that important for others? Why is this something we should share with the new generation of sci fi fans and why is it something to wish it could have been continued with the original cast...or at least a next generation based on the original vision?

The answer is simple...we need what BSG offers. We need heroes, we need leaders without moral ambiguity, we need hope in the face of desperate circumstances, we need faith, and we also need a good time. During the great depression the best selling movies were Shirley Temple films and Westerns. Shirley Temple made sense. She was cute and adorable and put smiles on faces that had not smiled and forgotten in some time....but western serials? It makes sense. People were suffering over matters that were unclear. Let's face it...how many folk today understand why decisions made by men on a trading floor means they lose a job, price of gas goes up, and beets become less affordable? The bad guy was intangible. It was something that did not make sense. Polly Purebread tied to the train tracks as Black Bart twirls his mustache and giggles at the sound of the train whistle made sense. It was tangible and real and the suspense was palatable. The hero would ride in on a horse, rescue Polly, and smack and shoot Bart at high noon. Or Pa and his boys were gonna lose the ranch to the wicked men and the family would have to pull together with the help of a stranger. Maybe a town was under siege and Miss Kitty would have to call in an old friend to help. It did not matter. The bad guys were bad, there was no complexity, there was nothing to understand, there was no confusion. The good guys were good. They did not have a dark side, and if they did, it was because Bart killed their kid brother or they needed to redeem themselves from something dark they did decades ago. Reality sucks. The studios need to remember that we need escape from reality, not a reflection of it to dilute the fantasy we are looking for in science fiction.

The bad guys were the Cylons. Why? They hate peace and equality and all the things that make us noble. Why? because they are evil. They have no souls.

The good guys? They come of different races, genders, and backgrounds. A socialator got to be a physicians assistant and got to be part of the family, publicly accepted by one of the best known families in the fleet. A Commander lost a son, a wife, and most of his peers. Shouldered with the burden of the survival of his species, he has followed a path of faith and wisdom and love and knew when to invoke diplomacy and when to invoke might. A cowboy and a lover who seemingly has not a care in the world....will follow his friend in suicide mission after suicide mission because he yearns to be more than the sum of his parts. He claims to be a loner, but is bound by friendship and love and duty. A son who lost a mother and a kid brother. In the midst of the pain, has time to fall in love and take in an orphan. When the love is lost, he never curses fate and does not shirk from duty...be that duty to the fleet or to a little boy. I could go through this list all the way to Jolly if I cared to.

Today our politicians are corrupt, our sports heroes are thugs, and our heroes are wicked and the villains are misunderstood. While the elite say BSG and Shane and the Rifleman and Superman are simplistic popcorn and lack depth....I say this is out hope and this is our chance. The children are lost and alone and their icons spend as much time on court tv as they do on the court or screen. When they are on tv...the character is another uninspired, homogenized, gray character painting a gray world a little more gray.

It is time for a little hope, faith, and love.

Battlestar Galactica brilliantly exemplified that with simplicity. That is not popcorn, that is brilliance. When you do not need a playbook to explain what is going on, you have communicated a message effectively. That is brilliance and quality storytelling. The right inspiration can shape a dark world into a brighter place. We may aspire to be the heroes we secretly yearn for. Maybe it is about time a splash of color was added to the gray.

That is all I have at the moment. I hope my ramblings made sense and I hope I sold the candidate BSG well.

Tux
CaptainTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #79
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I could not possibly have said it better.

Well done, my friend.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #80
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Very well told, my friend.

Personally, I just like a good story....I don't care if the good guys are pure, or morally ambiguous. I don't care if the bad guys are evil incarnate, or misunderstood. Just tell me a good story. Just entertain me, and the job's done.

But I do get where you're coming from, amigo. 110 percent.

Take care,
Martok
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #81
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTux
I know I replied to this thread in the past, but I am feeling deep at the moment. Not including miniseries and made for tv movies, I have three all time favorite sci fi shows. Farscape, Firefly, and the one that struck a positive chord in a dark child hood, Battlestar Galactica.

Farscape is all about the hammering of John Chichton for me. How much can one man take and how far will he go. In the beginning he could not kill, in the end, he was willing to take out the galaxy. Suffice to say the show is all about one man for me.
Farscape is an unabashed "re-imagining" of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon (the ORIGINALS). A good one, to be sure, but the human "fish out of water" story taken to it's extreme. No fault there, just acknowleging the source.

Quote:
Battlestar Galactica. Okay, fine. It gave me a defined good and evil when I needed it. It gave me an ensemble of people to aspire to, respect, and root for. So why is that important for others? Why is this something we should share with the new generation of sci fi fans and why is it something to wish it could have been continued with the original cast...or at least a next generation based on the original vision?

The answer is simple...we need what BSG offers. We need heroes, we need leaders without moral ambiguity, we need hope in the face of desperate circumstances, we need faith, and we also need a good time.
Being a big fan of moral ambiguity, I'll have to agree to dis-agree! I believe what we need are leaders who know the definition of moral ambiguity and know how to use it to the advantage of the people they serve. Not just themselves. I don't believe that a black&white approach to reality is a safe one all the time. Especially when humanity is involved. That's why Commander Adama had the fashizzle. He knew when to bend or break the rules in order to keep 1000 pounds of humanity in a 5 pound space baggie.

Quote:
During the great depression the best selling movies were Shirley Temple films and Westerns. Shirley Temple made sense. She was cute and adorable and put smiles on faces that had not smiled and forgotten in some time....but western serials? It makes sense. People were suffering over matters that were unclear. Let's face it...how many folk today understand why decisions made by men on a trading floor means they lose a job, price of gas goes up, and beets become less affordable? The bad guy was intangible. It was something that did not make sense. Polly Purebread tied to the train tracks as Black Bart twirls his mustache and giggles at the sound of the train whistle made sense. It was tangible and real and the suspense was palatable. The hero would ride in on a horse, rescue Polly, and smack and shoot Bart at high noon. Or Pa and his boys were gonna lose the ranch to the wicked men and the family would have to pull together with the help of a stranger. Maybe a town was under siege and Miss Kitty would have to call in an old friend to help. It did not matter. The bad guys were bad, there was no complexity, there was nothing to understand, there was no confusion. The good guys were good. They did not have a dark side, and if they did, it was because Bart killed their kid brother or they needed to redeem themselves from something dark they did decades ago. Reality sucks. The studios need to remember that we need escape from reality, not a reflection of it to dilute the fantasy we are looking for in science fiction.
That's exactly the feeling one gets from watching the epic Lord Of The Rings trilogy. And you are correct. Humanity needs a break every now and then to maintain what passes for sanity. In an objective view, it's really just lying to ourselves. But a necessary fantasy nonetheless. There were NEVER heroes pure of heart nor were there EVER villains operating simply for the purpose of evil for evil's sake (unless they were insane). John Wayne, while a standup guy and all around Hollywood like-able person, wasn't Sterling Pureheart the white Paladin in real life. He was a guy. Just like a million other guys in the great unwashed masses... going to work, doing his job, reacting with a mixture of logic and emotion to what life handed him.

It is refreshing, however, to allow ourselves the conceit of heroes and villains in cinema. It makes comforting entertainment. And that is one of the many functions of film/tv/radio/media. In fact, in light of the great tradition of storytelling, one might say one of the MAIN functions.

Quote:
The bad guys were the Cylons. Why? They hate peace and equality and all the things that make us noble. Why? because they are evil. They have no souls.
Actually, if you examine the clues prvided in the story, one could infer that the Cylons were created to BE evil by the agent of evil itself, Count Iblis. If he was involved to a extent where his actual voice was used as that of the Machine Leader and then later transferred to the Imperious Leader, one could judge from the nature of the character that he was directly responsible for the ensuing situation.

