Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 1st, 2003, 07:13 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default What Came First

I have been having many debates and thought I should get some facts.

1)Did Richard make the trailer before writing the novels?

2)Who gave the boot to DeSanto? Was it Fox, Sci-Fi or both?
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:48 AM   #2
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default Good luck finding info on DeSanto

Seems that no one wants to address the DeSanto/Fox/Universal fallout. I'd love to know if it was DeSanto that nearly derailed the Moore remake back in March. No one wants to address that one either.
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:49 AM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Another Question

How many revival attempts were there?
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:22 AM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Kingfish, there have been a lot of revival attempts, most only getting to the script stage.
Look for Revival articles on Kobol.com's data archive and battlestarpegasus.com's articles/interviews page (there are 5 or so articles, on Pegasus you have to use the links within the documents listed to see all of them). Same articles are in both places.
:z:

Michael would be the real expert on RH's efforts I believe the chronology went something like
* attended a comicbook con, had longer signing lines than the Trek folks (TNG was still on or within a few years after it finished)
* Wrote comic trilogy for Maximum 1996
* Wrote novel #1 for Byron Priess 1997
* Proposals & script development for trailer, investigating rights issues
* Some Live action for trailer shot Sept, 1998. CGI work before & after that.
* Trailer ready to show 1999, with investors backing
* Larson/WGA vs Uni. suit and settlement '99-2000
* somewhere around here Larson, Hatch and DeSanto simultaneously had plans going.

Are you dizzy yet? Anybody else correct this please.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:24 AM   #5
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Let’s see. I think this is how it went.

1. Galactica 80 was the first revival attempt but they thought that they could just give us anything with the Galactica name and we would watch. This is a lesson that they still haven't learned because they are trying to give us Moore's production that has little to do with the show that we are fans of.

2. I can't remember who it was but I heard somewhere that in the 80s, there was a big time director or producer that was interested but I don't think it went much farther past that.

3. The next thing I heard about , was at the 15th anniversary when Sci Fi showed the 24 hour Galactithon. I remember being excited when Glen said those words; I think your going to see some more Galactica real soon. I have been waiting every since and I thought that it was a given that it would be a continuation. Just like any other fan.

4. I heard that Richard was calling people and asking people (When is someone going to try and bring this back?) He got tired of waiting just as the rest of us and that's when the first book came out. Besides a few minor things, I really liked the book and it felt like Battlestar Galactica. Then somewhere in-between those books, I heard that Richard was shooting the Trailer. I remember thinking; finally this is going to happen. Most ask why we think so much of Richard and I can answer that. It's because he actually did something to get the ball rolling. It's a shame that others walked in to roll it off a cliff.

5. Then I heard that Glen Larson was throwing his hat into the ring with a 40 million dollar deal with Tod Moyer. I was excited until I found out that he wasn't interested in doing a continuation with Richard. In fact he wasn't interested in Richard or any of the others being involved at all. This disappointed many of the fans but looking back at it and comparing it to what we are up against now with Moore's production, I would gladly welcome Glen to do his story on the Pegasus.
At least it doesn't do something as stupid as cutting off the hopes for a continuation. Building on to this franchise is what will make it huge. You don't rebuild a different house when the existing one is the one that we all want to live in.

6. The next thing I read was that Glen's 40 million deal turned into an I-max film.
I read that in Cinscape I think. It was one of those Mags.

7. Then things went dead for a while and through this time I remember Richard kept going to meetings and really trying to make things happen. He wanted to work with every one including Glen. We all thought that with all of this effort and the majority of the fans backing him, it was only a mater of time but that's when the sci fi channel announced their bubble headed bio dome Idea that got laughed at and they retracted it soon after.

8. Then the fandom was shocked to hear that Bryan Singer and Tom Desanto got the go ahead. There have been many people that posted since then saying that we hated this at first and fought against it but are now calling Tom the greatest thing to happen to Galactica. The Same people obviously didn't read much of what went on then because there was a perfectly good reason for all of that. At first it was shock because we knew that Richard had worked so hard to achieve his goal and we knew that his goal was ours as well. We didn't know much of what Tom and Brian had in store because not much was said. After things fell through, we heard that they were going to do a continuation with music by the original composer( Stu Phillips) Dirk Benedict was to be involved with Richard being slipped in the back door because of Fox's misgivings about the original actor thing.
Tom called or met with most of the original cast and he had Richards support. I know it was hard for Richard to let go but Richard told us that Tom understood what Galactica was about and that told us that things were on the right track.

9. Now we come to where we are now. The Tom Desanto deal feel through and it's because while Tom was waiting, the sci fi channel seen the opportunity to walk in and take the production away from Tom. Not only has this but with every announcement since shown us that all these years were for nothing.
All this time of speaking out for what we wanted must have really ticked them off because they are doing everything in the opposite direction of what we had asked for. With all the statements released and everything done since, I don't think I have ever seen this much disrespect for a fan base and the biggest insult is that after dragging us through a pit of Sh*t , they are still asking us to watch this.
The only way they are going to get most of us to watch this crap, is to tie us in a chair put tooth picks in our eye lids and slap the back of our heads every time we look away. LMAO

10. Oh please let there be a number 10. If there is one smidgen of justice in Hollywood, there will be a number 10. Bouncing clowns on a tug boat would look better under the name Battlestar Galactica then Ron's production.

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:25 AM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default OWD

In 1993 Larson announced the return of Galactica.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:44 AM   #7
The Blue Mule
Warrior

OMG! OWD!! Ehh Mr. President I meant to say!

"Bouncing Clowns on a Tug Boat" !!!!!

LOL HAHAHAHAHA That is Funny, Funny felgercarb! I havent laughed outloud in a Loooooooong time, Thanks.(except for Roore Mons(intentional misspelling) BSG re-Imagined Ideas) God that is so Good, Im so inspired by that, and I dont know why. What a great Image that is. Maybe I can create a new animation series with it.......You'll get full credit of course OWD!

Thanks for the Laugh!

Rich
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:57 AM   #8
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Hey I would love to see that. LOL
Thank you for the pat on the head. I be good dagit now.
OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote