Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:20 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Letter from a Non-Fan

I was bouncing around the web and found this little nugget. This letter was written almost 2 years ago, before the airing of the mini-series.

Maybe we're not as far over the edge as we're portrayed.

Letter regarding the new Battlestar Galactica

Quote:
For anyone interested. I wrote this letter and mailed it to Mr. Barry Diller at Universal studios on Feb 26, 2003. Note that I am a bit of a Star Trek fan, am one of those lucky few who sent in a (ST:Voyager) spec script and got called in pitch stories to TPTB of Star Trek/Paramount in 1998.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Universal Studios by a NON-FAN (for the past 24 years anyway) of Battlestar Galactica -

Hi! This is a letter about the whole Battlestar Galactica remake issue though note that I am not in league with the fans you have apparently been hearing of/from for a while. I have actually not watched the show at all since it first aired, though back then (when I was a kid) I did watch every episode and had fun doing so, as I did with almost all science fiction films and TV shows back then. Up to the point of writing and sending out this letter I have never communicated with the BSG fan base. Also, I am not a friend, relative, etc. of anyone who will gain in some way by your studio (or whomever) doing what I recommend below. I am just a generic sci-fi TV series/film fan and a model builder, and it was through my looking at a sci-fi modeling web site that I came across this whole issue, one which prompted me to write this letter to you (the first of this kind I have written).

To throw in my two cents, I personally am attracted to the idea of a project that uses the old cast (and a couple of shots of the old, original model, which the owner apparently would be willing to allow). To me, that route has much more potential to be interesting and entertaining than another pure remake ala Lost in Space (the movie), The Vanishing, The Haunting, Gone In 60 seconds, Car 54, Invaders From Mars, etc., etc., etc. I know it's not fair to judge a project before it is finished, but with the track record of pure remakes (you surely know I could have made the above list much longer) you can surely understand why I am, as are many others, reluctant to get enthusiastic over a pure remake piece. I would have to hear from a couple of my very picky friends that this pure remake BSG was fantastic before I would consider giving it a chance myself. On the other hand, the idea of having Richard Hatch and others original characters and elements has great appeal to both me and others I've talked to about this whole thing, and I would be greatly interested in seeing something that not only had a real sense of chasing in on the nostalgia factor, but was an update at the same time. It is a shame that you don't see the value of this approach. I believe you're throwing away elements that could give this update project an edge over the myriad other "updates" done since the late 70's. Isn't it the high point of a remake the cameo by one of the original actors? Well, you could have that tenfold with your Battlestar Galactica project, if you used all that is seemingly available to you. Most remakes don't have such an opportunity. I would think that you would want to do something to make your project stand out from the crowd in a positive way. I guess I am here to try to let you see that the interest of someone who is not one of a handful of hardcore Battlestar Galactica fans was piqued by the earlier production ideas.

The fact that Richard Hatch has done so much on his own for this franchise after its demise...: he was just an actor on a show that got cancelled after one season, and he could have easily left it behind as so many other actors do, but he instead stayed with it, went on to write novels and apparently made a trailer that generated a lot of buzz (I never saw this, but you probably know more than a bit about it already). That is admirable, and all that alone would make me really interested in checking out a project involving him. Again, I'm not a relative of the guy, I've never met him, have no real desire to meet him. I would just like to have a sci-fi show/film series to look forward to watching as I've basically given up on Star Trek and Star Wars (I was a huge fan of both before they lost their heart years ago-I pitched to Paramount for ST:Voyager but I don't watch Enterprise and thought ST:Nemesis was too soul-less to want to view more than once). I guess it's a matter of heart to me. Richard Hatch has proven that he cares about Battlestar Galatica, and knowing that some level of heart is behind a project is a bit of a lure to me. And I can't help but feel that I'm far from alone on this.

I guess that sums up what I wanted to say. I hope this was of some interest to you. Thanks for listening and good luck to you and your projects.

- Will Martin
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:56 PM   #2
braxiss
Major

hey we're not alone *that sounds cheesy dosen't*

thats for sharing that, it was very cool to read
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:10 PM   #3
amberstar
Strike Leader

Wow he actually gets it !

Really nice to read BST, thanks for sharing
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Ninja
Warrior

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing that BST.
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Antelope

Interesting read although...

He is too knowledgeable about the Richard Hatch situation and Continuation effort to not be a fan especially a non-fan motivated to write a letter.

My guess is "Will Martin" is a member of the Battlestar fanbase that figured his letter would have more or some effect if he distanced himself from what he perceived to be an angry fanbase who the producers wouldn't listen to.

A well written letter with the tone I hope people use when writing to someone they actually hope to influence.
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #6
julix
Bad Email Address

very interesting!!!!!I am not sure he was innaccurate about being a non-fan. But it was nicely put,
julix is offline   Reply With Quote