Quote:
Today our politicians are corrupt, our sports heroes are thugs, and our heroes are wicked and the villains are misunderstood.
While technically you are correct, I'm going to have to call this "looking through rose colored glasses". The overall trend in media is towards a "dark" hero... agreed. But I'm afraid that if you examine history you will note that corrupt politicians and sports thugs are no new phenomenon. It has been that way since time immemorial. As for wicked heroes, one has to come to terms with that self-same moral ambiguity. Is it not wicked to kill? Sherriff Matt Dillon, The Lone Ranger, The Batman, The Phantom, even Roy Rogers... all of them summarily killed their adversaries at one time or another. The only "hero" to eschew killing was Doc Savage, who captured his enemies whenever possible and performed brain surgery on them at a secret facility in upstate New York in order to turn them into useful members of society. But the killing of villains is a convenience afforded by storytelling. The creator is allowed to design an unredeemable person so vile and wicked that the only way to deal with them is to "kill them all and let God sort it out". Its a gift of the medium... catharsis. One could almost call it an emotional reward. We don't have that luxury in reality. Reality isn't that black and white. If it were, Pro Wrestling would be the only entertainment available.

Quote:
While the elite say BSG and Shane and the Rifleman and Superman are simplistic popcorn and lack depth....I say this is out hope and this is our chance. The children are lost and alone and their icons spend as much time on court tv as they do on the court or screen. When they are on tv...the character is another uninspired, homogenized, gray character painting a gray world a little more gray.

It is time for a little hope, faith, and love.

Battlestar Galactica brilliantly exemplified that with simplicity. That is not popcorn, that is brilliance. When you do not need a playbook to explain what is going on, you have communicated a message effectively. That is brilliance and quality storytelling. The right inspiration can shape a dark world into a brighter place. We may aspire to be the heroes we secretly yearn for. Maybe it is about time a splash of color was added to the gray.

That is all I have at the moment. I hope my ramblings made sense and I hope I sold the candidate BSG well.
You make perfect sense. But I don't find your assesment of the world as nothing but gray to be an accurate one. The placement of color in the world is subject to the individual... and to the perception of the rest. Nature provides us with more color (in a metaphorical sense) than we can understand... add to that the color of society and the individual and we are subject to a rainbow of infinite breadth. But one must be willing to perceive it in full spectrum and not just obsess on a single color.

Hope, Faith, and Love, in my view, must remain the exception to the rule or they lose all meaning. I won't deign to argue that the existence of simplified fare like Galactica is necessary to distill and promote the message of Hope , Faith and Love, but these things are meaningless unless they are contrasted against their abscence or loss.

That having been said, I agree that Galactica is a smashing example of the epic storytelling art... carrying all the classic hallmarks that make it a much more useful thing to society than simple, empty entertainment.

-Gordon
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:22 PM   #82
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

I was 15 when it first air and i had to argue with my mom to watch it see want to watch the award show. when she finally let me watch it the first thing i saw was zac dying and adama saying that was my son.
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #83
Dyonisis
Shuttle Pilot

i was 8 or 9 when it aired and ever since then ive been hooked
Dyonisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #84
Norsehound
Shuttle Pilot

I feel compelled to reply... before I go into my reasoning I have to state that I'm 21... I was born after Galactica came and left. There is no 'it was on when I was a kid' nostalgia for me.

I'm not sure when I saw it for the first time, maybe it was a re-run when I was a baby. I didn't recontact galactica until sometime in my middleschool years... maybe it was on the Scifi channel or so. I loved the Battlestar, and came to grow and admire the cast, also.

Why do I stand beside the origional even after Ron Moore's promises of a newer, flashier series?

...As I said, I love the ship, but I also love the mythos behind it. There's something deeper here, a living history that is only alluded to us in myths. There is a great evil among the stars in the form of Iblis... Earth, which we all know and live on, is a myth to these ancestors of ours across the stars somewhere. The fact that the roots of their mythology is found in ours only brings the tie between us and the colonies all the more closer.

The characters are also another significant draw. Adama is the ideal leader, one who commands and one who administrates. He's father to his son and daughter, and in some respects the entire fleet. He faces down Iblis without so much of a flinch, knowing the being is evil.

Starbuck is another memorable hero simply for the fact that nothing gets to him. He's always optimistic, and the resonant humor between him and the rest of the cast is always something to smile about (especially as I'm reading the novelized version of 'Saga' again.)

I'm such a fan I created an entire battlestar out of Legos. It's the oldest intact model I've ever constructed- made way back even before a move to another city! Only after my Uncle sent me his own Galactica model (after I oogled over it on a visit to his place) did I find the innacuracies.

