Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thumbs down Newspaper frakkin' bans use of frakkin' word in place of (you know)

Newspaper frakkin' bans use of frakkin' word in place of (you know)

Here is some news that you will not frakking believe. Some frakking frakkers at Hearst Connecticut Media Group have banned the word "frack" from their comments section. Our response to that? You guessed it. FRAK!

Here's the full article:

http://blastr.com/2012/10/newspaper-bans-use-of-wor.php
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Re: Newspaper frakkin' bans use of frakkin' word in place of (you know)

Well, good for them, since it really wasn't meant to replace that word anyway.

Loved the juvenile comments, too. Proves they were right in doing so.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

100% agree Dawg! Thats not the way the word was used in the show at all, it wasnt a replacement for the "F" word. They did that on GINO, but they had much of the terminology wrong anyhow.

With that being said I do think that "felgercarb" was basically a stand-in for the "S" word, an undesirable waste product.
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
With that being said I do think that "felgercarb" was basically a stand-in for the "S" word, an undesirable waste product.
I don't know - maybe. I think of it more along the lines of something useless/encumbering/excessive. And yes, the "S" word is often used these days for that kind of thing.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Lara
Squadron Leader

The use of a direct sustitute in waaay obvious ways was going to get it banned.. duhh!! of course. The same thing will happen to frell or any other genre jargon they choose to abuse in the same way and put into an offensive phtase.

I thought the original usages were a nice touch, and becasue they weren't overused or used as a direct subtitue in a modern swearing construct, had just enough 'well maybe' to survive the wowsers.

My take was frack was 'heck' or damn! and felgercarb was 'bullfelgercarb' or 'rubbish'

Add to it in the intervening 30 years swearing has become cruder, meaner and far more publically prevelant (the comments on the syfy board would have had my nanna making them eat soap for a week!) and the misuse gets worse!

BTW my last employer had trouble from billboards advertising a plastic bottle verion of cartoned flavoured milk where they said 'we've toughened the FUIC up.." (see below, it has a pic with the billboard visible in the top left) and the problem was precisely that is was a direct substitute of a offensive word in a phrase that was commonly known to have that offensive word in. see below for a comparison of less childish responses from people, pro and con :-) It got through because it was humourous riff and not spitefull (ther's a lesson for some of the kiddies..)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225789643681

This is a drink that outsells cococola... and has the male 16 to 30year old demographic..

Cheers
Lara
Old October 19th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

And this affects the world at large....how? Hardly news, but newspapers do have someone to answer to for their content. No surprise to me.

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
100% agree Dawg! Thats not the way the word was used in the show at all, it wasnt a replacement for the "F" word. They did that on GINO, but they had much of the terminology wrong anyhow.

Yes. It's ancient Kobollian for "post-metabolic biomass".
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Ah well, at least my t-shirt still says: "Frak you, you frakkin' frak!"
Some folks just get really upset over nothing.

As for the usage of the word back in '78, only Poppa Larson knows for sure exactly what "frak" meant. If you've ever read the novelizations of some of the classic episodes, they have harsher Earth-borne language that you never would've heard in the broadcast versions back in that time.

So, I'm not gonna place '78 Galactica on any moral pedestal.
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
So, I'm not gonna place '78 Galactica on any moral pedestal.
I don't think anyone is going that far, but your shirt and the recent perplexing PRAISE of our (female) prime misnister as 'one badass mother f****r' by an american pro feminist blogsite shows public standards have morphed into wierd place that has the capacity to offend mightily yet we are told to suck it up and deal with it. I hate to think what they would have called her if she'd said something they didn't like!!

I am 'old fshioned' in this.. I think public displays of profanity desensitizies us and lessens us as a community. It is also confronting, not just challenging.

If I didn't know you and only saw you in a social situation wearing a t shirt with a slogan that clearly translated to 'F you, you EFFF'ing EffF'er' I would never bother to find out any more about you and would have already made some pretty harsh assumptions about you and your view on the world and your fellow man. I do NOT see it as ironic or clever, despite the font and being a SciFi fan. In your case, knowing you from these boards, I would have missed out on a rich and stimulation acquintance

Lara
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I don't think anyone is going that far, but your shirt and the recent perplexing PRAISE of our (female) prime misnister as 'one badass mother f****r' by an american pro feminist blogsite shows public standards have morphed into wierd place that has the capacity to offend mightily yet we are told to suck it up and deal with it. I hate to think what they would have called her if she'd said something they didn't like!!

I am 'old fshioned' in this.. I think public displays of profanity desensitizies us and lessens us as a community. It is also confronting, not just challenging.

If I didn't know you and only saw you in a social situation wearing a t shirt with a slogan that clearly translated to 'F you, you EFFF'ing EffF'er' I would never bother to find out any more about you and would have already made some pretty harsh assumptions about you and your view on the world and your fellow man. I do NOT see it as ironic or clever, despite the font and being a SciFi fan. In your case, knowing you from these boards, I would have missed out on a rich and stimulation acquintance

Lara
+1

Profanity is also laziness.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #11
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I can appreciate that view, Lara.

That said, you'd probably never want to visit New Orleans. You'd find a desire to be to your lonesome quite strong. Lots of profane and vulgar t-shirts worn by folk, not to mention all the strip clubs, and the general language flung about the street.

If it's any consolation, I do have a couple of shirts that are truly vulgar (and not sci-fi vulgar), but I do not wear them on Bourbon St.
1. Sure, they'd give everyone a good kick, but, you might just run into someone whom it truly rubs the wrong way, and then they might wanna start a fight with you.
2. Our boss doesn't like us using the true "F" woid over the mic, and I'm sure he would not appreciate me wearing my more vulgar shirt with that word on it.
3. I do try to remain somewhat classy, even on Bourbon St.

I do wear the most politically incorrect t-shirts I can get away with, as long as they don't have the true "F" woid on it.

Heh...interestingly enough, I got my t-shirt at a ComicCon, although I did point out to the guy who made it that he was using the lower case version of the Galactica font.
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I can appreciate that view, Lara.

That said, you'd probably never want to visit New Orleans. You'd find a desire to be to your lonesome quite strong. Lots of profane and vulgar t-shirts worn by folk, not to mention all the strip clubs, and the general language flung about the street.
As always, we're cool

No you probably wouldn't catch me hanging around Bourbon street or even my own towns 'entertainment' strip, but the language would bother me less there if I did becos it would come with the territory.. a bit like in my job: I have been in manufacturing for 20+ years and heard rough language from the floor, come across the 'art calendars' on facility inspection etc etc, so I don't faint if I hear/see these things, but I don't use them back at people. (and on the very odd occasion I have; the impact is positively ATOMIC )

Lara
(who spells much better AFTER breakfast,,)
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:31 AM   #13
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
As always, we're cool

No you probably wouldn't catch me hanging around Bourbon street or even my own towns 'entertainment' strip, but the language would bother me less there if I did becos it would come with the territory.. a bit like in my job: I have been in manufacturing for 20+ years and heard rough language from the floor, come across the 'art calendars' on facility inspection etc etc, so I don't faint if I hear/see these things, but I don't use them back at people. (and on the very odd occasion I have; the impact is positively ATOMIC )

Lara
(who spells much better AFTER breakfast,,)
Even I know better than to incur your wrath, darlin'. (((((LARA)))))
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #14
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default my english teacher

This is what one of my high school English teachers said in regards to swearing:
If you use the F word and other really harsh swear words a lot, they lose some of their strength. And so what do you say if something really really bad happens when all the curse words you use have no meaning to you?
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #15
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Re: my english teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto View Post
This is what one of my high school English teachers said in regards to swearing:
If you use the F word and other really harsh swear words a lot, they lose some of their strength. And so what do you say if something really really bad happens when all the curse words you use have no meaning to you?
Then it becomes the laziness of expression that Dawg alluded to.