Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 14th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #1
flyingamoeba
Bad Email Address

Default Fvorite Alien movie

Your reason would also be interesting. I may make that into another poll.
flyingamoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Loved the fun action pace of the second. The first was more of a classic in terms of filmaking. The Alien was really threatening in the first. The second wasn't so scary. But it was more fun. I like Newt and Reese and the android guy.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:08 AM   #3
WARDAGGIT73

That's a no-brainer, easily Alien 1979 -Ridley Scott
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #4
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

The only Alien film I didn't like was the 3rd film. The 1st film, Alien was classic horror film. A bit slow the first half of the movie and lacking in character development (its only flaw) but when the action starts, the film keeps the audience on the edge. Little known fact was that when John Hurt started to go into convulsions at the table scene (supposely a walkthru), the other actors were unaware they were being filmed and their reactions were genuine. Meryl Streep turned down the Ripley role. Also, Weaver wanted to play Lambert.To quote movieeye:
Quote:
With a vast and extremely dark setting at his command, Scott flirts with shots of his characters set against backdrops of complete darkness, using moving shadows, steam, water, sound effects, and low-lit, claustrophobic settings to exact a state of primal fear over the audience; the effect is nothing short of mind-blowing.

One thing I happened to notice throughout is Scott's refusal to reveal much of the alien creature in its entire. The only shots in which we capture a glimpse of its full figure are seen from a distance, while those more intimate shots of its mouth-within-a-mouth mechanism and slime-covered limbs are captured in such a way that it requires the audience to fill in the blanks surrounding them. This works in the film's favor: the intention here is obviously to grab our attention through the menacing feel of the creature's presence, rather than have us gasp in simultaneous fright and awe over nifty creature effects and design work.
Aliens was more fun for the movie goers, an action movie with fairly good pacing throughout. The director's cut included Newt's father finding the alien ship and some dispute whether that scene added or diminished the story line. The SGT dies too soon, imho, but there were a lot of good one liners and sarcastic remarks. Vasquez was too cool, a great character.

Alien: Resurrection was another fun action film. This time Ripley is tough with a nothing really bothers her attitude. Some plot holes and a few cardboard characters, but easily overlooked.

Alien5 is rumored to be directed by Cameron (unsigned) and this time Earth is being invaded by the Aliens. Ripley to the rescue again. Alien6 is rumored to take place on the home turf of the navigator of the ship and aliens are everywhere.

Last edited by Sci-Fi; February 14th, 2004 at 02:25 AM..
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Now that the forums are open again, we're shifting some threads to their homes. This is one of them that really doesn't belong in a BSG discussion, right?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #6
braxiss
Major

how's this? i can't vote because i haven't seen any of the alien movies
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #7
cranky1c
Warrior

I voted for "Alien" because it was the concept movie and stands most firmly in it's own right. A close second is "Aliens." I think of "Alien" as a horror movie and the sequels as action/adventure, with "Aliens" being the best of them.
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote