Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 27th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #1
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Default Who are the one's being unreasonable ?

The Galactica fans have suggested so many different ways to bring this show back that most of us would have supported but for some reason, TPTB at sci fi feel that it has to be a re-imagined do over and won't budge one bit, even though this is the one thing we don’t want. They want us to give it a chance but at the same time they refuse to compromise when what they are doing is what we are totally against.

We asked for an updated continuation and Ron said he had to go with what he thought to be the best way, a remake.

We suggested other ways such as another story that went on at the same time as the first 3 part movie, a prequel that could have taken place almost anywhere in the time line before the original, Another Battlestar that the Galactica didn't know about that escaped too, a continuation many, many years further on in the time line. This is just a few examples of what the fans are suggesting with many putting lots of thought into it to out line how these Ideas would work and all of them have one thing in common. They add to the original instead of trying to replace it. Plus these fans have given up a lot to come up with these compromises because it's like I said, most want a continuation.

Hell, since the announcement of Ron's re-make, The fans have been suggesting all kinds of ways to bring this show back that would still respect the fan base but Ron, sci fi or who ever is in charge, still wont budge and is hell bent on a re-imagined remake.

So I ask you, who are the one's being unreasonable here?

OWD

OWD

Last edited by oldwardaggit; March 27th, 2003 at 11:20 PM..
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Not Us

I am in favor of some changes such as ship designs, uniforms, ect. Moore had the opportunity to do a great show even if it was a remake but blew it by devastating the original beloved characters. He could have wrote a great backstory for the original pilot and explained the Cylons indepth, the reasons for the war, and other interesting points but chose not to. I could go on and on.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Too true

They are idiots. We have nothing NOTHING to be ashamed about, no remake has done any good. Stupid stupid Hollywood has run out of ideas and they know it. Remake after remake is coming out of hollywood to the point where it's nonsense and retarded. O.K. Oceans 11 was good only because of Steven Soderbergh, but thats it. all others, PANTS.

We know there wouldn't be a repeat of the old series 100% No 70's hairdo's, no weak plots, sexist attitudes towards women, no technicolour picture etc but there are foolish and i hope they suffer badly for their egomaniac decision making in the end.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #4

Default Re: Too true

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kingjason
no remake has done any good. . . all others, PANTS.
I rather enjoyed the Charlie's Angels movie, and both Adam's Family movies. I know I am in a minority when I say I like the Lost in Space film.

The 70s remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers was great! Oh and I really liked the 80s version of Invaders From Mars.

While not every movie remake is good, some have been (and here is the important part) in MY opinion.

No offense guys, but the blanket statements that get thrown around here are what sometimes put people off.

Just cause you don't like something, doesn't mean someone else won't. And they might feel insulted if what they like is constantly being put down.

Kinda how the revivalists feel when others trash BSG?

Just playing Devil's advocate.
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #5
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I loved Lost in space (except for the yellow monkey thing)
Especially after i found out there fx were done in 3ds MAX2.5
woah...
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

AslanC is Absolutely Right(TM) about the remakes and spinoffs that he named. Add me to the vocal minority who liked the "Lost In Space" movie -- I enjoyed the original tv series a lot (got to meet the reunited cast once when we were all guests at something called "MegaCon" in Atlantic City in the early 90s) but never thought it was so brilliant that the whole thing couldn't be done again and differently.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #7
Erzengel

Default Re: Re: Too true

Quote:
Originally posted by AslanC
I rather enjoyed the Charlie's Angels movie, and both Adam's Family movies. I know I am in a minority when I say I like the Lost in Space film.

The 70s remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers was great! Oh and I really liked the 80s version of Invaders From Mars.

While not every movie remake is good, some have been (and here is the important part) in MY opinion.

No offense guys, but the blanket statements that get thrown around here are what sometimes put people off.

Just cause you don't like something, doesn't mean someone else won't. And they might feel insulted if what they like is constantly being put down.

Those remakes were good because the persons filming them wasn't trying to distance themselves from the original source matrial. They where using the original source matrial as a guide and keeping the elements that made the original source matrial work and adding thier own take.

That is not the case in this senario, you have a director who is only using the name and some of the characters and not keeping anything else from the original source matrial.

If you look at the remakes that bombed, the reasons they bombed becomes apparent. Rollerball being a good example.
Old March 28th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: Re: Re: Too true

Quote:
Originally posted by Erzengel

That is not the case in this senario, you have a director who is only using the name and some of the characters and not keeping anything else from the original source matrial.
Original Galactica:
Story about The last battlestar (Galactica) and a small fleet of surviving humans fleeing an empire of mechanical killers after the holocaust of there homeworlds.

03 Galactica
Story about The last battlestar (Galactica) and a small fleet of surviving humans fleeing an empire of mechanical killers after the holocaust of there homeworlds.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old March 28th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #9
Erzengel

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Too true

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito

Original Galactica:

03 Galactica
The 03 galactica is not fleeing from homeworlds but a home world.
Old March 28th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #10
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

That is not a huge departure from the original material.
but i hear that now there are 12 worlds again
Old March 28th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #11
Erzengel

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito
That is not a huge departure from the original material.
but i hear that now there are 12 worlds again
Let's start with what is. First thing that makes a story great is the main character(s) of that story.

Quote:
In his late 50s to early 60s, Adama is the commander of the Battlestar Galactica. He wears the weight of commander easily, like a suit of clothing. He wears a simple day uniform with a minimum of insignia, and his clothes have a well-used, rumpled look. He is a bit of a relic who operates from the gut. Estranged from his son Lee, who blames Adama for the death of his brother Zak, he is a solitary man who knows the burden of command. Adama is old enough to have fought in the first war against the Cylons, robots created for humans who turned against their masters and who now live in distant exile, but he is about to retire after long dull years spent in the peacetime military. But when the Cylons launch a massive sneak attack against the humans, wiping out all the other Battlestars and destroying virtually all life on the Twelve Colonies of Kobol, Adama is the last man standing, in charge of the Colonial defenses, and hungry to avenge the deaths of billions. But after a verbal battle with the new President of the Twelve Colonies, Adama reluctantly bows to civilian rule and agrees to abandon Kobol and transport a pitifully small remnant of humanity to a distant star system, hoping to cut and run and escape the pursuing Cylons’ murderous fury. A thoughtful, insightful military leader, Adama bitterly drinks from the cup of surrender and tries to lead the Galactica’s rag-tag fugitive fleet back to their legendary, possibly nonexistent homeworld, known as Earth.

If we start comparing the two main characters we see the original as a character who is a family man, a military leader, a man who is concern about the survival of the human race. He is someone who you look up to and would his orders to the death. He is also a tactician, and a true insightful, thoughtful military leader instead of a character that that trait was added as an afterthought.

Then we have the 03 adama who is the exact opposite of the main character of the original series as shown in the quote above. He is not a family man (his home is broken, not common in the military), not a leader (you have to read the script to understand the lack of respect his sub-ordinants are showing him), not concerned with the survival of the human race (as shown in the quote above because he wanted to attack first for vengence instead of making a tactical analyist of his situation), not a tactian (see previous statement). He is not someone who I'd follow his orders even if it was in a life or death situation because he isn't protreyed in the script as someone who inspires confidence.

The same analyise can be made with the other main characters of the script. But it is this main character in the original that is the reason for the flight from the holocaust.
Old March 28th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #12
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Greene's adama was a great man but Olmos' adama becomes great as the story plats out.
Exactly becasue he is able to overcome his desire for vengance and with the help of the president secure a future for the survivors of the colonies.

A lot of the inital character traits of moores characters have been blown greatly out of proportion, I can almost guarantee that by the end of this mini the characters will have begun top developed beyond them.
ANd if a series is picked up they will continue to develop through the course of the show.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #13
Erzengel

Well, we'll see if people stick around long enough to see those characters develop.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #14
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Wrong Place to Want Character Development

Hito,

I'll speak up before warrior does. The problem with a developing Adama character is that this guy is a large, starship commander. I'd compare him with an aircraft carrier captain. You don't pick guys who need to develop for these roles.

That's the whole problem with Moore's description of the military. Most display characteristics that even the lowest airman, sailor, solider, or marine would tolerate. I find this personally intolerable. If he doesn't want a military society he shouldn't be building his story around one.

Lead commanders are people who can get things done, don't have to negotiate with subordinates, and have a proven track record for doing the right thing and making the right decisions. To portray them otherwise is simply wrong and fans are right in this criticism.

I can understand giving characters a chance to grow but you have to start them at a reasonable level. I don't think the draft script did that. Admittedly, I'm no fan of the draft script.

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #15
ststeven11

I really wish that TPTB would simply name it something else. That would please everyone:

- The script is still intact with only the names changed to protect the innocent. This would please Moore's fans and folks who like the new script. If it can stand on its own, more power to it! (no pun intended) If anyone cries foul because of the similarities, so be it. BSG was accused of being a SW rip-off right out of the gate and that didn't stop so many of us from being fans of the show. I'm sure Shakespeare had his critics, too!

- The BSG franchise is still intact, pleasing the fans of TOS and leaving open the chance of a continuation.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #16
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

The above SHOULD read "wouldn't tolerate" ... well, except maybe for the sailors.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #17
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

ststeven

Actually, if they changed the names I think the lawsuit would come from the Trek folks, not the Star Wars folks. This seems like a Trek script from everything I know.

Two-Brain
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #18
Erzengel

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBrainedCylon
ststeven

Actually, if they changed the names I think the lawsuit would come from the Trek folks, not the Star Wars folks. This seems like a Trek script from everything I know.

Two-Brain
if that is the case then won't the trek folks sue it with or without the BSG name attached to it?
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #19
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: Wrong Place to Want Character Development

Quote:
Hito,

I'll speak up before warrior does. The problem with a developing Adama character is that this guy is a large, starship commander. I'd compare him with an aircraft carrier captain. You don't pick guys who need to develop for these roles.

That's the whole problem with Moore's description of the military. Most display characteristics that even the lowest airman, sailor, solider, or marine would tolerate. I find this personally intolerable. If he doesn't want a military society he shouldn't be building his story around one.

Lead commanders are people who can get things done, don't have to negotiate with subordinates, and have a proven track record for doing the right thing and making the right decisions. To portray them otherwise is simply wrong and fans are right in this criticism.

I can understand giving characters a chance to grow but you have to start them at a reasonable level. I don't think the draft script did that. Admittedly, I'm no fan of the draft script.

Two-Brain
As a commander the new adama is competant.
I didnt say he was not competant and he grew into competance.
He started out competant but acheaved greatness through his willingness to accept change.

Quote:
ststeven

Two-Brain
I'd sure love it is someone could please point out to me how this script resembles star trek.
With the possible exception of the Wepon coil ejecting like a warp core would i dont see anyhting in this story even closly analogous to Trek.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #20
ststeven11

Quote:
ststeven

Two-Brain
I should've been a bit more clear on that post. I meant to say "If anyone cries foul because of the similarities between the new SciFi/Ron Moore mini-series to BSG:TOS.....," if it were to be renamed, that is.

It actually kind of reminds me of "Dallas," in some ways. I can even see Larry Hagman playing Baltar! Number Six could be renamed "Six-Ellen."
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #21
Erzengel

To many problems with the script in general to make it a good story.

Colonial military is crippled by virus? Glad they to know a starship is vulnerable to that sort of thing.

Weapon coil being ejected? Only starships with weapons coils are in star trek. And I've never know a ship ever to have a single weapons coil for the entire warship, that's not logical.

Other problems in the script as far as technical goes is numerous and jumps out at a reader as telling you that these people are stupid.
Old March 28th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #22
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Battlestars Destroyed

Sadly none are seen on screen like in TOS Galactica. I remember the destruction of the Atlantia.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #23
KJ
Strike Leader

By AslanC

Quote:

Don't take it too much to heart, but it's true remake aren't that good but like you said no all are bad? The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers are a few in a sea of stinkers! "The Addams Family" was more or less a new spin and even you gotta admit Hollywood pushing it right now with everything being remade. I'm starting to think the "Loony Tunes characters" came to live to run Hollywood out of spite. (Bugs Daffy stop it?)

You aren't the only one who watched "Lost in Space 1998" i have the DVD of it (damn good picture quality to boot)

True, we shouldn't come off too strong i agree. But i also agree you don't have to fight fair either, if TPTB want to keep putting us down with "It's only business" then it's only business to to fight back regardless of what they perceive as constantly being put down, to kick a few doors down and make enough points and push to be heard.

But i agree to disagree with you. We are open minded just pissed right now the remake (groan) is being done. It like every Galactica fan just got pee on.

Not good

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote