Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Chats, Interviews, and Podcasts
Notices

Old April 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Laurette Chat Transcript

The transcript is done-

http://www.cylon.org/ls_chat_04-03-05.html
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

http://scifipulse.net/battlestarnews...April2005.html

Laurette Spang On Her Galactica Tour of Duty

Source Cylon Alliance

10 April 2005

By Ian M. Cullen

Although at present the Ron D Moore remake of Battlestar Galactica seems to reign supreme in the current market place, it is the duty of those who are and always will be fans of the original series to keep waving the flag, and believe it or not there are still millions of people out there that remember the original show. In a recent chat event held at the Cylon Alliance which is a website dedicated to many areas of fandom Laurette Spang who portrayed the role of Cassiopeia in the original Battlestar Galactica series talked about some of her fondest memories of working on the show.

The role which Laurette Spang played probably had some of the fastest character growth in the series, initially Spang was only offered the 3 hour movie which was intended as a two part mini series and was eventually released theatrically throughout Europe . At the time there was “ No mention at that point of a series. Cassie was a space hooker, yes. But fairly mild.” However by the end of the movie and toward the start of the series Cassie becomes a nurse or a med tech. Spang is very quick to point out that she had a very happy time working on the set and enjoyed a very good chemistry with Dirk Benedict (the original lieutenant Starbuck). “The chemistry with Dirk was great fun and we flirted outrageously”.

In fact the onscreen romance between Starbuck and Cassie in the original movie version had somewhat of a risqué shirtless scene which had to be cut due to network intervention. Laurette has many memories of this and is aware that there are numerous versions of the offending scene out there.

“I'm not sure about what versions were out there. I just remember shooting that first shirtless one then I flew off to Michigan to see my family for a few days. They called me back and told the two of us to cool it down a bit. The network was a bit concerned.”

One thing that not many fans are aware of is the fact that Galactica as in the original Galactica was not cancelled due to poor ratings, it was cancelled due to the television politics of the 1970's but had it gone on for a second series Laurette Spang's character of Cassie would have seen additional growth because in a second season story penned by Glen Larson it was revealed that Cassie had graduated from the status of a Med Tech to a fully fledged MD. As is pointed by Laurette all the cast were ready to return after Galactica's final episode, and all actors were looking foreword to evolving their characters further.

“Of course all of us were ready to take off after we did 'Hand of God'. We felt we finally found our pulse. You know? The heart of these characters. I would've loved to see Cassie really find herself and her power on that big male run ship, and also to give Starbuck lots of trouble.”

One thing that held up any TV series of Galactica from being made was an issue with who exactly owned the rights. As things stand Universal have the rights for the Galactica TV franchise, however for some time fans have been wondering who owns the rights for any potential movie franchise, Laurette confirmed what many have suspected all along that Glen A. Larson the creator of Galactica owns the movie rights.

“I believe he does now have the rights. movie rights. He sounded like he was going to try to do a feature using the 'oldies' to start it off. I'm afraid the success of this new one probably put a crimp in that.”

When asked for an opinion on the new show, Laurette was unable to comment. “I haven't had much of a chance to see the new BG. Feels weird. The cover of TV guide sat on our kitchen counter for a week. I refuse to mentally give up our Battlestar Galactica to the new guys. (I'm sure it's very good though)”

You can read much more of what Laurette Spang had to share with fans of Battlestar Galactica here where you can read the whole chat transcript. Thanks to the people at Cylon Alliance for allowing me to use the above excerpts. You can learn more about Laurette and her acting at her new website which is http://www.laurettespang.com

=============================================================

Kudos to CA for taking the time to conduct these chats which are classic.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote