Archangel
Bad Email Address

I really, really want to see it....

but I won't be able too.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Rowan
On Vacation...

I'll give it a chance... had not seen any adds nor heard any mention of it until last night when I saw an add for it for the first time! This place is where I heard about it originally, I hope they are promoting it more in the USA. I still don't know at what time or station though I'll have to do some hunting...
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #4
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Atlantis premieres at 9-11pm (8pm central). If you missed last weeks SG1 season 8 premiere, it's showing from 7-9pm (6pm central).

What's up with the "Give it a chance" comments? Atlantis has been much anticipated by SG fans as the regular SG1 series. Sure there are reservations about the spinoff series, the Wraith seem too much like the Borg, the inability to go home (how can they share technology they find and what about resupplies of food and ammo?), and little information on why they are going in the 1st place. But if the series is just as good as SG1, I don't see a problem of Atlantis having a long successful run. I would have liked Robert Patrick to have survived and have a continued role in the series rather than Joe Flanigan being the military foil to Weir, but thats my opinion. Joe Flanigan has been criticized by some fans as being a poor man's version of Richard Dean Anderson, but we shall see when the series airs. I would suspect that by mid-season, the actors will settle into their roles more comfortably and the on-screen chemistry will be fine.

As far as SG1, some actors contracts include a 9th season, so that series may run on for awhile longer before they venture into possible SG1 theatrical films. It would depend on how well the SG1 team functions without Jack being in charge in every mission or if they add a 4th member later and how well the stories/writing is.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I just like saying "Give it a chance."
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #6
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
I just like saying "Give it a chance."
Marley -

Your reasons for saying it are quite transparent.... Presumably, the only reason that someone could "like" saying such a thing is because that person knows how annoying it was to hear it around here at one time (and it still is) and is trying to see what comes of it. As one of the moderators of this forum, I give you a bit of advice....

Mind your manners and you'll keep your friends!

Sincerely,
Bryan
________
NARUTO DICUSSION
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

ouch!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default SG: Atlantis Premiere (no spoilers)

Hey everyone -

I just finished watching the SG:Atlantis premiere (I get the East Coast feed for Skiffy). It was pretty good - the story was a lot different than I expected - In a good way for the most part. I liked the new ensemble cast the producers assembled for Atlantis - the characters are likeable and watchable. It will be interesting to see how they develop them - given the circumstances that are set up in the opening episode. There were lots of nice sets and SFX - almost a step above SG-1 when it comes to production design.

I won't make comment on the story yet - I want to give everyone a chance to sit down and watch it - some of you on the West Coast just started a few minutes ago....

Have fun!
Bryan
________
Paxil death
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #9
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Alright, I'm watching it for the second time tonight, so that is a good indication that I like it.

Without spoilers, I find it darker, edgier, and perhaps geared more toward multi-episode story arcs than SG:1.

I think this will successfully expand the SG franchise.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #10
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm enjoying it! Its still playing. I'm just worried about "space vampires" being a weak villian. But if they h9old up, I think Skiffy may have lucked out.

And I like the cast sofar.

Old July 16th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #11
Rowan
On Vacation...

and here in Canada there is no sign of it I've been looking every hour since 6 pm
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #12
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Without spoilers, I find it darker, edgier, and perhaps geared more toward multi-episode story arcs than SG:1.
I love dark and edgy it's not fair!!
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
I'm enjoying it! Its still playing. I'm just worried about "space vampires" being a weak villian. But if they h9old up, I think Skiffy may have lucked out.

And I like the cast sofar.

Tom -

If you go to the Skiffy website for SG:Atlantis, they have an episode listing up - they have synopses for at least the first 8 episodes so far. I agree with you about the Wraith as a villain - if all they are is out to feed on other races.....meh! I hope the Atlantis team finds more worthy opponents out there.

As for watching it again - I had to tape it for a friend that cancelled her cable subscription - We'll be watching it again on Sunday, but we can fast forward thru the commercials.

Next week's ep looks interesting too...

Later,
Bryan
________
Brunette xxx
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #14
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999

I had to tape it for a friend that cancelled her cable subscription
Oh Bryan dear brother...
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #15
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Rowan, perhaps Cmdr Taggert can direct you to a BitTorrent site that will allow you to view it.
You do have a broadband connection, right?
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #16
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm at 1.5 hours in.

Not impressed with the Villians sofar....I'm kinda waiting for when Buffy will spring out.

Old July 16th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #17
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Gentlemen, what exactly is your complaint/worry about the space vampires?

One line from the "Lowdown" episode summed up the writing problem of the Wraiths being a powerful enough enemy to have destroyed the Ancients, but somehow stupid enough for our merry cast of heroes to defeat week after week.

How could it be worse than the Goa'uld? They just roam around our galaxy enslaving humans with Trill style symbiotes.
Or the Cylons, aren't they a one trick pony too, just relentlessly pursuing the rag tag fleet?

I can think of a few ways to keep interest alive, or perhaps just keep weekly episodes churning out. Perhaps they will have to find Ancient technology to reverse the effects of a partial vampiric drain. Or perhaps a race that is immune to their attack will be found.
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #18
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

It just hit me during my last smoke break that there is a kind of parallel between BSG and SG:A:

Spoiler
They are both trying to get to Earth being persued by a deadly enemy without enough resources to get there.
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #19
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Rowan, perhaps Cmdr Taggert can direct you to a BitTorrent site that will allow you to view it.
You do have a broadband connection, right?
yup I do have broadband
I had not thought of that idea...
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #20
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Gentlemen, what exactly is your complaint/worry about the space vampires?
The space vampires seem awfully....campy so far....very bela lugousi-ish. I mean I like Buffy and Angel. But I don't think I would like so see a hybred with Stargate.

The Wraith scenes would have been PERFECT for all of a sudden to have a cyborg Slayer played by currently out of work Sarah Michele Gellar to suddenly come jumping threw the stargate and start staking the wraiths to dust with wooden stakes.

That would have fit in perfectly! And that scares me! LOL

Now I thought the Goa'ld were a great motivator to give the show impetus and an imperative (to defend earth) but the Goa'ld themselves never really impressed me when they showed up. I thought they were a weak villian whose threat factor was much better off-camera. Weak for me at least.

Cylons on the other hand while also being a "dumb" villian.. Like the hoards of incompetent PVC stormtroopers in Star Wars. But really.... give cylons a cpu upgrade, some more ram, and there you go, instant great villian. With cool shiny armor to boot! Cylons were the borg before Janeway made them too easy to beat!

Old July 17th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #21
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Quote:
the Goa'ld themselves never really impressed me when they showed up. I thought they were a weak villian whose threat factor was much better off-camera
Come on! Hathor was a great on-screen presence.
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #22
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I notice alot of men were kinda smitten with her!

LooOoooove...exciting and goa'ld.....

Old July 17th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #23
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I liked it. I think it will make a nice complement to SG1, it leaves open the possibility that there could be inneraction between the 2 as it developes
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #24
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

The Wraith needs to have different "hives" fighting each other for prime "feeding grounds". Thats what made the different Goa'ulds so popular, fighting for power, along with their "over dressed, style monger, and attitude"...lol. Otherwise it's like fighting the Borg or the old Replicators and will get old fast. I would suspect the writers focusing more on who the Atlantis team meets and problems within their own ranks, rather than fighting the Wraith constantly. The head Wraiths needs names so the viewers can relate to them more.

There are already spoilers floating around that the Atlantis team meets a race that develops a drug that makes them immune to the Wraith. So that should even up the odds. They need to find another power source too. Should be an interesting 1st season.

Wonder why Shepard left behind the Wraith weapon after he kills the Wraith Caretaker? Could have studied it to get clues about their technology and weapons, plus they know it can kill the Wraith (although it was kind of simple just stabbing the caretaker with it). Did the knowledge the caretaker got out of Sumner get passed on to other Wraith? and how?
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #25
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Good points SCI. I wondered the same thing about the weapon. More power sources means that they can go back and fourth to earth. For a pilot I thought it was good and Wraith clans would add some spice. I do hope they join SG1 from time to time, if for no other reason than to bring them technonlgy
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #26
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

There are other strange decisions that were made, like using the Antarctica power source to send an expedition on a one way trip. Is there any power left to defend Earth? It's obvious now that people with the right genes can activate and operate the weapon at the outpost. Also, didn't anybody notice the power module looked dead and didn't even light up when McKay plugged it? Or did they use the old one that Jack replaced? Maybe the Asgard can recharge/replace the power module or help find another one. Or better yet, give Earth a few of their ships or more technology to build more advanced ships. Conventional battles are more fun...lol
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #27
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

The one thing I keep hearing is about the Atlantis team trying to get back to Earth... The way that Atlantis is set up - it's supposed to compliment, but not neccessarily interact directly with SG-1 for the majority of the first season. By compliment, they do have a base and a stargate from which to operate, they also took along a large staff and supplies for a prolonged mission. They also have neat toys - the "tricorder" device, the gate ships, etc. They have only just begun to explore the city of Atlantis and uncover its secrets and history.

I think that it is a good idea for Atlantis, as a series to forge their own path on television and not rely too heavily on big brother SG-1 for audience support. Had SG-1 not been so long in the tooth, they could've probably had the SG-1 team take the same mission and write the same stories, but given that SG-1 only has one season left, it is more important that the audience learn to like and identify with the Atlantis team for as long as the series holds a respectable viewing audience.

I really like Stargate:SG-1 quite a lot and am sad to see familiar characters go, but it looks like Stargate:Atlantis is off to a pretty good start and will do pretty well for itself as a successor. I think that it's great that Skiffy will be showing both shows on the same night - finally, a SciFi Friday that I won't mind watching. Since I get the east coast feed, it won't even interfere with Enterprise. It will be interesting to see how the premiere ratings stack up - I wonder how well it did compared to the BSG miniseries?

Best,
Bryan
________
Vaporizer
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #28
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I wasn't too sure about it, but I am impressed with it so far...I hope the launch of this doesn't mean the end to our guys for good. I can see how they can incorporate the two and I am pretty sure that they will find an alternate power source to get back to Earth. It will be cool to have Earth play an important part.
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #29
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Is it just me or did the Wraith ships look an awful lot like Peacekeeper fighters from Farscape ?

I enjoyed the show very much and am looking forward to MORE!
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #30
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Jeez... did anyone notice how that huge BASE for the Wraiths, with all the trees growing on the top surface is a SPACESHIP!?!?!?!

That looked BIG. Galactica size.

I guess I'm still wary about the space vampire angle. I've seen space vampires three times, and each time they kinda sucked...There was a really horrid movie called LifeForce, Earth Final Conflicted had space vampires and really went downhill. Then there was this japanese anime franchise called Macross, and it was very successfull, produced Macross the tv series, Macross the movie, a Macross2 miniseries, a Macross Plus miniseries and movie...loved them ALL! One of my favorite animes. But then they went with Macross7 which was involving space vampires....and it sucked.

Space Vampires to me seems like a Bonnie Hammer addition. She likes turning scifi to horror stuff.

But then I'm not a fan of the Goaulds as an enemy either. They awere all too pompoous for an enemy thats so easy to get its arse kicked. Though I like Baal. He's seems to me to be the one Goald I like as a villian. He's got style!