Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old February 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Movie recommendation: Temple Grandin

If you get to see it, Temple Grandin with Claire Daines and Julia Ormand is a fantastic movie. It's a true story about a gal who overcame her autism to become a world renowned animal behaviorist and college professor.

If you know someone with a kid on the autism spectrum: it's a must see (though I'd keep it to parents only or parents and teens). The story, the acting, the use of visuals to explain Temple's thoughts are all great.

The director did a fantastic job trying to show events from the perspective of the extremely visual thinking but socially awkward Temple's perspective. The ingenuity and determination that Temple's mother and aunt showed in finding coping mechanisms for Temple and explaining social norms to her and their mantra, "different doesn't mean less" are truly inspiring. Temple is an innovator and a problem solver and they give her the confidence to solve problems in her own way. There is also a dynamite science teacher who was instrumental in Temple's high school years and as a mentor in college.

It's a really cool story. So encouraging for any parent who's kid struggles socially. (I won't tell you why, but the ending is REALLY cool.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Movie recommendation: Temple Grandin

I'll check for it. Comcast was showing it quite a bit this winter but, I didn't watch it. I was always in the mood to watch something else at the time.

A buddy of mine and his wife had 2 sons -- both have autism. The older, not quite as 'severe' as the younger but, it's apparent.

Both are great kids, though.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote