Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 6th, 2003, 03:53 AM   #1
Last Battlestar
Shuttle Pilot

Default The eve of the war...

Well guys, the time is near. Soon you will see the new vision of Galactica the way TPTB and Moore think it should be.

But we know better.

Listening to the fans (some of us loyal since the original 1978 screening of the show) could have saved Sci Fi from the inevitable failure of it's new show and the careers of those involved. Don't say we didn't warn you.....My comfort in all of this is the thought of Moore, Eick and Hammer who must be absolutely ****ing bricks right now reading all those bad reviews! I can't wait to see that smirk wiped off Moore's face.

I received my DVD set yesterday and was again struck by the sheer magic, the epic scope and the warm sentimentality of BG:TOS. It's really not gone, just waiting for those with the will and talent to bring it to life once again. That time may be closer than we think.

I've always loved Adama's line to Tigh in 'Hand of God':

"I'm TIRED of running"

I'm sure this is how we all feel after many yahrens of fighting the unyielding enemy. Somehow I feel that the airing of the mini series is the turning point in the war. The enemy has shown it's strength, winning the first battle. But in doing so has exposed it's weaknesses, allowing the forces of good to ultimately prevail. We have the combined force of Larson, Hatch, DeSanto and ourselves to see this war through to the end. We will win. Good always triumphs over evil.

The battle lines have been drawn. Launch when ready.

Just some musings from this side of the pond, Mike, Oz.
Expected Completion Date: UNKNOWN

Apollo: 'Let's go home'
Starbuck: 'Some home. A piece of metal in the middle of nowhere'
Apollo: 'Sure beats just plain nowhere! Let's go in....'

".... I am still trying to get my mind around the dried up armadilo look. The 'gator just seemed to work better." -dvo47p

Last Battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

Very well said! I agree, our voices have been heard and we are in this for the long run. The war is far from over, in the end our beloved Galactica will shine again. We have to keep the faith.
I truly believe that once the mini is shown it will soon be forgotten, and Larson's Galactica will be the show remembered.

Amber
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #3
Commander Cain
Shuttle Pilot

"I really think you should take a look at the other battlestar." Cylon pilot
Commander Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Very well said Mike!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: The eve of the war...

Quote:
Somehow I feel that the airing of the mini series is the turning point in the war. The enemy has shown it's strength, winning the first battle. But in doing so has exposed it's weaknesses, allowing the forces of good to ultimately prevail. We have the combined force of Larson, Hatch, DeSanto and ourselves to see this war through to the end. We will win. Good always triumphs over evil.

The battle lines have been drawn. Launch when ready.
Grand, true, wonderful words, Mike.

Evil will always be overcome by good because good is much stronger. Just as one small light can dispell the darkness of a dark place. (If you don't understand that analogy, I'm trusting that Peter Jackson will get it right in Return of the King--watch for Galadriel's gift to Frodo to be used at such a time :z.

Another thing: seeds die before they sprout new, the type of plant that made them. This miniseries is a type of death for BSG: the death of those PTB who don't understand it, trying to make it into something it is not and losing what is precious and unique and right about it in the process.

This is winter in Narnia, the Snow Queen (or was it the white witch?) will be defeated and Christmas and Spring will come.

just some thoughts in a similar vein.....
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Re: The eve of the war...

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Grand, true, wonderful words, Mike.

This is winter in Narnia, the Snow Queen (or was it the white witch?) will be defeated and Christmas and Spring will come.

just some thoughts in a similar vein.....
Jewels
I think I saw a faun by a lamp post, and the snow around it was beginning to thaw...
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Muffit and I think alike. To talking horses and Aslan's Country!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #8
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think I'll just relaz and watch the mini with some popcorn and a vacuum.

A vacuum because I may throw the popcorn at the tv.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #9
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

I'll try and restraint myself from throwing Christmas tree ornaments at the TV screen when Stardoe first appears.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #10
Bijou88

Remember to write protest letters to the Sci Fi channel and the sponsors after the show airs. Really let them know how upset and disappointed you are. Actual letters outlining how offensive this "reimagining" is will really chill any plans to make a series out of this dross. Sponsors tend to shy away from shows that upset people. The battle has just begun!
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:51 PM   #11
amberstar
Strike Leader

Wink Bijou88 has a point

I can't believe what I just saw! on NBC they are advertising the Sci Fi mini!!!!!! I also heard it being advertised on the radio!!!!!!!!
I can't escape, it's showing up everywhere -- GAG!!!!!!:upchuck:

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #12
JLHurley
Warrior

I can't believe that after nearly 25 years, we're one day away from NEW Battlestar Galactica and yet I'm not running around like I have ants in my pants (much like I was the entire month before the BG DVD set was released!).

I'll definitely be watching tomorrow's Sci-Fi series premiere but I'm sure not looking forward to it. Unbelievable.
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #13
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default WOW....

I can't believe that so many of you are actually going to watch this travesty!!! You guys are brave

I will be watching football and maybe some of that Ancient Egyptians show on cable. It has more to do with the original series than this new mini does...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #14
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Default I'm the same way

I'm watching it solely for one purpose - when I trash the thing I want to be able to honestly say 'Yes, I did watch it'.

I'm NOT looking forward to it. Yesterday, when I realized the thing was showing tonight, I was pretty sure I was going to be sick.

Then I just let it go and sidetracked myself - or let the friend I was in IMs with sidetrack me.

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #15
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

I'm dressed in all black today at work, and one of my co-workers just now asked me was I going to a funeral! :laugh: It's going to take a whole lot of spiked Silknog to get through the mini series tonight though!
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #16
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

I would encourage everyone to watch a re-run or taping of the mini and not the premier. I know how Nielsen does their ratings, but there may be some Cylon technology in those cable boxes. As a matter of fact, my cable box has a little red light running back and forth...hmmmm...

jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #17
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default Can't escape either:

I bought X-2 X-men united and low and behold there are two ads for the mini! Talk about a resounding SLAP for Tom DeSanto! Someone should have woarned me!!! or did I miss it somewhere?
And could anyone tell me why there is an ad for a Universal product in a 20 th Century Fox DVD?:confused:
Carolyn
PS LOVE the new smilies!
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #18
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

I'll be watching it on my 13" TV in the bedroom. It's not hooked up to a cable box. I don't see need to watch the new and improved Battlehard Galactica on my 32" big screen TV!

Last edited by Starbuck; December 8th, 2003 at 11:41 AM..
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #19
JLHurley
Warrior

Re: Charybdis' mention of ANCIENT EGYPTIANS, I watched an episode of it last night and it was really interesting--engrossing, even. I'm not tempted to watch it instead of BG (God, how I hate even calling it that...), but I was disappointed to see that they're on at the same time and will definitely be looking for the rerun and any other episodes.
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #20
Belloby
Bad Email Address

I weathered through the heartache of the cancellation, the disgrace of 1980 and 25 years of writing my own material in order to enjoy new episodes of BSG.

No one at Sci-Fi can break me. I can wait another couple of years for the true reunion movie.

Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #21
Apollo

Well I watched it and it was worse than I thought it was going to be! The review at www.ign.com said it all for me. When you think of it this was a great Victory for us Warriors!! The TinHeads have shown their hand and it is weak as a 30 yaheren daggit!! Rejoice my fellow Warriors for Victory is approaching!!! the First Round of Ambrosia is on Me!!!
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #22
Senmut
Strike Leader

If only we could get the real thing!
If only!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #23
LZaza
Warrior

Ambrosa?
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2020, 08:53 PM   #24
Senmut
Strike Leader

That too!
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 19th, 2020, 08:16 AM   #25
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

These bboards are interesting for all the old info that was going on at those times...it's like a time machine. To go back and read all the stuff that we were discussing 17 years ago...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2020, 01:54 PM   #26
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Yeah, though I've noticed a lot of threads from 2003-04 look to be gone in addition to that four year gap we now have from 2014-18. I noticed that the link that had the archive for all discussion from the time the other show was being discussed including even the time when Moore himself showed up here is now dead and inaccessible even on the Wayback (I was recently trying to relocate exactly what he'd said here. I know that despite the feelings many of us had, he himself was never treated with anything less than courtesy and respect for putting himself on the firing line as it were).

The only other Galactica entity from those days that I was part of that is still around is the fanfic mailing list I belong to which started in the late 90s and is where all the "Virtual Season" stories originated.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2020, 03:58 PM   #27
Senmut
Strike Leader

VS! VS! Ra, Ra, Ra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 10th, 2021, 12:28 PM   #28
Solaria CIC
Just Lost My Cherry!

Thumbs up Re: The eve of the war...

The old threads, especially in regards to the 1978 series, are interesting to read, and provide insight. Sorry to see that not all of the old threads are around. Still, it's good to see the Colonial Fleets is here.
Solaria CIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2021, 01:39 PM   #29
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

We sadly don't get much participation any longer. I wonder if that's more a comment on how message boards in general have fallen out of favor in the age of Facebook etc. or if it' s because a lot of old-timers who still have active memberships have run out of things to say. I'm glad the site at least hasn't gone dark the way other sites have over the years.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2021, 07:38 PM   #30
Senmut
Strike Leader

Well, as long as some of keep posting...