Galactica, I see, has the potential for a long-reaching epic about heroism in the face of incredible odds. It's a potential that remains unfulfilled...
Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #85
Toltec42
Bad Email Address

I was always intrigued by the multicultural aspects of the show and a little disappointed they didn't explore some of those ideas further.
Toltec42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #86
Arachne
Bad Email Address

Default Re: What kindled your interest?

I don't think I ever watched BSG when it originally aired, but I don't remember a time when I didn't know about it. In spite of that, I kind of came to it in bits and pieces. I'd see pictures and articles, and they caught my interest, but I didn't get to see much of the actual show. I had an Imperious Leader action figure (which quickly got renamed "Bubblegum Head"), and the Cracked parody, plus a few of the Marvel comics. I liked Athena right from the start. She got to fly Vipers! (Princess Leia never got to fly X-wings.) Eventually I came across The Cylon Death Machine at a garage sale, and then the novelization of Saga of a Star World. Once I got online, I found out there were videos released, so I finally got to see some episodes. I also got to read about the episodes I didn't have and read lots fan fiction. I was rather disappointed that Athena didn't get as much screen time as I expected, but I still loved the show.

I finally got the dvds about a week and a half ago, and I've now seen all the episodes. The series was actually better than I thought it would be, so I'm kind of annoyed that I waited so long.
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #87
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
I finally got the dvds about a week and a half ago, and I've now seen all the episodes. The series was actually better than I thought it would be, so I'm kind of annoyed that I waited so long.
Like I said before, it's never too late! I still haven't gotten the money to pick up my own set of the DVDs, so I'm jealous!
Mieal Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #88
JAFO
Bad Email Address

I'm new to this site and this thread looked like a good place to start. I've been a fan of BSG since I was 8 - same year the show first aired. I was already a huge Star Trek fan (local TV station would run repeats on Saturday afternoons), then Star Wars hit. My mom used to buy me the sci-fi tv/movie magazines - especially Starlog. So I was all primed when BSG came out. I remember being blown away by it! And I remember that they had ads in Starlog for Warrior jackets - in kids' sizes!!! Man, I think I drove my mom crazy begging for one of those Anyway, I just loved the show from the first episode. The ships, the uniforms, man the blasters were just too cool.

Then in '81, or maybe '82, we went to Universal Studios in CA for the first time and I got to go through the Battlestar Galactica experience - it wasn't a ride but part of the backlot tour (but i'm sure you guys know all about it) and I swear, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I could NOT believe Colonial Warriors were battling Cylons right there in front of me! Definitely NOT something a kid from North Carolina sees every day.

Now, I'm a single dad with an 8 1/2 year old daughter. And she loves BSG! Ok, so maybe Starbuck has something to do with that But she digs watching it with me. And watching it now, 30 years later, I still love it. Now, if I could just come up with the cubits for that Warrior Uniform...

JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM   #89
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

JAFO, First off, GREAT screen name!! I love it, ever since seeing the movie Blue Thunder.

Second, that's a great story there. I've been a fan from the beginning as well. and LOVED being able to see it week after week. (and then every day when it went into reruns in the 80's)

As for getting the cubits for the warrior's uniform, you're not alone there, a whole group of us are working to get the uniforms done!

And trying to help others do it too. Check out the costuming section in the Shatterer worlds section

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM   #90
JAFO
Bad Email Address

Thanks Reaper! I scanned the thread regarding the uniforms and if there's a pattern that can be used and a materials list I'll get one made this year. Looks like the best place for a blaster rig is Battlestargalactica.org - a little pricey but they look good so I think I'll splurge. The boots...well, that looks like it's gonna cost

As for the screen name, I've loved Blue Thunder since I first saw it. As a kid I watched the Blue Thunder TV show too. And I've got pictures of what's left of the chopper I've taken at Disney World on several vacations (she's nothing more than a bleached out, beat up shell but every time I see her I think..with a little paint and a little work she'd be right). Unfortunately I don't have pics of the Viper they had at Universal; I don't even remember seeing it IF they had it when I was there . Probably cause I was blown away by the tram ride through the battle. But how cool would it be to have that in your backyard??? Or am I the only one who's googled "full size colonial viper replica"?

Anyway, I love the original series - for me, that's it. You need somebody to help defend Caprica? Sign me up!

JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote