Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 18th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

bone Time Tunnel Anyone?

Anybody remember the wonderful Irwin Allen 1966 TV show, The Time Tunnel? It was a fantastic show for the time (pun intended). Rumors last year were that both Time Tunnel and Lost in Space would soon be released on DVD. Well, so far we did get LIS this month, no word yet on Time Tunnel though. Funny thing is, there are many interesting bits of trivia and related aspects you may not have known.

Time Tunnel aired the very next day after Star Trek TOS. Time Tunnel starred Robert Colbert and James Darren, the latter being a 60's pop teen idol. He went on to costar in Star Trek : DS9 as the intuitive holographic night club singer (as the DS9 equivalent of TNG's Guinan). He was married to Miss Denmark of 1958 who probably knew another Time Tunnel costar, Lee Meriwether, who was Miss America of 1955. Miss Denmark's name was Evy, the same as the chimp in BSG. Lee Meriwether costarred in Star Trek TOS (the "I am for Kirk" episode). Time Tunnel was the most expensive TV show ever produced at the time, at $150,000 dollars per episode. It was supposed to be picked up for a second season, but at the last minute was cancelled, probably becuase of the expense (that's what TV Guide said in 1967). Sound like BSG? Cool trivia!

In 1990 the entire series including pilot was aired (I forget which channel), at an absolutely perfect time, while we were very near the time of my daughter's birth (helps quiet the anxiety!). Don't know if it's aired since then. Ooh, and in the episode Rendezvous with Yesterday (I think it was the Titanic episode), the guest star was none other than Michael Rennie, of Day the Earth Stood Still fame.

Just thought I'd ramble a bit!

P.S. Some neat links...

http://www.iann.net/timetunnel/
http://www.geocities.com/TvPilotGuy/timetunnel.html
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0060036/

Last edited by Muffit; January 18th, 2004 at 01:42 PM..
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Interesting stuff, Muffit.

btw, the name of the Star Trek episode, guest starring Lee Merriwether, was "That Which Survives". It was one of the last few episodes, of the third season, shown before ST:TOS went off the air.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi BST! Got a couple more pieces of trivia. Several of the episode titles seem to have influenced both Trek and BSG episode names:

Rendezvous with Yesterday - many TOS and TNG ep names are similar
The Last Patrol - BSG had The Lost Patrol
Revenge of the Gods - BSG had War of the Gods

Old January 19th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #4
Quoshara
Klingon Wolf Trainer

Time Tunnel has aired on Sci-Fi channel... but during the weekday mornings. That's probably why no one saw it. *G*
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #5
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Time Tunnel has aired 2 episodes as a "movie" on UPN during the midnight hours, but nothing is shown on a consistent basis.

Great fun though, I used to watch that show all the time.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Quoshara and Sci-Fi! Thanks for the replies .

Guess I'll keep an eye out and see if it shows up again. Am still hoping the DVDs will come out though...

Old January 24th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #7
Rickyrod70

Good show. Been many years since I've seen it. Too bad skiffy doesnt run such shows anymore.
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickyrod70
Good show. Been many years since I've seen it. Too bad skiffy doesnt run such shows anymore.
Rickyrod -

Not to worry.... Time Tunnel will be out on DVD sometime this year. Just be patient, you'll see it again!

Best,
Bryan
________
Xxx **** tube
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #9
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

You mean I'll finally be able to put away my Viewmaster discs?
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #10
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

If anyone gets an actual date for release of this show on DVD, please post it as soon as you get it. Also, any change they will release Planet of the Apes, the TV series on DVD?
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:35 AM   #11
koenigrules
Warrior

Default Have Released Apes

They have already released the entire TV series of the Apes, including one episode that never aired on CBS- but did on Sci-Fi.
These are the original uncut 48-49 minute episodes.
Check bestbuy.com or ccvideo.com.
I purchased mine and it was around 40-45 dollars- a modest price if you like Apes.
koenigrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #12
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi KoenigRules! Thanks for the info! I never got to see the TV series of Apes, but I did love every movie. Got the Evolution boxed set - only thing is it's fixed letterbox not anamorphic, and mostly mono. But it does have the full extra disk of the 2 hour special which is great! My mother-in-law loved it and we watched 'em all together a couple years ago. So sad she's gone now...